How To Maintenance :: How-To do Seafoam Treatment R55/R56

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure is,the only difference between the two is if you order the RR can you'll never get it.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by L8Apex
Yes, if you put SeaFoam into the crankcase then it's a good idea to change the oil shortly after. If you just put it through the PCV hose, then it's not the oil.
No, none added in the crankcase

Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
L8Apex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
No, none added in the crankcase
Then what's the noise you hear? If it's just running louder everything is fine. I know my exhaust note got a bit louder; that's just due to less carbon in the system.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
I'm taking it to the dealership next week for them to do the chain tensioner fix. I mentioned it to them before when the car was under warranty. SA said, yea we will fix it but when the head mechanic dude that looks over the car before they go back said, no that's how its supposed to sound. Anyway, called him the other day and said that was ridiculous and that they should have fixed it back then. Anyway, they are going to do it this time, no charge even though I'm over the warranty period. I'm thinking this is the problem.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
so yeah i decided to seafoam my car today and decided not to use tubbing and just pour it in slowly with a steady hand and sure enough it didn't stall....now waiting till i can restart the car....so for the people who don't have a small hose around or don't want to go out and buy one cauz you're cheap like me haha just pour it in nice and easy little by little and it won't stall on you.....will let you guys no of the results in half an hour

Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
ok so yeah had about 30 seconds of a cloud of smoke.....haha guess i'm pretty much carbon free...even with driving it hard for 10 minutes still no smoke....ummm didn't really notice much of a difference since i'm guessing my car is pretty much carbon free...going to do another try 2morrow....

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
raindizzle, how many miles and what year is your MCS?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
raindizzle, how many miles and what year is your MCS?
i have about 32,xxx+ miles on it...and its an 07 mini cooper s...the wierd thing is before i did the seafoam my MA said i had major carbon build up and was gonna charge me about 500+ to do the carbon flush...but then again he wouldn't show me proof at all that i did have it...so when i seafoamed my car and saw that i only had about 30 secs. of smoke then what the can said i would have i was pretty certain that i was carbon free...but i will do another round tomorrow morning so i'll keep you posted

Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Did the treatment three times on mine. Each time smoked worse than the time before.

Originally Posted by raindizzle
i have about 32,xxx+ miles on it...and its an 07 mini cooper s...the wierd thing is before i did the seafoam my MA said i had major carbon build up and was gonna charge me about 500+ to do the carbon flush...but then again he wouldn't show me proof at all that i did have it...so when i seafoamed my car and saw that i only had about 30 secs. of smoke then what the can said i would have i was pretty certain that i was carbon free...but i will do another round tomorrow morning so i'll keep you posted

Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
Did the treatment three times on mine. Each time smoked worse than the time before.
hmmm...wow thats weird...i just did mine again this morning and this time there was barely any smoke comming out through the exhaust ....hmmm....gonna go for a third and final treatment tomorrow morning for this week haha....

question: how long do you guys let your car sit before you start it up again?

my answer: -first try was 15mins. wait then fired the car up and 10-15min hard drive....
-second try was 30mins. wait before i started up the car and the same 10-15mins. hard drive...

and when i start the car for both tries after the waiting period i let it idle for 5mins before i start my hard drive....

Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Sorry for the slow reply. Each time I did mine I let it sit for at least an hour before restarting the MINI. Then I slowly make my way to the interstate (about 5 minutes) then bust loose for about 15-20 minutes on the interstate. To define that, keep it out of 6th gear; only run in 4th and 5th gears while cruising at interstate speeds. No speeding required.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:09 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
stupid question. how do i remove the tube? i'm afraid of breaking that plastic ring tab piece. do i unfasten something, or can i just yank? (i gots a MC)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Have you tried seeing if rotating the ring unlocked it to allow being pulled off?

