Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
We installed a couple of them at MITM. They are incredibly easy to put on and very attractive on the darker colored cars. One modification i recomend for it is to drill the two lower holes for the licence plate so that you can mount the plate and backer using all 4 screws.
I take it you suggest using all 4 screws for a better, tighter, more secure fit and to reduce vibration? Is there really vibration on the ones you've worked with? GT seems preety unhappy with the one he got for this reason.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Yes I am, but that is all I am going to say about it in order for this thread not to implode. I think it is documented enough, just do a search.

What I am really trying to say is it would be nice that if a vendor to include any issues they are aware of in their product description. I.E. our product X might not fit if you have product Y. Or, product Z might require modification to fit on some cars.

This has been discussed at length to no avail. Most vendors seem to have taken the attitude of collecting the money first and disclosing relevant information later.
Why should the thread implode? I am sure with some time I would find your M7 complaints, but I sure would appreciate a thumbnail sketch to save me the effort.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
GT_GREG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No the parts arent pure carbonfiber as they advertise. Its a layer of carbon sheet over a piece of fibreglass.

The part is being returned to M7 by cooper sport who Ive been ordering parts through. (who are awsome btw.)

The splitter will stay on my car. I can not be bothered to ship it back and wait again.. I dont have that kind of patience.

I have no doubts the air diffuser will be a "semi carbon" as the rest of the parts are..

It saddens me too, because had I known of these problems before hand, i would have ordered that cool lip spoiler that that german company makes instead..

oh well.. least the splitter looks cool from a distance.

GT

Last edited by GT_GREG; 08-14-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: i didnt like how i worded my post. and i didnt spell check.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GT_GREG
No the parts arent pure carbonfiber as they advertise. Its a layer of carbon sheet over a piece of fibreglass. GT

If I am reading you correctly, are you saying this is true of all CF parts you have from M7? Did you have occasion to cut through cross-sections of all of them to prove this is true? If so, is this false advertising or just misleading?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 PM
blackie
6th Gear
We installed a couple of them at MITM. They are incredibly easy to put on and very attractive on the darker colored cars.
Well, we will get to see how it looks on Pepper White, because I decided to order one. I already have a CF hood scoop on my Pepper White and mostly checkered MCSC, so hopefully, this will blend in just fine.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just came across this thread so maybe I can shed some light on some of the issues mentioned .
The CF license plate backer is 100% Cf I believe. I am not sure as this was not an item we had anything to do with in its creation.The supplier came to us and wanted our help in distributing it. This is a situation similar to the DDM CAI which we also market for on behalf of DDM. I had the plate on my car briefly for photos and as I recall it was all CF . There was a change in the mold to make the side panels fit more flush and if anyone has one of the early versions and has a problem with this please get in touch with the office and we will take care of it .
The CF splitter is a layer of CF over a layer of fiberglass to provide extra support while remaining flexible. If it would be just CF it would be too brittle and break easily as the other 100% CF splitters tend to do frequently. I hope this answsers some of your questions . If not feel free to call the office at any time and we will discuss it further .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I do for both reasons. Some cars tend to have more vibrations from the rear plate than others. In my case, I only get rattles when i shut the boot on my car. Others make noise simply from turning the radio up. By drilling the extra holes you are only insuring the reduction of possible ratttles and saving yourself the extra work of removing it again to drill holes in the future should something come up...

We have already talked with Peter from m7 to make the extra holes in the next production run, so this is only a necesary fix for the short run and is not a hard fix to do.
Originally Posted by blackie
I take it you suggest using all 4 screws for a better, tighter, more secure fit and to reduce vibration? Is there really vibration on the ones you've worked with? GT seems preety unhappy with the one he got for this reason.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Judging by the picture and the black stripes, I'd say it would look good.
Well, we will get to see how it looks on Pepper White, because I decided to order one. I already have a CF hood scoop on my Pepper White and mostly checkered MCSC, so hopefully, this will blend in just fine.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I am reading you correctly, are you saying this is true of all CF parts you have from M7? Did you have occasion to cut through cross-sections of all of them to prove this is true? If so, is this false advertising or just misleading?
I don't think it's "false advertising" unless the part is advertised as being 100% carbon fiber when it really isn't.

