6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any ideas on getting the handle off?

Thanks?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you mean the lumbar support adjuster **** - just pull. It does rather wedge itself in place.

Andrew

Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Yup, that what i was talking about. thanks. I just need to adjust the size the the hole i made so that the leatherette sits more flush under the handle.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
bearwood
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone that is interested. I did a google on one of the spring mat part numbers and got a link to this place. http://www.allminiparts.com/products...102752613.html The interesting part is the model applicability at the bottom, it appears that this mod will work on a non sport seat as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Anyone interested in my stock springs? Pay for shipping and you can have them for free.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
I just installed the lumbar support on my leatherette seats. What a difference! I should have done this a long time ago. Great write up Andrew. The only difference with leatherette is there are two zippers on the rear that can be unzipped after you unhook the bottom of the seat back fabric from where it joins to the part that tucks under the seat back.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldtruckpainter
I just installed the lumbar support on my leatherette seats. What a difference! I should have done this a long time ago. Great write up Andrew. The only difference with leatherette is there are two zippers on the rear that can be unzipped after you unhook the bottom of the seat back fabric from where it joins to the part that tucks under the seat back.
you mean leatherette standard non-sport seats? i bought the springs a while ago and haven't had time yet to see if it can be easily installed in my non-sport seats.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
No. I have the sport seats. It looks like the insides are the same. So this may work for a non-sport seat also. Just the foam side bolsters are shaped different. I could see on the back side of the foam the word "Sport" imprinted on it.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks! I just installed the support in my R56 justacooper with basic non-sport leatherette seats. Much easier. No need to remove the seat latch or headrest. Just had fish out the tucked in zippers to unzip the back on both sides, remove one clip at the right bottom, unfasten the bottom edge where it goes around and is "tucked" in, lift up the now free flap to expose the old support, squeeze out the old support straight out the back and in with the new. I cut an X after I put in the new support. Hardest thing was snapping in the darn handle ****. Also, the screws I used really didn't secure the base of the ****, well, but with the handle snapped in place it works okay. It feels so much more comfortable for my 6ft frame with long legs and heavy bottom. I usually can't drive for more than an hour straight without my back aching and thigh going numb. I'll report back after my next road trip.

Last edited by lacning74; 03-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Stupid me. Never mind about the screws. I put them the wrong way.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 PM
auscoopers
Neutral
Does anyone know how to get the lumber support **** back off ???
I need the remove the cover to repair.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 PM
auscoopers
Neutral
Found out
You do just pull, There are two small lock tabs inside the **** at 90 degrees to where the three white tabs show when you are looking inside.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Yeah, just pull really hard. I almost broke my tailbone.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed this mod over the weekend. Very easy to do with the seat out. Thanks for the great How-To! My back thanks you!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
TheLex
2nd Gear
Since I do not have the time, I had the dealer do this mod for me. They charged me around 3 hrs of labor for both front seats. It came out great! There is now proper lower back support as opposed to the hole that your back falls into without the lumbar support. For everyone with lower back problems, just do this mod! Thanks to the OP!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
I have all the stuff for the passengers side if anyone is interested. 40 bucks plus shipping. I did the drivers side then traded in last week for a 2010 with real leather that already has the lumbar support on both seats. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PM sent phxsteele!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Thanks! I just installed the support in my R56 justacooper with basic non-sport leatherette seats. Much easier. No need to remove the seat latch or headrest. Just had fish out the tucked in zippers to unzip the back on both sides, remove one clip at the right bottom, unfasten the bottom edge where it goes around and is "tucked" in, lift up the now free flap to expose the old support, squeeze out the old support straight out the back and in with the new. I cut an X after I put in the new support. Hardest thing was snapping in the darn handle ****. Also, the screws I used really didn't secure the base of the ****, well, but with the handle snapped in place it works okay. It feels so much more comfortable for my 6ft frame with long legs and heavy bottom. I usually can't drive for more than an hour straight without my back aching and thigh going numb. I'll report back after my next road trip.
that looks awesome ... did you use the part numbers from http://www.allminiparts.com/products...102752613.html, or did you get it elsewhere/use other parts?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
So I looked at my non-sport leatherette seats, and I have this weird plastic cover in the back of the seat. Has anybody dealt with a seat like this?

