Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Mudflap Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mudflap Problems?

When I was placing the order for my car and my MA saw that I wanted the mud flaps, he gave the impression that the service department has been seeing a lot of them falling off or coming loose.

I searched NAM a bit and didn't seem to find any threads where folks are having trouble with the mudflaps.

Anyone have any problems with theirs?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't talk about your '07, but I had one side on my '03 MC replaced because some idiot hit it and popped it loose. Other than that, I've had no probs and they have been on the MC since '04.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
The flaps are easy enough to install and are affixed quite well. There are screws, clips, and tape. There are a couple of threads on this. One has instructions by AdamsAltaMini, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=103860. Another person posted the official MINI doc in PDF format, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=106832. I read Adam's, but followed the MINI instructions.

I tried to order the flaps installed on my car. The excuse I received was that they clips were broken. There is no way the metal clilps would be damaged in transit. The dealers just don't want to bother.

My installation was very slow since I took off all the wheels, washed them, then added wheel wax. Now that I have done my car I would be much quicker, but figure 30-60 mins per wheel if you want to work slow. In reality it probably should only take an hour, but I spent about 3 total when the wheel cleaning.

Last edited by gregdconsulting; 08-06-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added AdamsAltaMini thread link, added MINI PDF thread link
Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Yeah, this comes down to lazy installers not a problem with the part. They don't get paid enough to do them properly, so they don't sell them. Budget 20 minutes on each for a proper installation. My instructions are pretty detailed and should contain the info you need. However, if you need ANY information PLEASE let me know!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
I saw the threads with the instructions. They looked like they have good hardware and would mount up fine. If the dealer is still giving me the same impression when my car comes in, I'll install them myself.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 AM
PaulCIssa
4th Gear
I've done m/flaps on dozens of vehicles and I think Mini did a great job of designing a secure system of attachments and it actually looks good when you're finished.

I did mine in an afternoon, much for the same reasons as others: pulled and cleaned the wheels, took my time and made sure all was perfect. They've been in place for about 3K and show no sign of coming loose.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bottom line is, the dealer doesn't get enough money to bother with the install. After my dealer quote $62 for the install, they dried to change it to $400! claiming they needed to remove the rear bumper. They relented, though, when I mentioned "contract." I can see no reason the flaps would be prone to coming loose. Mine haven't.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I installed mine in a couple of hours, removing only the rear wheels. I'm not the most blessed tool guy but these were an easy modification. I can envision how the clips that hold the flap to the wheel well may come off if not secured or "pushed in" the full amount, but the screws should prevent them from falling off entirely.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
When I was placing the order for my car and my MA saw that I wanted the mud flaps, he gave the impression that the service department has been seeing a lot of them falling off or coming loose.
Perhaps his dealership doesn't put them on well.

I ordered them with my MCS, but didn't have the dealer install them. They also wanted too much $$.

I've mounted the front flaps and they seem secure. I did the proper cleaning before installation.

I haven't done the rear yet because a parking lot encounter has required the rear bumper be replaced. It is in the shop now. I'll install the rear flaps when I get it back.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
JCWCOMP62
1st Gear
Anyone have the BMW/Mini part #'s for the front and rear mudflaps/install kit? What should I be expecting approx to pay for a set of each?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
The instruction PDF referenced in the linked thread above has the part numbers:

82 16 0 415 114 Front mud flaps for all vehicles
82 16 0 415 115 Rear mud flaps for MINI One and MINI Cooper
82 16 0 415 116 Rear mud flaps for MINI Cooper S

I ordered from Classic MINI through NAM for the discount.
MossMINI has the fronts for $25/pr and rear for $35/pr. I think Classic was less. If you call Classic and tell them the item you want they will ask if it is a Cooper or Cooper S, what year, and then send you the right parts.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Perhaps his dealership doesn't put them on well.
That was my first thought when he mentioned they were having trouble with them. They weren't going to charge me for the flaps or the install but if he keeps mentioning this I'll install them myself.

From the instructions they appear to be mounted pretty well. I don't see where they could come off if they are installed properly.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 08-11-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the dealer install after 6,000 miles, but only on the front, as I was told they are not made (or cannot be done on) a MCSC rear. The install of the fornts probably took 30-40 minutes and I was charged the normal labor rate. They now have probably 1,000 miles on them and I have seen no issue with them being loose in any way. They do seem well-designed for the long-term.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by JCWCOMP62
Anyone have the BMW/Mini part #'s for the front and rear mudflaps/install kit? What should I be expecting approx to pay for a set of each?
I've ordered the OEM flaps from Out Motoring... should come this week and I'll install them over the weekend

Front
$13.95

Rear
$36.95

Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Just to let you know, the mud flaps do work. I went through some mud on Friday and the mud flaps got mud on them.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Just to let you know, the mud flaps do work. I went through some mud on Friday and the mud flaps got mud on them.
Hey Lynn, how about the side of your car? Keep most of the mud off?

I want them for gravel more than mud. My baby already got a small nick from a kicked up piece of gravel (happened on the day I got him ).

Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I don't know if it kept most off, but it did keep it from accumulating along the bottom edge of the door.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
Hey Lynn, how about the side of your car? Keep most of the mud off?

I want them for gravel more than mud. My baby already got a small nick from a kicked up piece of gravel (happened on the day I got him ).
Same here. I want them for gravel. They like to 'chip-seal' roads in Califronia. They basically spray an oil on the road surface which softens the surface. Then they drop gravel over it (pea-sized). Then they put up signs saying to drive below 25 mph and that's it. No sweeping or compacting. They let the cars weight press the gravel down into the road surface. Unfortunately a lot of the gravel gets flipped up and sticks to the car (since part of each piece of gravel has oily tar on it). Highways aren't usually resurfaced like this, but the twisty backroads are almost always paved this way. It ruined the fairings on my motorcycle, not to mention the chassis took a lot of stains and chips from it. It really is bad. I usually turn around when I come across this stuff that isn't 4 or 5 months old.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Same here. I want them for gravel. They like to 'chip-seal' roads in Califronia. They basically spray an oil on the road surface which softens the surface. Then they drop gravel over it (pea-sized). Then they put up signs saying to drive below 25 mph and that's it. No sweeping or compacting. They let the cars weight press the gravel down into the road surface. Unfortunately a lot of the gravel gets flipped up and sticks to the car (since part of each piece of gravel has oily tar on it). Highways aren't usually resurfaced like this, but the twisty backroads are almost always paved this way. It ruined the fairings on my motorcycle, not to mention the chassis took a lot of stains and chips from it. It really is bad. I usually turn around when I come across this stuff that isn't 4 or 5 months old.
Tell me about it. Don't know where in Cali you are, but here in the Bay Area some great roads have the chip-seal cr@p on it. Nothing like taking a turn on a motorcycle and running into chip-seal. Of course now that I have the MINI too, the concern is shifted more towards protecting my "baby's" body instead of my own.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
Tell me about it. Don't know where in Cali you are, but here in the Bay Area some great roads have the chip-seal cr@p on it. Nothing like taking a turn on a motorcycle and running into chip-seal. Of course now that I have the MINI too, the concern is shifted more towards protecting my "baby's" body instead of my own.
I'm down in Monterey. It always takes 3 or 4 months for most of our backroads to loose enough chip seal to ride a motorcycle again on them. No fun indeed!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Jen
6th Gear
We installed them two years ago on my 03 MC. No problems. Easy enough installation.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yeah. I got mud on them.