As for "misleading", that depends wholly on your expectations. I have almost all of the available JCW carbon fiber parts for my car (hood scoop, mirror backs, dash, downtubes, cupholder/shifter trim rings, and rear hatch handle). They're all carbon fiber over ABS plastic, so they're not 100% carbon fiber, but that's what I expected, because I realize that using carbon fiber for those parts is just for cosmetic purposes and not for weight savings. After all, if you add up all of the weights of the factory parts I replaced with CF, they probably don't even add up to 10-15 pounds, so there's not any opportunity for significant weight savings in the first place.

Now with my motorcycle, it's a different story. There are lots of carbon fiber parts available for Ducatis, and they're almost always 100% carbon fiber, so that's what I've come to expect when a vendor offers a "carbon fiber" Ducati part. If I ordered a "carbon fiber" gas tank or "carbon fiber" exhaust pipes for my bike, and they turned out to be CF over steel or CF over aluminum, I'd be pretty upset, because that's not the standard practice for bike parts.

So, for "carbon fiber" bike parts, my expectation is that the part will be solid CF, unless the vendor says otherwise. But with "carbon fiber" car parts, I expect that it will probably be CF over some other material, unless the vendor says otherwise.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 08-14-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:04 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I don't think it's "false advertising" unless the part is advertised as being 100% carbon fiber when it really isn't.

As for "misleading", that depends wholly on your expectations.
Regarding the above, I think Randy gave a good explanation of why the M7 splitter is done as CF over fiberglass.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
I drilled two more lower holes and the sides of the backer still don't fit so good. Its not perfect. But i still like it.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:32 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by cycleguru
I drilled two more lower holes and the sides of the backer still don't fit so good. Its not perfect. But i still like it.
Look in post #31 in this thread. Randy from M7 said to call them if you were having fitment problems, since they've changed the mold since the earlier ones were made.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:03 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Mine is one of the later ones I got it two weeks ago.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
GT_GREG
2nd Gear
i got mine only a few days ago as well so that being the case.. i cant even IMAGINE how the first gen one fit.

and regardless of what the gentleman at M7 said about durability.. it still doesnt say anything on the site about being a MULTI FIBRE piece.

GT

Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
As far as I can tell, it is a carbon only piece.... The weight and thickness to rigidity suggest this.... And for the fitment part, there can always be some amount of deviation in build. Call m7 and get a replacement before you bash them openly.... They are a stand up company and stand behind their products.
Originally Posted by GT_GREG
i got mine only a few days ago as well so that being the case.. i cant even IMAGINE how the first gen one fit.

and regardless of what the gentleman at M7 said about durability.. it still doesnt say anything on the site about being a MULTI FIBRE piece.

GT

Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Mine is one of the later ones I got it two weeks ago.
Well, mine was just ordered yesterday, so I don't know what to expect now when it arrives, probably next week. It would be a drag to get it only have to send it back for these sort of issues. i'd like to hear further comments on this from Randy, as 2 people here are saying they have recent production models and have had fitment problems. I asked Shelly about this staright out and she said there should not be any fitment issues; I hope she is correct.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
GT_GREG
2nd Gear
As far as I can tell, it is a carbon only piece.... The weight and thickness to rigidity suggest this.... And for the fitment part, there can always be some amount of deviation in build. Call m7 and get a replacement before you bash them openly.... They are a stand up company and stand behind their products.
Sorry. One chance only in my book.

part no fit? part go back where it came from. Im not bashing, thats the way it works.. I dont want to "try again"

GT

Old 08-16-2007, 05:25 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Yea , Same with me i would never bash M7. I love their stuff. I'm just gonna deal with how mine fits. I still think its one of my better "BLING" pieces. And thats what i'm all about baby. The "BLING"

Old 08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Yea , Same with me i would never bash M7. I love their stuff. I'm just gonna deal with how mine fits. I still think its one of my better "BLING" pieces. And thats what i'm all about baby. The "BLING"

The "deal with how mine fits" suggests you are not entirely pleased with how it fits or that it does not fit real well. It is not bashing to explain what you mean or how well it actually fits.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
goaljnky
Banned
No, no, no. Anything negative about any vendor, regardless of the source or the underlying truth, is automatically considered bashing. I think it's in the forum rules.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 AM
blackie
6th Gear
No, no, no. Anything negative about any vendor, regardless of the source or the underlying truth, is automatically considered bashing. I think it's in the forum rules.

