Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Resistance was futile... my MINI has been assimilated to Aero

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Resistance was futile... my MINI has been assimilated to Aero

Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right behind you. My front bumper is at the shop being painted to match my side skirts. Not doing the rear bumper, just don't like the look of it.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by hunter99
Right behind you. My front bumper is at the shop being painted to match my side skirts. Not doing the rear bumper, just don't like the look of it.
That's awesome !

What I don't like about the rear valance is the decal stuff.......I was thinking of doing this to mine...

Resistance was futile... my MINI has been assimilated to Aero-aimg_8938sized.jpg

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Gosh i cant wait to save enough money to buy an aero kit. It looks soooo good. I would just buy the front bumper but i have an '04 with the large chrome bumper pieces which i cant stand.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want an aero kit... How much did you get it for?

Be on the lookout for a pepper white one for me

Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
$ $ $ $

Originally Posted by MrCooperS
I want an aero kit... How much did you get it for?

Be on the lookout for a pepper white one for me
H, you would cry if I told ya what I actually paid for it. And it was prepainted DS too..... I'll keep my eye's and ears open for ya.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it was the market place ad wasnt it... i knew i should have jumped on it! haha

looks awesome!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
ChipG
2nd Gear
Sweet. I'm digging the holes in the rear bumper. Might have to steal that idea for mine

Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lookin good... are you going to paint your arches? Or paint the faux arch sections of the bumpers black? Need to do one or the other ASAP...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Lookin good... are you going to paint your arches? Or paint the faux arch sections of the bumpers black? Need to do one or the other ASAP...
Thanks Blimey - Not sure yet. Living in New England prevents my use of lowering springs and when you paint all the arches and don't lower it, it tends to make that gap between tire and fender - well that much more noticable.

And I figured the GP runs around with black arches and grayish trim, and didn't think they looked that bad, so maybe I would just see how it grows on me. I guess I could always pick up some textured black paint, that would be an easy DIY .

Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by Malcon
it was the market place ad wasnt it... i knew i should have jumped on it! haha

looks awesome!
Not that one.

I was running an errand for a fellow MINI club member which required a 2.5 hr drive, and while out there I stopped in to see some old friends at a privately owned BMW repair/boutique shop. One of the managers whom I went to high school with had the whole JCW Aero kit in a box in the shops attic.

The kit needed some of the usual TLC, but had no major flaws. It was a very sweet deal........and their best mechanic/autobody tech installed it for me free of charge.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Looks really good, and I too am not a fan of the aero rear valence.....the front and sides though, well they look pretty incredible.

Your exhaust tips look familiar, but I can't recall what system that is???

Great pics and awesome car.

Last edited by mini_racer; 03-12-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Not that one.

I was running an errand for a fellow MINI club member which required a 2.5 hr drive, and while out there I stopped in to see some old friends at a privately owned BMW repair/boutique shop. One of the managers whom I went to high school with had the whole JCW Aero kit in a box in the shops attic.

The kit needed some of the usual TLC, but had no major flaws. It was a very sweet deal........and their best mechanic/autobody tech installed it for me free of charge.
Ahh, say no more...your making me cry already. How big is his attic? Got a PW one? Morristown MINI is selling the kit for around $900. But that's without paint and installation. I wish I can come across a crazy hook up like that.

If I didn't have to go my clutch / flywheel job, wheels and aero kit is right on the list.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The Aero kit look fantastic on your car but looks a little strange without the black arch paint on the front bumper and side skirts ! I read that your up in the air about whether to paint the arches or not ! Ether would look good on your car !

I had a hard time getting used to the rear Aero bumper but, after running the stock bumper for a month I decided to mount the Aero bumper to see If I could warm up to it. Went back and forth a few times ! In the end, I went with the Aero bumper because IMOP the stock bumper just looked out of place with the side skirts of the aero kit ! The front bumper would look great all on its own !

Here's a picture of the mod I plan on doing to take care of the "stickers" !

Last edited by pauliekeys; 03-12-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
NICE!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I think I can live with the see through valence, that looks pretty good. However, regardless of the stickers or see-through mod, you gotta move the exhaust tips out to just past the valence as with that black cabrio.

You just need to show those tips!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
I think I can live with the see through valence, that looks pretty good. However, regardless of the stickers or see-through mod, you gotta move the exhaust tips out to just past the valence as with that black cabrio.

You just need to show those tips!
Those tips do look awesome on the Black Cabrio, just the right angle shooting out the back !

