Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aero Kit Front Bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero Kit Front Bumper...

not as easy for a beginner as you might think. Yes that includes the top grill as well.

First off, the before picture;

The New Aero Kit Front Bumper;

Lights Disconnected;

Light Housing;

Side Reflector Lights Disconnected;

NO idea what this is (yes i have the actual sensor, just removed in this pic), and NO place to put on the new Aero Front Bumper as well ---ended up using tape

VERY hard to get this piece off , took most of the time;

Finally off after 3 1/2 hrs ;

New Bumper Finally on;

That's all for that. Now for installing the top Aero Grill. Everything went well except for the 2 outermost tabs that don't hold in place after pushing them through the holes. This results in the grill not being held down on the ends. You can't fit the fasteners from the old grill on these new clips. Very frustrated with this as well, and of course there were NO instructions for how to deal with this. Ended up using some other nuts and washers...but i have a feeling those aren't going to last.

I'm very interested in hearing/seeing what other people did for the sensor in the middle of the bumper, and the Aero top grill.

Last edited by Winchm60; 04-10-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
I'm going to start putting mine on tonight (I have to get rally lamps set up so it will take a while and it probably won't be on and set tonight). I'll let you know what I find with the top grill and the sensor. It only took me 30 minutes to get it off, but I had instructions. 20 of those were spent jerking with the height adjustment things you mention in the corners. I didn't realize you had to remove the upside down top bolt and leave the height adjusters on the car

Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wire you do not show and in front of the ac condensor is the outside temp sensor.

It only takes me 10 min to remove the rfront bumper.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Ok I struggled with the top grill (some of those fasteners won't go on the tabs), but it appears to be fitting right. I think I got the outside ones on last night but I can't remember.

I do not have a clue where to mount the temp sensor on the bumper. I looked for a minute, but didn't see anything obvious.

How did you get the blinkers in the bumper? I've cut the tab I needed but they won't go in the hole and sit flush. Did i miss something else? I also can't get the side markers in because I need to dremel the hole for it and open it up

Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Darkness
Ok I struggled with the top grill (some of those fasteners won't go on the tabs), but it appears to be fitting right. I think I got the outside ones on last night but I can't remember.

I do not have a clue where to mount the temp sensor on the bumper. I looked for a minute, but didn't see anything obvious.

How did you get the blinkers in the bumper? I've cut the tab I needed but they won't go in the hole and sit flush. Did i miss something else? I also can't get the side markers in because I need to dremel the hole for it and open it up
1: Yeah, the 2 outermost tabs wouldn't go in for me either, but the rest fit fine.
2: I just kinda lined it up where it was on the stock bumper and then used tape to hold it in place.
3: Hmm, the blinkers went back in fine for me; i noticed that they weren't quite flush on the stock bumper, but only off by a VERY tiny gap.
4: For the side markers, i used a circular file and shaved off a tab to get it to fit. Then it snapped in place like the stock bumper.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
1: Yeah, the 2 outermost tabs wouldn't go in for me either, but the rest fit fine.
2: I just kinda lined it up where it was on the stock bumper and then used tape to hold it in place.
3: Hmm, the blinkers went back in fine for me; i noticed that they weren't quite flush on the stock bumper, but only off by a VERY tiny gap.
4: For the side markers, i used a circular file and shaved off a tab to get it to fit. Then it snapped in place like the stock bumper.
I'm reading the instructions right now and they say tie wrap the temp sensor on the grill, but keep it out of the wind...

I've got a gap on my blinkers when I tried but it's not tiny enough for me to ignore. I had a similar issue with the rear reverse light which I forced in. I'm either going to snip that tab off the lens or cut a slot in the bumper... or force it.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the aero grill come with the aero front bumper? Or do you have to order it seperately?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
It's much easier to just remove this upside bolt. Easiest with the front wheel off for access and an extension on a socket.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Yeah i discovered that later after I yanked them out on both sides Fortunate that I didn't break them.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
Does the aero grill come with the aero front bumper? Or do you have to order it seperately?
Mine did. Ordered it from OutMotoring.

Yeah i discovered that later after I yanked them out on both sides Fortunate that I didn't break them.
+1, realized that as well. But with the home made lift ramp i made there wasn't any way to turn the wheels or remove them.

I'm also VERY fortunate that i didn't break them; there were def. some close calls.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Holy hell that lower grill was making me want to throw things (namely the lower grill) across the garage. I got the top row of clips in and the end clips, but the lower clips just won't clip in. I eventually gave up until I can get an extra set of hands to help clip it in.

I put the blinkers on anyway with the intent of putting the bumper on today. The gap is horrendous. I just settled for it because I was going to strip the head of those screws if I took them out anymore. Nothing is stopping them from going in all the way and they are mounted right. It looks like when I put the bumper on it may straighten up and eliminate it.