You get at least one strike, so go for it.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Yes I am, but that is all I am going to say about it in order for this thread not to implode. I think it is documented enough, just do a search.

What I am really trying to say is it would be nice that if a vendor to include any issues they are aware of in their product description. I.E. our product X might not fit if you have product Y. Or, product Z might require modification to fit on some cars.

This has been discussed at length to no avail. Most vendors seem to have taken the attitude of collecting the money first and disclosing relevant information later.
I tried a search here, but maybe my search skills are lacking as this is the thread that keeps coming up. I would have loved to have known what your issues were; that may have saved me the trouble of ordering it. It arrived today and learned first-hand of "the issues". Here is part of what I wrote to Peter and Shelly about my experience with it.

" I understand now what fitment issues some people had with it. Frankly, it is not what I expected and I want to return it for a full refund. Here is a rundown of the problems.

1. I can't use my chrome license plate frame now (which matches one on the front of the vehicle), as the frame is too rigid to apply over the backer; even if I could get it on it will require that I locate a longer set of screws to reach through the chrome frame and into the plate holder.
2. Most importantly, the backer does not fit flush into the boot well; it protrudes on the bottom and appears too large in general.
3. I even tried the suggestion made on NAM of drilling two more holes on the bottom of the backer, so that all 4 plate screws could be used. While this allowed the plate backer to be drawn deeper into the plate well and more flush, the backer still protrudes. It was even pointless to try the double stick tape, as the backer simply will not fit flush to the car. By the way, oddly I lined up the 4 holes on the plate holder with the plate backer's holes (the two original ones on top and the two drilled for the bottom), while it was off the vehicle, but when on the vehicle the plate backer's holes are no longer perfectly in-line with the plate holder; I was still able to insert the 4 plate screws, but this is evidence that when on the vehicle the plate backer does not conform to the boot well.

I wish this had worked, but whatever the variables are that cause this backer not to fit makes it far, far less than I had hoped. I have attached photos to show how the backer is sticking out from the plate well."

Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM
blackie
6th Gear
^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW, Peter and Shelly did repair my scoop problem, free of charge, even though I purchased it second-hand. I really do not expect any problems with a refund on the backer, but I hope they work on addressing the issues with it so it fits the vehicle properly, as IMHO it is too large (at least along the bottom) for the intended purpose and it definitely needs 4 holes and not just the 2.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
So in an attempt to make it work you drilled 2 holes in the product and now want to return it for a full refund. I can understand wanting to make it work and in the current climate on NAM M7 would be remiss if they didn't honor a refund upon reciept of the item. BUT...you drilled holes in it. I realize this should be a simple install but if you have an issue shouldn't you contact the vendor before making irreversable changes to the product.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gnatster
So in an attempt to make it work you drilled 2 holes in the product and now want to return it for a full refund. I can understand wanting to make it work and in the current climate on NAM M7 would be remiss if they didn't honor a refund upon reciept of the item. BUT...you drilled holes in it. I realize this should be a simple install but if you have an issue shouldn't you contact the vendor before making irreversable changes to the product.
Well, on the one hand, it's not a good idea to drill holes in something and then try to return it, but on the other hand, it's not like M7 should be expecting to re-stock and re-sell the part to someone else, so it shouldn't matter one way or the other if it has holes in it. If the part were specifically designed for a coupe, and he put holes in it or cut it up trying to make it fit a convertible, that would be a different story, but once the part gets back to M7, it should probably just be inspected and measured so they can continue to refine their design, and then tossed into the trash.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?