Clear coat scratched

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear coat scratched

--Had an accident last night during the Halloween cruise at the Kaiser parking lot between my Mini and a blue convertible Mini. I had parked more than 3 feet away from her car and we had just parked and were finishing up our cigarettes when we heard someone falling out of the Blue convertible and then heard and felt their door swing wide and hit our car on the passenger door. I immediately got out of the car to take a look at the door expecting to see a dent and gougues as the impact was pretty hard. From what I could see in the dark parking lot there was no dent and the paint was still black. There were some light scratches and an inch long scuff mark but I didn't have a bright flashlight to really inspect it. The person who caused the impact apologized but I was not about to say "it was alright". Afterall I've only had the car for 2 weeks.

Today at lunch I went to look at the scratches and scuff and I tried to polish them out with some Meguiars quick detailer spray but the scratches are not coming out. The scuff is lightening but I think I will have to pay a detailer to buff the scratches out as I believe the clear coat is scratched.

I'm glad that the metal in the door of the Mini was thick enough not to dent. My old Toyotas or Nissans would've buckled under that kind of impact. I'm also glad that the clear coat was thick enough to protect the paint as well. I'm just sorry that some detailer will have to buff away some of that clear coat to make the door shiny again.

--pyratio

Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pyratio

Today at lunch I went to look at the scratches ans scuff and I tried to polish them out with some Meguiars quick detailer spray but the scratches are not coming out.
Try Meguiars Scratchx. Worked good for me on scratches on the boot from loading stuff in

Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
I'm sorry you got your first booboo...that really sucks...hopefull it buffs out easily!

Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Buffer available

I have a variable speed buffer if you need it. I use it for waxing and polishing and have several grades of foam pads. Just send me a PM if you need to borrow it anytime- I'll get it to you.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
sorry to hear about that Keith, no one wants to hear something like that with a brand new MINI. Did the person just swing the door open or did something fall out of the car?

Old 10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
YIKES i remember my first paint scratch was about my 3rd month into the car and during the holiday rush near macy, someone smacked my rear and left me with a paint scrape on my bumper. it took me until recently to repaint it...

Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 AM
pyratio
clown act

--Thanks Casey, actually the guy was coming out of the backseat and he tried to open the door carefully, but everyone in the front basically just got out and didn't bother to help the people in the back get out. So when this guy was trying to get out he couldn't see where he was stepping and I think he got his foot caught on the front drivers seat belt. He fell onto the door and that's how the door just swung at full width. So basically he fell out of the car and swung the door at my door. When he hit our car his full weight was behind the convertibles heavy weight door. When he hit us our whole car shook.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by Blown-Lone-Star
sorry to hear about that Keith, no one wants to hear something like that with a brand new MINI. Did the person just swing the door open or did something fall out of the car?

Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
oh man that totally sucks, i dont know if i would have been able to restrain myself, treasurer or not. ooops did i say that out loud . i just took my car in today for all the new goodies im getting installed.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
pyratio
No no no no

--Oh no this wasn't our treasurer. This was another blue convert. I have her license plate in several of my pictures.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by Blown-Lone-Star
oh man that totally sucks, i dont know if i would have been able to restrain myself, treasurer or not. ooops did i say that out loud . i just took my car in today for all the new goodies im getting installed.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
I'm going to move this over to the Hawaii forum, since it's not really club related.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
pyratio
buffing

--Thanks minihune I appreciate the offer. However because these scratches didn't penetrate through all of the clear coats I think I will let the pros try to get it out first as I might buff out too many layers at one time. Thanks again though.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by minihune
I have a variable speed buffer if you need it. I use it for waxing and polishing and have several grades of foam pads. Just send me a PM if you need to borrow it anytime- I'll get it to you.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:40 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Well at least it wasn't an intentional Mini-abuser like what happened to louis.

And so begins the slow spiraling descent into obsessive madness... AAAH! I see SWIRLS!!! My kingdom for a white car with black S-lites!

Good luck, and don't sign off on the work until you are completely satisfied. Anything can be repaired, it's just a question of how much work is needed

Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
Well at least it wasn't an intentional Mini-abuser like what happened to louis.

yeah, that really sucked. just checked with el's auto, looks like it might be next week friday! crappers next will be my breaks, retint and alarm....my wallet hurts!

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
pyratio
repair shop blues...

--Louis, what happened to your tint and alarm? Are you gonna change to EBC green brake pads? Less brake dust, more stopping! I know bad parody sorry.

Well don't worry your MINI should look beautiful next week. It'll be worth the wait.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by cwlouis
yeah, that really sucked. just checked with el's auto, looks like it might be next week friday! crappers next will be my breaks, retint and alarm....my wallet hurts!