Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Chrome down tubes on either side of the radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a sad story. I sent my plastic down tubes and the figure 8 ring around the cup holders to a company called AVA FINISHING but have never received my the product back. The company gave a verbal estimate and then clarified it once they received the parts. I paid a deposit and then later sent the balance when they stated that the product was scheduled to be shipped out in 3 days. The parts are now a month overdue, my checks have been cashed, their email is no longer existent, phone is disconnected and I have no parts. Their website CHROMEMYPLASTIC.COM is still up and running but I am still at a loss. The company stopped returning my phone calls and now it seems that I have no recourse as they are too far away to drive over and get my money/parts back. I feel violated and am very mad.

Enough of the sad part.

My question is I am looking for chrome downtubes. In the past I saw the chrome downtubes, but I have not found them again. I have looked on CTD-sponsor site and on Chromedesign, R-Speed, Moss and Mini-mania to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
update:

I did find the tubes on chromedesign.com, but they are going to cost an arm and a leg.

Any other sites would be welcomed.

Also, please use my previous email as a warning to not use that company.

Why can't all companies be as nice as the other MINI suppliers that I have dealt with.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
update:

I did find the tubes on chromedesign.com, but they are going to cost an arm and a leg.

Any other sites would be welcomed.

Also, please use my previous email as a warning to not use that company.

Why can't all companies be as nice as the other MINI suppliers that I have dealt with?

Old 08-08-2003, 06:25 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I woudl try e-mailing the compaies whose sites you went to, they coudl get back to you with distribution people.. also have you reported the company yet? you soudl do that either to the Better Business BUereau, the police, , or local tv studio, I know a lot of local tv and radio places go out and fight for the little guy sometimes, esspecially for news egements, it'd be worth a look into at least to get yoru money back.. maybe your not the only one

Old 08-08-2003, 06:26 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the new Mini-Mania catalogue on Tuesday, They are advertising chromed tubes at around $500 for the pair. Not cheap by any means, but they do look wicked.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:27 AM
ToeKneeC67
3rd Gear
You should see if any Mini owners down in Irving TX can stop by there store and pick them up for you.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:30 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
$500???!!! Holy ______ !!! These aftermarket parts prices are getting more and more insane.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:31 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>You should see if any Mini owners down in Irving TX can stop by there store and pick them up for you.<<

Good idea! Better yet, send about 20 MINIs down there to surround the joint...

Old 08-08-2003, 06:37 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
No longer has email, phone disconnected.....sounds like you've been flim-flammed. Call the Better Business Bureau, lodge a complaint, and if anyone IS in Irving, TX maybe they could look up these malcreants. Careful though, in TX its customary to shoot first and ask ques. later.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:49 AM
FrogGuts
3rd Gear
Motor,

I have found a guy in Plano Texas that had some work done there. I have e-mailed him and I'll see if he has any info on the company, or the owners whereabouts. I'll let ya know what turns up.

Cabbage

Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the great responces!

Chollomo- I am in the process of calling the BBB and will file a police report as soon as possible. Both actions may not stop them, as the number has been disconnected, but I will feel better.

MGCMAN- Great tip about MINI-Mania. I had not recieved my catalogue yet and it is not on their website. I called them and they do have them!! The only problem is that I have to also buy the origional parts again, as the chrome part surrounds the tube instead of replacing it. Well I'll just have to do it because my MINI is NAKED looking inside. Yuk.

TOEKNEEC67 & CHRISNL- I agree lets send a whole posse of MINI's. The Texas slogan should be

DON'T MESS WITH A MINI :evil: :evil: :evil:

CABBAGETOE- Thanks for getting the info bad owners of AVA FINISHING.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
Their # on the website is different that the one listed on WhoIs. Maybe you should try this one:(972) 313-2694

Good luck! (I wish I was in TX, so we could go kick some butt)

Old 08-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
>>Their # on the website is different that the one listed on WhoIs. Maybe you should try this one:(972) 313-2694
>>
>>Good luck! (I wish I was in TX, so we could go kick some butt)

We could kick some butt and take their names if we were there!