I guess my ADD just starts playing with stuff until it eventually comes off (hopefully in 1 piece!) lol.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
stupid question. how do i remove the tube? i'm afraid of breaking that plastic ring tab piece. do i unfasten something, or can i just yank? (i gots a MC)

on the clip there are 2 places where the clip has rivets( whatever you wanna call them), simply just push down on both sides and pull off

i am currently seafoaming my car as well =)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
on the clip there are 2 places where the clip has rivets( whatever you wanna call them), simply just push down on both sides and pull off

i am currently seafoaming my car as well =)
makes sense. thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
I just used a small screw driver to pop it loose.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

dude! wash that engine!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
dude! wash that engine!
at least it's usually covered. should see the outside of my car, especially the wheels. parked on the mean streets of nyc, i call it urban camouflage. especially after all the dents and scratches, guess i don't care enough for now, but i do admit i was a bit embarrassed while posting the picture here on NAM.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Finally did the carbon removal treatment thru the hose using my feeder bottle from www.carfood.net Using a mix of http://www.renewablelube.com/pdf/2I-...onditioner.pdf and Lube Control fuel Power 60 http://www.lcdinc.com/products_fuel_power.php These are expensive products known to remove carbon and clean fuel systems, look them up on www.bobistheoilguy.com I let 150 ML drip for about 10 minutes then shut it off for 30 minutes before driving rapidly as described above. I had little or no smoke. I think the smoke from Seafoam is a side effect of their ingredients (mostly Naptha) and has little to do with carbon removal. After 3 drives the check engine light reset and I noticed the engine was much quieter and smoother at start up and during driving with an apparent increase in power. What I thought was the timing tensioner noise that the dealer said was valve noise, was apparently valve noise because it is now gone. This is a 2008 MCS with 13600 miles. I had been running fuel system cleaners, the same stuff listed above, in the gas since I got the car in October and this treatment made more difference than all the stuff poured into the tank. I have done this before on older cars with more mileage and had great improvements in driveability, but never noticed such a dramatic change on a car with such low mileage.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
One thing though....on the 2nd and 3rd round, the car kept running after I shut it off, after injesting the SeaFoam. Not firing, but just turning...it was the weirdest thing. Any ideas as to what caused that?

i did my i seafoam yesterday i actually did 4 passes, but small increments cause i accidentally spilled majority of the can, but anyways tried it for the 5th time, (this time i actually used 1/3 of the can) and after running it through, when i shut off the car it was still turining as well . anyone else seem to experience this?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Its just from the chemicals that are inside the ingredient you are pouring into the motor itself. Think of it similar to a diesel motor, the compression is high enough that the motor does not need any spark to ignite the fuel. Its basically the same concept except your car is only turning because your ignition is turned off

Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
i did my i seafoam yesterday i actually did 4 passes, but small increments cause i accidentally spilled majority of the can, but anyways tried it for the 5th time, (this time i actually used 1/3 of the can) and after running it through, when i shut off the car it was still turining as well . anyone else seem to experience this?
Yes!! It's the weirdest thing!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^^^^^it's just that you have your carbon burning and it acts as an ignition,

It should quit after the fuel injection quits and it burns all residual fuel.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
not so funny thing. my 1 year old son saw the Seafoam, said "water", and handed it to me to open for him. wonder if his farts would have been smoky. city air you know.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
So is is another opinion about the oil catch can:

I had to remove my ALTA hot-side boost tube to repair the ALTA design flaw where the tube contacts/rubs against a heat dissipation coil mounting bracket mounted to the back of the radiator fan shroud.

At almost 46,000 miles there was no detectable oil residue in the hot side boost tube coming off of the turbo.

IMHO, with no neglicable amount of oil residue coming in from the inlet boost tube, which has a feed feeds off of the valve cover, it is worthless to mount the oil catch can where recommended.

The oil catch can should be mounted where the PCV valve hose comes off of the valve cover.

Additionally, this also indicates that there is no significant oil blowing by the turbo bearings.

Quick Reply: How To Maintenance :: How-To do Seafoam Treatment R55/R56