Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gnatster
So in an attempt to make it work you drilled 2 holes in the product and now want to return it for a full refund. I can understand wanting to make it work and in the current climate on NAM M7 would be remiss if they didn't honor a refund upon reciept of the item. BUT...you drilled holes in it. I realize this should be a simple install but if you have an issue shouldn't you contact the vendor before making irreversable changes to the product.
Well, considering more than one person here said it "needs" two lower holes to make it fit properly and one said they knew that the next batch to be made will have 4 holes, it seemed logical and appropriate. Besides, the two lower holes are perfectly aligned and are as symetrical as the two top ones. For someone who wants to use it knowing that it will stick out along the bottom sides, it is actually "improved" over what was sent to me and can absolutely be resold.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cycleguru
I drilled two more lower holes and the sides of the backer still don't fit so good. Its not perfect. But i still like it.
Well, I did the very same with adding two lower holes and arrived at the very same conclusion, except I did not like the way it stuck out along the bottom edge. Shelly told me this is improved over what came before and that this design is supposed to fit this way. So, on the one hand I agree that this item could have a better descripton of these issues on the M7 site, which would probably have helped avoid the situation, as I would not have ordered it. Frankly, I do not understand it, but obviously someone else here is happy with it. BTW, M7 is accepting the item for return, so no matter what else may be said about this item itself, the vendor is doing as I hoped on the return, so that is a positive for them on the matter.

Last edited by blackie; 08-22-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine 3 weeks ago put it on, then I took it off. Just not to my liking IMHO it makes the boot look too busy, so I'll put it on the shelf with all the other parts I've bought & didn't like when I got them... it's only $$$$ live & learn.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, wata chunky looking thing...

Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
I have put one on rear end of my Mini S and like the look very very much.

I am selling my old Mini car S and buying new faster 07S - will M7 make one for the new MiniS yet?

Vonshom.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly

looks like a better fit for something like this

Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
Originally Posted by 03Indigo

looks like a better fit for something like this
I think that not so much so.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yumhaggis
Got mine 3 weeks ago put it on, then I took it off. Just not to my liking IMHO it makes the boot look too busy, so I'll put it on the shelf with all the other parts I've bought & didn't like when I got them... it's only $$$$ live & learn.
Did you consider returning it? I found M7 to be very good about returns; they want your business and i think they figure if something is not to your liking, but know they will take it back, you will at least give them a try on something else they develop in the future. Out of 4 M7 products I have been happy with 3 (and one went back for repairs and came back just fine), so they are ahead of the game, especially if I will be unafraid to keep trying new things from them that catch my eye. As to the license plate backer, I was also pretty disenchanted on a few levels, but mostly that I did not think it fit flush.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Vonshom Hallenbee
I think that not so much so.
Well, it looks good on the Mini in this photo. It also looks like it fits better than mine fit.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
Originally Posted by blackie
Well, it looks good on the Mini in this photo. It also looks like it fits better than mine fit.
Ever since I insert M7 thing in my rear I get many compliments.

It fits very smooth.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
Originally Posted by goaljnky
I am here. And unfortunately so is the CF **** diaper. Vonshom, did yours actually fit? It seems that quiet a few had some fitment issues with this particular offering. Maybe it fits better on Mini's that are not in the North America. Please post pics of your car before you sell it. Are there many other Minis where you live?
The fit is very good when standing 3 or 4 meters from back of rear. Not so good up too close. But I still like it very much.

I live in USA in Poway. My english is not so good. I need to post pictures of my old mini so that I can sell it soon.

I searched the word "****" and I already know diaper. Maybe you are discussion other M7 part?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have seen one, but he also changed out the top lip to CF, looked good .

Old 08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

I just choked my olive pit!...Did just say what I think you said?!!?!?!
I'm not understand first part of your posting - about choking your olive pit.

I am very sorry if my post are confused to you. I like my M7 CF part (the one that goes in rear) is there another M7 part that I am confusion with?

Vonshom.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Vonshom Hallenbee
Banned
Vonshom,

I apologize. I choose my words poorly, but I am researching my next blog entry: Tequila. I am sorry you are selling your Mini. Will you also be standing 3 to 4 meters away from your 2007 R56 in order to make it look good?