........... I seem to be the only one left on this thread, hehe.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Angib
4th Gear
It sounds like you're describing this plastic piece on the seatback:

In which case, the guide in the first post in this thread will suit you perfectly. As you have non-sport seats, there may be some tiny differences in how things look but as far as I can tell, the only difference between sports and non-sports seats is the shape of the foam - what's underneath is identical.

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Retrofit adjustable lumbar support to a sports seat-seatback.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Angib
It sounds like you're describing this plastic piece on the seatback:

In which case, the guide in the first post in this thread will suit you perfectly. As you have non-sport seats, there may be some tiny differences in how things look but as far as I can tell, the only difference between sports and non-sports seats is the shape of the foam - what's underneath is identical.
I just re-read the first post in function of what I've seen on my car, and it would seem that it does apply. For some reason I focussed on the later post where you just unzip a few zippers - I think I got some wishful thinking happening there

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Angib, many thanks for the write up, with you directions I think it took about 30 minutes for both seats and that is with getting the wife to come try the fresh drivers seat before doing the passenger's.

On a side note, DO pry the headrest guides out, If you try to push it out from the bottom you WILL break the locking tabs.

To those that are fighting the urge.. DON'T this makes the car so much better for your back! I think my total cost at the local German dealer was 94 euro.

Last edited by david in germany; 10-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
KLOIN
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding adjustable lumbar to 2010 MCS Sport seats

I bought the adjustable inserts+***** from AllMiniParts.com in Atlanta.
The things to watch out for are:
-Go slow and print out the pictures and read the posts.
-The end of the zippers are 3in long and can be tucked uder the fabric very tight. I slipped a phillips head driver under the exposed edge and gradually
wiggged and pulled out the zipper with the pull at the end.
-The US Sport seats have a 12x15in BK plastic cover you have to release from the frame edges.
-The BK pin has a center pin you need to pull with a knife edge.
-Getting the leatherette cover loose to unzip the 2 zippers is tough. I sat in the back seat and clamped a vicegrip to the seat rail to hold it stationary to work on it.
-Take a >1.5 in wide putty spatula and push it into the folded seam and pull the back side BK plastic edge out of the front J-clip.
-Don't putz any with the bottom 2 wires with the white covers. Your going to throw the old wire frame away so you can abuse it.
-Take a visegrip or pointed pliers and bend the wire open and then shove a Lg wide flat screwdriver into the other side of the wire pushing it into the foam and forward.
- I bought 2 #8x1in Stainless screws and pushed the fabric & foam forward
on the inside side support to handle getting the screws started manually. The foam won't tear and you can pull it back around when your ready to zip things up.
-Pull the fabric tight to the rear & feel the adjuster cylinder under the fabric. My cylinders were both low in the seat foam holes and that's why I had to pull the foam forward to insert the screws.
-Now slice an X in the fabric about 1x1in and push your finger thru. Enlarge as needed and then push the handle thru the hole and spin it until you feel it drop in and the hit it firmly with your hand and it will snap on.
-Put it all together and enjoy. To adjust the seat firmer you rotate the top edge of both seats forward.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 AM
BigJacksMini
Neutral
R55 Stock Leatherette Seats

I also want to thank everyone for their pictures and experiences. I was able to fit the lumbar support to the driver's seat in about an hour, taking things slowly.

There are two things that may be helpful to other owners that I want to pass along: I was surprised to see a white plastic panel under the leatherette of my Clubman with standard seats, but it popped out with a little bending. Also, the $9 I paid for the seat fasteners kit was well worth while, as I broke one of the expanding fasteners while removing it.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is AMAZING!!!

I want to go to there!

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Retrofit adjustable lumbar support to a sports seat