I tie wrapped the temp sensor on the little notch and it seems ok there. In the wind, but I'll just move it.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Holy hell that lower grill was making me want to throw things (namely the lower grill) across the garage. I got the top row of clips in and the end clips, but the lower clips just won't clip in. I eventually gave up until I can get an extra set of hands to help clip it in.
Yep, that's another thing that went wrong with mine as well. Took a VERY long time to finally get the bottom clips to go in.

Realized today that the bumper doesn't quite look right on the car. There are gaps on both sides where the fenders should line up. Also looks like the top isn't quite right as well. Wondering if that has to do with those squiggly tabs and the height adjustment.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just wanted to add my 2 cents, being that I just installed my aero front bumper and grille today.

The whole process took me about 4 hours. About 5 mins to remove the front bumper (thanks for the tip to remove the upside down bolt in the wheel wells). It took me about 30 mins to get the new bumper set up for installation (cut bracket for front signal lights, file the holes for the sidemarker lights a little bit bigger and redrill one of the mounting holes, mount the lower grille- what a PITA, and install the lights.

Getting the new bumper on didn't take too long (5-10mins), but the adjustment/alignment is what killed me! It took me about 2 hours to get it aligned to my satisfaction. I must say that it still isn't quite to my liking, but it will do for now.

The rest of the time was spent getting the factory bonnet grille off. Those stupid nuts on the plastic studs were a royal pain in the ****! Installing the new grill wasn't exactly easy either. I managed to get the original hardware to work, but again - not to my satisfaction.

Some things I should mention:

**The outside temperature sensor is supposed to be mounted in the lower grille (as per instructions floating on the web). There's a little tab for it, it almost looks like some sort of bracket is supposed to mount to it. I zip tied my sensor to this tab.

**Don't do this alone, if you can help it. This job is a lot easier to do if you have someone else helping you hold the bumper when you are installing/adjusting it. A buddy is also quite helpful for the lower grille installation. I ended up snapping in the end tabs first, then the upper tabs, then finally, the bottom tabs. I could not get them to line up and snap in any other way.

Now for some pics:

Before:

Without a face:

And the finished product (well, sort of...I still have sills and the rear bumper to install):

I live in a two-plate state, but I just couldn't bring myself to drilling into that beautiful new bumper. We'll have to see how long it takes before I get pulled over for the lack of a front plate...

Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
License plate solution: tow hook mount. I've seen them but can't remember where people are getting them. Search around for them and you won't get a ticket or drill that bumper.

I've got my helper tonight. Goal is to get that grill on and put the front bumper on the car, cut the holes in the grill for the driving light brackets, and hopefully get the front wheel wells back in the car.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Check out NAM vendor GoMINIGo. Also Moss MINI has a solution. Local San Diego club WCM also had a version they made in limited quantities. I've got one..BBCooper was making them--not sure if he still is or isn't.

Richard

License plate solution: tow hook mount. I've seen them but can't remember where people are getting them. Search around for them and you won't get a ticket or drill that bumper.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Ordered my tow hook mount from Moss Mini; should be here any day now.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
where can i find a full set of instructions to do this.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Moss mini has them on their website

Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
looking for instructions for the bumper install.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HHFD633
looking for instructions for the bumper install.
Guess you missed the post directly above stating Moss Mini.

Just went to the Exterior Parts/Body Styling Page; found the Factory Aero Kit, and here it is;

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/p...07_100-808.pdf

Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
no i didnt miss it i couldnt find it on that web site moss has. But thank you very much for the link.

What i am looking for tho are instructions someone may have written on how they did it. But again thank you for the link

Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HHFD633
no i didnt miss it i couldnt find it on that web site moss has. But thank you very much for the link.

What i am looking for tho are instructions someone may have written on how they did it. But again thank you for the link
Gotcha, no problem.

Wish i had/knew of directions before i installed mine. Good luck finding them!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
thank you

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Nice link. Will use it for my new aero front.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
did you move the fog lights as the factory directions say. If so how did you on bolt them? Seems the only way it to take the inner fender off.

Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
not as easy for a beginner as you might think. Yes that includes the top grill as well.

First off, the before picture;

The New Aero Kit Front Bumper;

Lights Disconnected;

Light Housing;

Side Reflector Lights Disconnected;

NO idea what this is (yes i have the actual sensor, just removed in this pic), and NO place to put on the new Aero Front Bumper as well ---ended up using tape

VERY hard to get this piece off , took most of the time;

Finally off after 3 1/2 hrs ;

New Bumper Finally on;

That's all for that. Now for installing the top Aero Grill. Everything went well except for the 2 outermost tabs that don't hold in place after pushing them through the holes. This results in the grill not being held down on the ends. You can't fit the fasteners from the old grill on these new clips. Very frustrated with this as well, and of course there were NO instructions for how to deal with this. Ended up using some other nuts and washers...but i have a feeling those aren't going to last.

I'm very interested in hearing/seeing what other people did for the sensor in the middle of the bumper, and the Aero top grill.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Aero Kit Front Bumper...