I don't think M7 makes CF rear for new Mini S so new mini s will look good much closer.

It is good that I am selling my old mini s - the new mini s is much more nice and very very faster. So do not be sorry for me!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

I just choked my olive pit!...Did just say what I think you said?!!?!?!
Yup! Now you have to consider this was just one long set-up for that one liner!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you just make 3 posts about the same thing

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Did you consider returning it? I found M7 to be very good about returns; they want your business and i think they figure if something is not to your liking, but know they will take it back, you will at least give them a try on something else they develop in the future. Out of 4 M7 products I have been happy with 3 (and one went back for repairs and came back just fine), so they are ahead of the game, especially if I will be unafraid to keep trying new things from them that catch my eye. As to the license plate backer, I was also pretty disenchanted on a few levels, but mostly that I did not think it fit flush.
Blackie, as of right now I am running M7's USS, Front & Rear Bars, OCC, DFIC, AreoGel Pads, Front Spliter, & Peter is a Great guy so returning an item has never been a big deal if it didn't work, but just because I didn't like the look once I got it on the car, that one is on me, besides I'll just put it on the wife's 06 MC. No worries.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Vonshom,
I apologize. I choose my words poorly, but I am researching my next blog entry: Tequila. I am sorry you are selling your Mini. Will you also be standing 3 to 4 meters away from your 2007 R56 in order to make it look good?
gold!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Did you just make 3 posts about the same thing
Maybe yes and maybe no; just a little different spin to each.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
blackie
6th Gear
So what does anyone think of this 5th anniversary M7 Black Chrome strut brace? How does it compare to thir regular strut brace? It costs 75% more for the bling factor alone, I guess. It sure looks nice, but I wonder if it is as or more or less functional.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So what does anyone think of this 5th anniversary M7 Black Chrome strut brace? How does it compare to thir regular strut brace? It costs 75% more for the bling factor alone, I guess. It sure looks nice, but I wonder if it is as or more or less functional.
Unless they did some kind of special structural additions or something (which I'm pretty sure they didnt)......it didn't change functionality one way or another. You're just paying more for a different look. Much like a CF scoop costs more than a fiberglass scoop.....they do the same thing, but you pay more for the "coolness" of the CF.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Unless they did some kind of special structural additions or something (which I'm pretty sure they didnt)......it didn't change functionality one way or another. You're just paying more for a different look. Much like a CF scoop costs more than a fiberglass scoop.....they do the same thing, but you pay more for the "coolness" of the CF.
Isn't the idea that CF is stronger and lighter than fiberglass? At least when it is a true CF. Otherwise you are right of course. You are just spending money on bling.

As far as the STB...it's not really their 5th year anniversary. Just another way to make a little extra scratch...

Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't the idea that CF is stronger and lighter than fiberglass? At least when it is a true CF. Otherwise you are right of course. You are just spending money on bling.

As far as the STB...it's not really their 5th year anniversary. Just another way to make a little extra scratch...
For a non-structural part like a hood scoop, the extra strength of CF isn't a factor, and the weight savings are laughable on a 2700-pound car. That didn't keep me from installing almost every single JCW CF part available for my car though, but I'm not kidding myself - they're just bling.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
For a non-structural part like a hood scoop, the extra strength of CF isn't a factor, and the weight savings are laughable on a 2700-pound car. That didn't keep me from installing almost every single JCW CF part available for my car though, but I'm not kidding myself - they're just bling.
Can't argue with that. I am guilty of some of the same myself.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't argue with that. I am guilty of some of the same myself.
Yep - it's really hard to convince yourself that there are any performance benefits to the JCW pieces when you realize that they're all CF *over* ABS plastic. So if anything, they might actually weigh *more* than the stock pieces. They did a beautiful job on the clearcoat, though - much better than any of my CF Ducati parts. (Although to be fair, many of the CF bike parts really *are* about saving weight - some of them aren't even clearcoated at all.)

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Anyone try the M7 CF license plate backer yet?