How To Valve Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Just an update. We just got them again back in stock. Free shipping.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R55_R59_N14_Valve_Cover_Kits_21869/

Metal Version N14 Valve Covers

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11127646555/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-29-2024 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 AM
mikisaab
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine Megaplast (not sure if it is the same brand that you are selling for 185$ on ebay with free shipping) ,, this was for the 2007 R56 S .

Last edited by mikisaab; 12-23-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We carry a 2 year warranty on ours and its Genuine MINI, yes megaplast is the OE manufacturer (no one can buy directly from them as they have a contract with MINI/BMW group) but they make ones for PSA, and others for that valve cover. You have to make sure its the latest revision from MINI for MINI ( check our oem part) and it has the little red pull tab on the back. Otherwise, you dont have the updated PCV set up. Also, watch because some of those on ebay look new but are used. They get a new one from US or whomever and then take there's off and reuse the box. I bet some shady used car dealers might do that. Some are also Chinese copies which have the megaplast and MINI logo not removed as the copy the casting.

Just something to check out, I know ebay has problems with knock off items(think purses). Better to make sure they are legit.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
cudamank (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 12:48 PM
cudamank
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We carry a 2 year warranty on ours and its Genuine MINI, yes megaplast is the OE manufacturer (no one can buy directly from them as they have a contract with MINI/BMW group) but they make ones for PSA, and others for that valve cover.

Just something to check out, I know ebay has problems with knock off items(think purses). Better to make sure they are legit.

Do you carry the one for R60 non turbo as well?

Old 12-26-2017, 01:46 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Right here: : 11127646554

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Mini_...547_R55R61N16/

Metal Version

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11127646554/

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-29-2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:18 PM
mikisaab
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi , yea I got the red bracket that looks like a miniature tow hook ,, and there was another piece that is black with a green oring on it I beleive its a cover for the pressure releive valve in the back ,, i didnt install either one .. I am in acountry that doesnt have the sub zero temperatures of Canada,, I also had to replace my pcv hose which I did and now the engine runs nice ,, I still want to replace the break pump as I see some oil stains on it and I heard it damages the engine when it ceases ,, replacing it just to be safe,, lastly I want to add the oil catch can ,, just not sure yet which one to get for that ,,

Old 01-03-2018, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We have that pump here: 11667556919

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-location.html

For catch cans people have done this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-delete-3.html

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-29-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 AM
EvilKoala
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can I repair instead of replace?

I had oil leaking from the front-left corner and my local mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket ($150). A few months later, it's leaking from the same corner and he tells me I need to probably bring it back so he can replace the whole valve cover. Is it possible to add the sealant mentioned above in the corners, or at that point I should just replace the whole gasket, and/or valve cover? I'm definitely looking to do this myself this time.

Is it possible to see leakage if too much oil was put in for my oil change? The reading on my stick is little above the full mark, but might be unrelated...

Thanks for any advice, you guys are great

Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilKoala
I had oil leaking from the front-left corner and my local mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket ($150). A few months later, it's leaking from the same corner and he tells me I need to probably bring it back so he can replace the whole valve cover. Is it possible to add the sealant mentioned above in the corners, or at that point I should just replace the whole gasket, and/or valve cover? I'm definitely looking to do this myself this time.

Is it possible to see leakage if too much oil was put in for my oil change? The reading on my stick is little above the full mark, but might be unrelated...

Hey friend,

First, how many miles on your car, is this the first valve cover? Is it a R56 cooper? Are you burning oil?

Definitely don't get a new valve cover yet. The driver's side front and rear corners need liquid gasket in addition to the rubber gasket. The mechanic might have skipped that step.

Go to rockauto and get a new rubber gasket and some liquid gasket. When you put it all back together, torque the cover as per the Bentley manual instructions.

It's a really easy and fun job. Get a 1/4 or 3/8 inch (capable of achieving the required low torque spec) quality torque wrench for this job.

Assuming you're reading the crappy mini dipstick correctly and the car is on a level surface, too much oil isn't going to cause this leak but too much oil isn't healthy long-term. Can you drain a little or suction a little boy the dipstick?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear

Hey friend,

First, how many miles on your car, is this the first valve cover? Is it a R56 cooper? Are you burning oil?