Both 972-313-0591 & 972-313-2694 have both been disconnected.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:04 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
$500 for Chrome DownPipes is probably about $400 too much....

Chroming is NOT expensive unless it is done one Piece at a time.....
Most chrome work is done in Batches... especially since these are probably Electroplated....(even cheaper)

Good luck and if you want some chroming, I can look into it here.....

Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
There was a thread on here or MINI2 a couple weeks ago that was about chrome rings in the US (search "chrome rings&quot that had a guy posting that did this chroming stuff going under the name "itsamazzing" (or sonething similar). You may want to try to run that down.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:06 PM
CTD-Germany
2nd Gear
"is probably about $400 too much"

I think too. But the problems is to chroming plastic. Real triple chrome plating.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
there is no reason to chrome plastic... get it electroplated with a chrome finish.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
Well good news. I came home on Friday to find a package from AVA Finishing. I was shocked. The company, for all practical purposes, appeared to go out of business and yet there was my package. I was shocked! The pieces turned out well and they look excellent in the MINI. Now I have chrome down tubes and chrome cup holders.

Thanks for everyone's imput and help. I will not be using this company again, but I am glad it ended well. It would have been much easier if the company would have communicated thru the process.

For any future chroming, I'll use one of the minicooperonline vendors.

I would like to have the door cross bars chromed, but I have only seen that on a Japanese site. The door bars are held on by them melting pegs to the back of the door handle. I just hope I can get by without scratching the paint off.

Well enough rambling. Thanks again for everyone's support.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 AM
FrogGuts
3rd Gear
MotorOn!

I'm glad everything worked out well in the end! Glad you got your parts back safely!!

Cabbage

Old 08-25-2003, 06:50 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Pictures please, pictures please!!!!

Glad you got your tubes back!!!!!

Old 08-25-2003, 06:57 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Motor On,

You are so lucky. I'll bet that this doesn't happen to 1/10 of 1% of those folk who find our that their service "provider" on longer has a phone. Yes, you must post pics of the chromed downtubes. We gotta see 'em.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:26 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
I love a good ending to a sad story. And I love when people "make things right" even if they are remiss with communication and timing.

Now where are those shiny pics?

Cheers,
Kim

Old 08-26-2003, 11:15 AM
boognish
4th Gear

MotorOn!

You *must* post photos of your new chrome downtubes! My jet black MINI is chromed out on the exterior (chrome bumpers, chrome mirror caps, chrome handles, etc. etc.) and I'd love to add some chrome touches to the interior... How do they look? Also, was the price from "chromemyplastic" comparable to the whopping $500 price from Minimania?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 08-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Let's roll!
2nd Gear
>>
>>MotorOn!
>>
>>You *must* post photos of your new chrome downtubes! My jet black MINI is chromed out on the exterior (chrome bumpers, chrome mirror caps, chrome handles, etc. etc.) and I'd love to add some chrome touches to the interior... How do they look? Also, was the price from "chromemyplastic" comparable to the whopping $500 price from Minimania?

I would not recommend using the company that I used. The pieces are almost perfect, but the hassle and the non-communication, etc was too much. The price was cheaper by approx $200, but I am not sure they are even in business any longer. When I started this whole process Minimania did not have the option available. Other sites might also start offering the same chrome pieces, but they will still be expensive. If you are going to get your plastic's chromed, then I advise using someone local where you can see examples of what they do and know that they are not 4 states away.
As for getting the pics. I do not own a digital camera, but I will see what I can do. The chrome down tubes and the chrome cup holder, along with the rest of my chrome, looks great. It is just how I had envisioned it looking.

Old 08-27-2003, 10:13 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
For digital pictures just find a friend with a digital camera and snap away. Then download or post the pictures to the internet or to MCO's gallery. Then point us to it. Thanks and we're glad you didn't have to endure any more hassle.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Chrome down tubes on either side of the radio