Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:02 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blackie
So what does anyone think of this 5th anniversary M7 Black Chrome strut brace? How does it compare to thir regular strut brace? It costs 75% more for the bling factor alone, I guess. It sure looks nice, but I wonder if it is as or more or less functional.
It is strictly a BLING finish and actually not even our own idea. One of our customers had one done on his own and showed it to us at AMVIV last year . Some of you sober ones may remember seeing it . Many people asked us if we could do our own version of it but as it had cost this guy just under $500 to have it done to his brace we thought the total price for the piece would put it out of the realm of possibility as a viable product. Recently we found a firm that could do the same process at a much cheaper rate so we basically added the cost of the finish to the cost of the STB and there you have it . Its not for everyone to be sure that is why we only did a limited run of them .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-01-2007, 10:04 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAM loves bling, those babies will sell like hotcakes!

Old 09-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Isn't the idea that CF is stronger and lighter than fiberglass? At least when it is a true CF. Otherwise you are right of course. You are just spending money on bling.

As far as the STB...it's not really their 5th year anniversary. Just another way to make a little extra scratch...
90% of the time it has nothing to do with CF's performance qualities......a CF STB is no stronger than a metal one...besides maybe being a tiny fraction less in weight (a fraction that wouldn't change a thing).

Also...NAM loves bling no doubting that.

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 09-02-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:50 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Griton
NAM loves bling, those babies will sell like hotcakes!
I tend to agree. Had I not already purchased one I would certainly go for the fancy look.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
One of our customers had one done on his own and showed it to us at AMVIV last year . Some of you sober ones may remember seeing it .

Randy
M7 Tuning
I love it. Where were the designated drivers?

Old 09-02-2007, 04:30 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
As far as the STB...it's not really their 5th year anniversary. Just another way to make a little extra scratch...
Which anniversary is it for M7 then? I want to be sure to send Peter and Shelly the proper card.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:02 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Which anniversary is it for M7 then? I want to be sure to send Peter and Shelly the proper card.
Peter's first official event as owner of M7 was the 2002 SEMA show in october of that year . The companies fiscal birthday was Jan 1 2003. SO with that in mind Oct will be five years in business which is exactly when the anniversary STB's will be in stock. What a coincidence A five year anniversary card would be perfect.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Hahaha i was confused when someone said it wasnt the 5th year.....i remember talking to peter back in 2002 about his plans.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haver the M7 splitter and love the way it looks.

This thing just doesn't work and looks like a bad ebay part. I really don't understand why they produced this.

Does Randy have this one his car? I bet the not.

Longboard

Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Only for a photoshoot i believe....definitely not still on his car

Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
I haver the M7 splitter and love the way it looks.

This thing just doesn't work and looks like a bad ebay part. I really don't understand why they produced this.

Longboard

We did not produce this . It was designed by our CF supplier and they asked us to carry it as a favor to them . I had it on my car for a photo shoot as Rally mentioned . Its not my style but amazingly enough they do sell. To each there own, more or less Nice to see you Jesus guys back it has been understandably quiet for a few weeks

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Hahaha i was confused when someone said it wasnt the 5th year.....i remember talking to peter back in 2002 about his plans.
There is one fellow vendor that seems to have a hard time believing he isn't the only one that has been here since about the beginning. If I look around the office I think I can come up with a 2002 SEMA M7 badge if needed LOL

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-02-2007, 09:21 PM
blackie
6th Gear
We did not produce this . It was designed by our CF supplier and they asked us to carry it as a favor to them . I had it on my car for a photo shoot as Rally mentioned . Its not my style but amazingly enough they do sell. To each there own, more or less Nice to see you Jesus guys back it has been understandably quiet for a few weeks

