How To Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Mondo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb

This is probably not necessary but it's always nice to see what you can expect. This is my daughter's 2005 Coop but I imagine it's similar on all 1st Gens at least. It Shouldn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes to do.

This is the bulb the car takes... I bought the lube but it's not necessary (should prevent the bulb from rusting to the housing).

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb-mini-brake-light-bulb-change-004.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Mondo
2nd Gear
Girl's Guide to changing brake light bulb 2

Sorry Moderator.

I didn't know how to do this so I was going to reply with each step.

Here's the narative and you can put it to pics... if you think this is even worthwhile.

Open hatch for right or left taillight

Remove silver nut

On outside of light there are two clips that need to be pushed towards the center of car... you can kind of do one at a time as you push the light out from the inside.

Remove the bulb bracket from the light housing by squeezing these to tabs together.

The brakelight bulb is missing from the center of this bracket... push in/counterclockwise to remove & opposite to put in. If you have difficulty putting back in, twist the bulb 180 degrees so the tabs on the light bulb are opposite before trying again (dumb but I had to think twice why it wasn't going back in). This will be on next thread as I can only load 3 pics

Putting everything back is literally a snap (and screwing the nut back on)

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb-mini-brake-light-bulb-change-009.jpg   Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb-mini-brake-light-bulb-change-006a.jpg   Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb-mini-brake-light-bulb-change-007a.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Mondo
2nd Gear
Girls's Guide to bulb change 3

Moderator,

Just attaching the picture of where the bulb goes for the narative in previous thread.

Again, hopefully you can put it together all in one thread.

Thanks,

Mondo

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance :: Girl's Guide to changing tail/brake light bulb-mini-brake-light-bulb-change-005a.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That should do

Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Mini sure did make changing a light bulb a lot of work. You'd think the first step would be: "change bulb". Step two: "... are you still reading this?"

Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
To change light bulbs, it isn't necessary to remove the taillight (or even the nut). You can remove the bulb holder panel without tools, just reaching in through the access opening. First disconnect the wiring harness. Press the locking tab on the connector to release it, and disconnect the plug. Then simply squeeze together the vertical tabs, and the bulb holder panel will release from the taillight (for an '04 or earlier, there is a horizontal tab instead of two vertical tabs).

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Mondo
2nd Gear
Yes, you can do that after you figure out how it's all put together (just pinching/pulling out that center bulbs housing)... and have small hands .

For us larger guys, this way is not that much more time and your not hunched in the rear part of the car trying to do everything in that tiny compartment.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Bulb grease? Hmmm, that's something I never heard of. Ok, back under my rock I go

Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 PM
beans123
Neutral
Thanks for putting this DIY together. I'm helping a friend change the bulb in his mini and couldn't quite figure it out. He has a '06 convertible so the access panel is quite different (really small) compared to the OP's car. I was able to feel around and figure out how to remove both the connector and bulb holder panel but the opening is so small I can't get the panel out to access the bulbs. I think the only way to access it is to remove the tail light assembly as you have done. Even the access to the nut is super tight. This is way more effort than it should be to replace a bulb but I guess space is a premium in a mini convertible.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
franklinminty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by beans123
Thanks for putting this DIY together. I'm helping a friend change the bulb in his mini and couldn't quite figure it out. He has a '06 convertible so the access panel is quite different (really small) compared to the OP's car. I was able to feel around and figure out how to remove both the connector and bulb holder panel but the opening is so small I can't get the panel out to access the bulbs. I think the only way to access it is to remove the tail light assembly as you have done. Even the access to the nut is super tight. This is way more effort than it should be to replace a bulb but I guess space is a premium in a mini convertible.

Hear Hear! I just changed out the reversing lamps in my '10 convertible and I have tiny hands, and it was almost impossible. A real PITA!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
ARTnut
Neutral
Thumbs up Alternate lamp/bulb

Having wrestled the tail light assembly out of the back quarter panel and banging my knuckles - ouch - a few hundred times, I learned that the Sylvania 7528 bulb (25w) from Kragen, which lists it as OE, is not the correct lamp for my '03 Cooper. The original MINI lamp (21w) has nodes on either side of the lamp base and they are even on the height of the base. On the Sylvania the nodes are offset (one is higher on the base than the other) and will not engage the lamp securely to the holder. Different kind of bayonet mount apparently. Just a word to those following with older MINIs. And since I have, now, to do this all over again, I will release the horizontal flange/clip at the center of the light bracket and slip it out through the access in the boot panel - skipping the knuckle-busting, arm-wrenching (and did I mention lefthanded) manuevering needed to remove the entire tail light assembly. Hope this adds to the knowledge base and thanks for the Girl's Guides!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
We have an 03 R53 and for some reason, I was thinking it was an 1156 bulb....

