How To Interior/Exterior :: V1 Remote Display Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: V1 Remote Display Mount

Not much use in a bunch of text here, I put it in the attached document. Basically, a couple of "spare" parts from Craven Speed's Flex Pod lineup and I've got a nice, sturdy and very clean mount for my V1 Remote Display.

Total time for fabrication/install - about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Attached Files
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
It was pointed out by Craven Speed that you can do this without having to buy the "W" bracket that I used. You can use the "R" Bracket as well. I helped a friend install at Tom Tom mount with an "R" Bracket yesterday and it's a very cool piece of work. We ended up mounting it backwards (on the left side of the tach with the mounting hole on the right) to keep his wide display Tom Tom farther to the left (to clear the AC vent and speedometer). He's going to mount his V1 RD as I did.

Enjoy!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Inspired by your thread I made my own mount to add to the "W" bracket that is holding my Garmin Nuvi. About 5 bucks worth of parts from Home Depot and 20 minutes of time and it works great. I will try to post some pics in the next few days.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear

I wonder if there's enough room behind the panel to install the V1 remote display right next to the volume control on the center console #5...

The part itself is only US$49.63. Shouldn't be any trick to buy an extra one, cut the hole and install the V1 remote, then just replace it, keeping the old center console so you can put it back to stock if you ever decide to trade or sell your Mini.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
That's a great idea too! I have come to like having the display where it is, it's really easy to reach through the spokes of the steering wheel to mute it. Once I move away from here, I'll put it somewhere that I can reach with my hands on the wheel!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay
Once I move away from here, I'll put it somewhere that I can reach with my hands on the wheel!
Ultimately, that's what I want. I'd love for it to sit atop the the steering column, but sadly, in that position, it obscures my info display.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Mystic330
1st Gear
cmcveay - How do you go about tapping into the Stealth circuit on the DSC controls? I need a quick turn-off circuit as well.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Mystic330
1st Gear
ok...ok... I got it... It's a 3rd party product called Auto Sport +

http://www.fes-auto.com/products_det...p?productid=24

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's also this option if you've got a place for a gauge pod.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-display.html

Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Gillham
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to bump such an old thread. But I'm looking at different mounting solutions for my remote display and I'm really liking this setup. One thing I noticed that isn't covered is how you routed the cabling to your remote display. Do you just have it tucked under the steering column? Is there a way to fish it through the dash and up the A-Pillar?

Thanks!
-Nick

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillham
I hate to bump such an old thread. But I'm looking at different mounting solutions for my remote display and I'm really liking this setup. One thing I noticed that isn't covered is how you routed the cabling to your remote display. Do you just have it tucked under the steering column? Is there a way to fish it through the dash and up the A-Pillar?

Thanks!
-Nick
I actually drilled a hole in the lower part of the plastic piece on the back of tach (close to the 2 mounting screws that hold it to the steering column). I used a rubber grommet to protect the wiring. This left no visible wiring around the sides of the steering column. But there's no going back as the piece I drilled is part of the tach housing and not available separately without replacing the entire tach. You can still see the wiring behind the tach if you look down through the windshield. I covered the wiring in black shrink tubing along with the wiring to my other gauge.

There is room to fish wiring up from under the dash, through the A pillar cover and across the top of the windshield. I used a long "zip tie" to help with fishing the wire. The flat ribbon phone cable slides easily behind the A pillar cover so no need to remove it.