Randy
M7 Tuning
Well, in some photos it looked pretty darn good, so I am not too surprised that it has its fans. Personally, when it did not fit smoothly into the license plate well (and there was nothing to be done to get it to fit flush along the bottom) I was pretty disappointed and just wanted it off and refunded, so I am not shocked that it was not your style, as I see your vehicle as pretty sharp and this piece is simply not up to those sort of standards. Given that there has been a somewhat positive selling response, I guess M7 will stick with selling it, but to me that is a pretty big favor to carry it (I guess that CF must be REALLY hard to get these days) when it is just not up to the standards that M7 has tried to project. To me it brings down the company's reputation, but maybe that is just me.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Well, in some photos it looked pretty darn good, so I am not too surprised that it has its fans. Personally, when it did not fit smoothly into the license plate well (and there was nothing to be done to get it to fit flush along the bottom) I was pretty disappointed and just wanted it off and refunded, so I am not shocked that it was not your style, as I see your vehicle as pretty sharp and this piece is simply not up to those sort of standards. Given that there has been a somewhat positive selling response, I guess M7 will stick with selling it, but to me that is a pretty big favor to carry it (I guess that CF must be REALLY hard to get these days) when it is just not up to the standards that M7 has tried to project. To me it brings down the company's reputation, but maybe that is just me.
I understand your view and agree with you . Let me just say that finding a good CF supplier in this day and age is VERY tough. You would not beleive the stories we have heard from our previous suppliers up to and including " the factory burned down " . We will do whatever we can to make them as happy with us as we are with them.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
blackie
6th Gear
I understand your view and agree with you . Let me just say that finding a good CF supplier in this day and age is VERY tough. You would not beleive the stories we have heard from our previous suppliers up to and including " the factory burned down " . We will do whatever we can to make them as happy with us as we are with them.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Randy:

I've had such stories relayed to me, but not being in the business makes it a bit tough to relate to. I do not doubt what you are saying though about the supply difficulty when it is about all I have heard no matter who it was from in the CF marketplace. However, I am glad we agree though that it is not the best example of a quality M7 product and not something either of us would want on out cars.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Randy:

I've had such stories relayed to me, but not being in the business makes it a bit tough to relate to. I do not doubt what you are saying though about the supply difficulty when it is about all I have heard no matter who it was from in the CF marketplace. However, I am glad we agree though that it is not the best example of a quality M7 product and not something either of us would want on out cars.
I think it must be the fumes LOL . It drives them crazy after awhile. To summerize this one isn't for everyone but those that like it do and those that don't ...

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Heheheh i don't think the fitment is why most people are saying its unattractive.......even if it fit better than any part has ever fit i think many would still call it unattractive

Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 AM
blackie
6th Gear
To summerize this one isn't for everyone but those that like it do and those that don't ...

Randy
M7 Tuning
Fair enough!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Heheheh i don't think the fitment is why most people are saying its unattractive.......even if it fit better than any part has ever fit i think many would still call it unattractive
Well, that could be, but in my case had it fit into the license plate recess neatly I would have kept it. To me, the lack of it fitting flush to the car is what led to it looking bulky and inelegant and also why it did not lead to any additional hp gains!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow I just ran across this thread. How much did this piece of wonderful m7 "bling" cost?

ROFLMAO

Old 10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Zoomer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just seems like a lot of money to spend on such a thing. BUT... to each his/her own..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Wow I just ran across this thread. How much did this piece of wonderful m7 "bling" cost?

ROFLMAO
It was $169, but I returned it, as I was not happy with the fit.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
It was $169, but I returned it, as I was not happy with the fit.
Good idea. My personal opinion is that spending money on function should always go before form (not that this piece qualifies in the form department in my book)....

Hey, but to each his/her own.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:43 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Good idea. My personal opinion is that spending money on function should always go before form (not that this piece qualifies in the form department in my book)....

Hey, but to each his/her own.
How'd your BD turn out Shoe?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
How'd your BD turn out Shoe?

Good Sid, thanks for asking. I'm just painting the ram intakes now - just had to wait for the storm yesterday to pass (and hence was bored out of my mind) but the ducts are zip-tied in place, and I followed the master and bought some 3/16" - 1/4" rivets to hold the front in place.

Will post a new thread as soon as I'm done....Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?