Any input on this?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Weedahoe
1st Gear
THX for the pics. They helped me a lot

Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ARTnut
... , I learned that the Sylvania 7528 bulb (25w) from Kragen, which lists it as OE, is not the correct lamp for my '03 Cooper. The original MINI lamp (21w) has nodes on either side of the lamp base and they are even on the height of the base. On the Sylvania the nodes are offset (one is higher on the base than the other) and will not engage the lamp securely to the holder. Different kind of bayonet mount apparently.
So, what is the correct bulb type number?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM
muddflapp
1st Gear
Found this old thread via google.

2003 Mini Cooper S - Left Rear tailight bulb numbers:
top 2 single filament bulbs have 2 even bayonettes.
bottom dual filament bulb has 2 uneven bayonettes.

Top: P21W 12498 PHILIPS 12V21W (E1) 2CH FRANCE G24
Middle: P21W 12498 PHILIPS 12V21W (E1) 2CH FRANCE G24
Bottom: P21/5W 12499/LL PHILIPS 12V21/5W (E1) 2CR FRANCE G23

Unplug the connector from the triple bulb holder.
Very low force is needed to squeeze the tab up on the bottom side of the connector. It can bottom out against the connector without breaking the tab or the connector.
Wiggle the connector free while squeezing the tab.
The connector connects 5 lugs to 5 spades. Position 6 in the connector is not used.

After the electrical connection is unplugged, just about 1/2" below the connector, push the plastic tab down 1/8" and slide the 2x8" triple bulb holder up 1/16". It pops right off.

The bottom bulb is tail/brake lights.
The middle bulb is the blinker.
What is the top bulb?

The online Manual (01 41 0 157 644) says (P53 & p109) "Not Active"

P49 of the 2003 printed Manual (01 41 0 156 890) says:
Fog Lamps*
Fog lamps switched on:
Green light-emitting diode in the switch lights up.
Rear Fog Lamp*
Rear fog lamp switched on:
Yellow light-emitting diode in the switch lights up.
Observe all legal regulations concerning the use of fog lamps
P113 of the printed Manual says:
Rear fog lamp* Red

How do I get a Yellow light-emitting diode toggle switch?

My tail lights have 3 bulbs, no chrome bezel (I assume the bezel is 2007+)
The lens is smoked white color not smoked black nor non-smoked.
The reverse light is in the center above the dual exhaust tips.
BTW, the outer tabs to remove the housing from the vehicle are spring metal tabs.

Last edited by muddflapp; 05-12-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
justlikeom
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mondo
Sorry Moderator.

I didn't know how to do this so I was going to reply with each step.

Here's the narative and you can put it to pics... if you think this is even worthwhile.

Open hatch for right or left taillight

Remove silver nut

On outside of light there are two clips that need to be pushed towards the center of car... you can kind of do one at a time as you push the light out from the inside.

Remove the bulb bracket from the light housing by squeezing these to tabs together.

The brakelight bulb is missing from the center of this bracket... push in/counterclockwise to remove & opposite to put in. If you have difficulty putting back in, twist the bulb 180 degrees so the tabs on the light bulb are opposite before trying again (dumb but I had to think twice why it wasn't going back in). This will be on next thread as I can only load 3 pics

Putting everything back is literally a snap (and screwing the nut back on)
I thank you for the info and the pictures. I got the courage to give it a try, I did it in the parking lot of Auto-zone just in case I couldn't manage. I got it out through the hole without removing the entire tail light... what a bear! Took me about 30 min to get it back in. I couldn't have done it without your post!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM
tailspin2
Neutral
Thank you all for your help. This was not an easy bulb to change!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Regarding ArtNut's post above, I suspect he was trying to replace a single-filament bulb with a dual-filament bulb, which does have an asymetrical base so that it will only fit in one way.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Oly
2nd Gear
So WHAT BULB ???

Originally Posted by muddflapp
Found this old thread via google.

2003 Mini Cooper S - Left Rear tailight bulb numbers:
top 2 single filament bulbs have 2 even bayonettes.
bottom dual filament bulb has 2 uneven bayonettes.