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
I am actually doing the pepper white one so MrCooperS you may not want to look when I post pictures of mine. I had the grill painted to look like gRay rAvEn's since I feel the painted surround completes the look so much more.

As for the rear aero bumper just could not get into it. I will admit the black ones with the mesh does look very good but I am trying another solution. I was able to get the black rear bumper trim from a GP. Very understated but enough to let the stock rear bumper blend into the aero kit. At least that's what I hope it will do.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by mini_racer
Looks really good, and I too am not a fan of the aero rear valence.....the front and sides though, well they look pretty incredible.

Your exhaust tips look familiar, but I can't recall what system that is???

Great pics and awesome car.
Thanks

Tips are frm BMP Designs. They had to be welded onto the one ball mod. Another good deal too. Guy had them laying around in his closet never used and sold them to me on ebay for 40 bucks....new they were something like $170.00. Definately different looking I guess.

I was thinking of a carbon fiber decal too. Meantime I will hunt for a decent hole saw blade the right size for the job. I only have one for 1 inch holes right now....

Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by ChipG
Sweet. I'm digging the holes in the rear bumper. Might have to steal that idea for mine
If I do this hole mod, I will have to hunt for the right size hole saw for my cordless drill. Probably 2 inches ?

When I an through with making holes in mine, I can pass it onto you if you need it, then just ship it back. They are usually very expensive.....

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Nice - Black Tie Edition ?

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
The Aero kit look fantastic on your car but looks a little strange without the black arch paint on the front bumper and side skirts ! I read that your up in the air about whether to paint the arches or not ! Ether would look good on your car !

I had a hard time getting used to the rear Aero bumper but, after running the stock bumper for a month I decided to mount the Aero bumper to see If I could warm up to it. Went back and forth a few times ! In the end, I went with the Aero bumper because IMOP the stock bumper just looked out of place with the side skirts of the aero kit ! The front bumper would look great all on its own !

Here's a picture of the mod I plan on doing to take care of the "stickers" !

I love your color scheme of the all white and black, no chrome. Looks fantastic. The arches look very correct on yours. Maybe I will paint mine. I'll grab a photo and do some photoshopping and see how I like it.

I would very much like to paint them OEM DS, but then I feel lowering the MINI would be needed to remove the gap and that is just not a good idea for New England winter driving....

That cut out in the second photo is awesome btw. Great idea because it is functional allowing the air pressure from under the car pass thru better w/o the rear valance acting like a parachute......nice

Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I love your color scheme of the all white and black, no chrome. Looks fantastic. The arches look very correct on yours. Maybe I will paint mine. I'll grab a photo and do some photoshopping and see how I like it.

I would very much like to paint them OEM DS, but then I feel lowering the MINI would be needed to remove the gap and that is just not a good idea for New England winter driving....

That cut out in the second photo is awesome btw. Great idea because it is functional allowing the air pressure from under the car pass thru better w/o the rear valance acting like a parachute......nice
Thanks for the complements, It was a long process to do the complete black out, my front and rear emblems are blacked out as well !

I'm definitely going to look into doing the rear cut out/screen replacement, It's how Mini should have offered the kit in the first place. The stickers are, well, stickers ! LOL !

Painting your arches body color would look amazing although, ether way you go (painting the bottom pieces textured black or body color) would look fantastic ! Dark silver is one of my favorite Mini Colors !

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice. But yes, as others have said, paint those wheel arches matching body color.

And those checkers on your rear view mirror are lonely. Need. More. Checkers.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
One of the managers whom I went to high school with had the whole JCW Aero kit in a box in the shops attic.
That would be nice if it was even possible. (There's no such thing as a JCW Aero Kit for the 1st Gen MINI) Picky detail? Yes... but accurate!

I just got the Aero Kit installed as well, on my Hyper Blue MINI. No pics yet, but I give kudos that you also painted the flat border pieces on the aero grills to the body color. I did that too (as suggested on page 6 of the official installation instructions) but not many people actually do that.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by Edge
That would be nice if it was even possible. (There's no such thing as a JCW Aero Kit for the 1st Gen MINI) Picky detail? Yes... but accurate!

I just got the Aero Kit installed as well, on my Hyper Blue MINI. No pics yet, but I give kudos that you also painted the flat border pieces on the aero grills to the body color. I did that too (as suggested on page 6 of the official installation instructions) but not many people actually do that.
It has the factory beat up JCW Badging in the grill, so I am assuming then it came off a JCW MCS.....and the BMW dealer/friend said it came off a 2003. It came with the grill surround painted too.......didnt have to do a thing.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Resistance was futile... my MINI has been assimilated to Aero