Definitely don't get a new valve cover yet. The driver's side front and rear corners need liquid gasket in addition to the rubber gasket. The mechanic might have skipped that step.

Go to rockauto and get a new rubber gasket and some liquid gasket. When you put it all back together, torque the cover as per the Bentley manual instructions.

It's a really easy and fun job. Get a 1/4 or 3/8 inch (capable of achieving the required low torque spec) quality torque wrench for this job.

Assuming you're reading the crappy mini dipstick correctly and the car is on a level surface, too much oil isn't going to cause this leak but too much oil isn't healthy long-term. Can you drain a little or suction a little via the dipstick?

Last edited by Lex2008; 06-16-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:39 PM
EvilKoala
1st Gear
Reply...

I have a 2010 R55 "Justa" Clubman , almost 48k. I bought it a year ago, with low mileage and I've been slowly fixing some things. I'm not sure if it's burning oil, about every 3-5k I have to add a quart, maybe 1.5 qt. I've been trying to keep a diary. I replaced my plugs and coils a few weeks ago (after the valve cover gasket from the local mechanic) and j was the first plug had a small pool of oil in there. I'm not sure what that means, I assumed it had the do with the seal leaking?

At first the gasket seal job looked complicated, but once I saw how easy the plugs were to do I'm up for tackling it. I was thinking maybe he skipped that step too, but I can't ask him lol.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
I have a 2010 R55 "Justa" Clubman , almost 48k. I bought it a year ago, with low mileage and I've been slowly fixing some things. I'm not sure if it's burning oil, about every 3-5k I have to add a quart, maybe 1.5 qt. I've been trying to keep a diary. I replaced my plugs and coils a few weeks ago (after the valve cover gasket from the local mechanic) and j was the first plug had a small pool of oil in there. I'm not sure what that means, I assumed it had the do with the seal leaking?

At first the gasket seal job looked complicated, but once I saw how easy the plugs were to do I'm up for tackling it. I was thinking maybe he skipped that step too, but I can't ask him lol.
​​​​​​I'm not sure if the Clubman has the same POS French motor as my car. Anyway, the same advice stands. The same failing gasket would cause oil to sleep into the spark plugs tubes. Yes.

You're gonna need a new valve cover eventually, especially if the oil loss continues despite no visible leaks, as the cover has the pcv system integrated and it may be failing.

​​​ Hae you looked for other leaks under the car?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
EvilKoala
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lex2008
​​​​​​I'm not sure if the Clubman has the same POS French motor as my car. Anyway, the same advice stands. The same failing gasket would cause oil to sleep into the spark plugs tubes. Yes.

You're gonna need a new valve cover eventually, especially if the oil loss continues despite no visible leaks, as the cover has the pcv system integrated and it may be failing.

​​​ Hae you looked for other leaks under the car?
Yes, the R55 has the same engine as the R56, I can't complain about the French engine yet, I kinda like the multinationalism under the hood. This car clearly costs a lot more for things that shouldn't need replacing. I wonder if the BMW engines of the newer models are more reliable or just more expensive to fix. Maybe the answer is yes and yes?

I don't have any leaking under the car. I saw one of the original posts in this thread mention something else to seal or keep the oil out of the first plug well? Or is it just the valve cover gasket and the recommended sealant on the corners?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Yes, the R55 has the same engine as the R56, I can't complain about the French engine yet, I kinda like the multinationalism under the hood. This car clearly costs a lot more for things that shouldn't need replacing. I wonder if the BMW engines of the newer models are more reliable or just more expensive to fix. Maybe the answer is yes and yes?

I don't have any leaking under the car. I saw one of the original posts in this thread mention something else to seal or keep the oil out of the first plug well? Or is it just the valve cover gasket and the recommended sealant on the corners?
Compared to any Japanese car of the last 50 years, these engines are crap. My engine ate its valves at 153000 miles and had every oil and coolant leak it could along the way. But I digress...

​​​​​Just look at the gasket and you'll see why this will address the spark plug tubes. You'mechanic may not have followed the correct torquing sequence.

Use a fel-pro brand gasket. Inspect the underside of the valve cover to make sure it's clean, and in good shape.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:29 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Love the old school racer white cam cover. If you leak it will show. Nicejob.
ISAMIN