Top: P21W 12498 PHILIPS 12V21W (E1) 2CH FRANCE G24
Middle: P21W 12498 PHILIPS 12V21W (E1) 2CH FRANCE G24
Bottom: P21/5W 12499/LL PHILIPS 12V21/5W (E1) 2CR FRANCE G23

Unplug the connector from the triple bulb holder.
Very low force is needed to squeeze the tab up on the bottom side of the connector. It can bottom out against the connector without breaking the tab or the connector.
Wiggle the connector free while squeezing the tab.
The connector connects 5 lugs to 5 spades. Position 6 in the connector is not used.

After the electrical connection is unplugged, just about 1/2" below the connector, push the plastic tab down 1/8" and slide the 2x8" triple bulb holder up 1/16". It pops right off.

The bottom bulb is tail/brake lights.
The middle bulb is the blinker.
What is the top bulb?

The online Manual (01 41 0 157 644) says (P53 & p109) "Not Active"

P49 of the 2003 printed Manual (01 41 0 156 890) says:
Fog Lamps*
Fog lamps switched on:
Green light-emitting diode in the switch lights up.
Rear Fog Lamp*
Rear fog lamp switched on:
Yellow light-emitting diode in the switch lights up.
Observe all legal regulations concerning the use of fog lamps
P113 of the printed Manual says:
Rear fog lamp* Red

How do I get a Yellow light-emitting diode toggle switch?

My tail lights have 3 bulbs, no chrome bezel (I assume the bezel is 2007+)
The lens is smoked white color not smoked black nor non-smoked.
The reverse light is in the center above the dual exhaust tips.
BTW, the outer tabs to remove the housing from the vehicle are spring metal tabs.
I just found this on google. I can't get my hands in there even enough to find whatever "Tabs" are being discussed & I want to get the bulbs (Brakelight) before getting in there in my 2004 base Mini.

Near as I can figure, the brakelights are at the top (?) since the other bulbs light.

One DOES wonder why Mini had to make this such a problem.

Any help?

Thanks, -Oly

Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
muddflapp
1st Gear
Remove the housing or remove the bulb pack

I just repeated this removal after getting an email from NAM about updates to this post.

To remove the tail light housing there is a 10mm nut and two spring tabs.
Remove like Mondo said.

To remove the 3 bulb pack, (on my '03 MCS) gently pull the rectangular bulb pack. The bulb pack is seated onto several plastic standouts. It's released by a single tab near the center bulb.

It's really easy the second time around.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Oly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by muddflapp
I just repeated this removal after getting an email from NAM about updates to this post.

To remove the tail light housing there is a 10mm nut and two spring tabs.
Remove like Mondo said.

To remove the 3 bulb pack, (on my '03 MCS) gently pull the rectangular bulb pack. The bulb pack is seated onto several plastic standouts. It's released by a single tab near the center bulb.

It's really easy the second time around.
Thanks!

I just - finally - suceeded in getting those bulbs replaced.

I REALLY did not want to remove the housings - just worrying that they would then leak.

The book & some online things talk about that release tab but I couldn't get it to release. I'm right-handed so I was trying on the left rear so I could get my right hand somewhat into that tiny space.

Finally I decided to try the right side - with my left hand and I was able to pop the lamp holder out pretty easily, grasping it's edges with thumb & fingers and pressing the tab down with the fore-finger.

The brake light turns out to be the BOTTOM lamp - it has TWO filaments, a big one (brake) and another small one.

Having now one of the lampholders out I could at least see what the shape was.

Still couldn't get the left one out - there just seems to be less room, maybe because there is more wiring on that side.

Finally got all 4 fingers dug under the outside edge of the unit & pressed the tab HARD with my thumb, and got it loose - then fiddled it past all the wires and that annoying huge bolt that holds the assembly in place.

Replaced the bulbs (no bulbs with the numbers on the original in store, but they had a chart) and took about 1/2 hour to fiddle the things back int place - it's a pure guessing game, finally you find the right combination by pure luck.

I kinda' doubt it will be any easier the second time around since hopefully these new bulbs will also last over 100K Miles

I'll bet that if there wasn't that giant bolt holding the housing in place, but instead a simple screw from the outside, this job would be easy.

I love my Mini - even loved my "Classic" mini in the 60's, but this was a real - and unecessary - hassle.

-Oly

Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Don1
Neutral
Just spent hours changing the rhs brake light bulb on my '05 Mini Cooper using the inside hatch "remove the bulb holder and wiggle it around to get it back in" approach described in the manual; I just couldn't get it back in without the bottom Reversing Light bulb falling out- after 3 attempts I ran out of bulbs and gave up, so I am pleased to see this method to remove the whole housing and work from the outside. Will give it a go next weekend....