Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

REALLY nice Classic Mini

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REALLY nice Classic Mini

Aloha folks!-

About a week ago a really nice red with white stripes classic Mini sporting four rally fog lights pulled up behind me at the intersection of Dole St. and McCulley.

I don't know what engine mods he was running but the Mini had a some very nice sounds emminating from under the hood.

Anyone know who that may have been?

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
dunno who that is...but I've seen it too. McCully's got another one...Green and White! Maybe that's where minis take refuge? Everyone move to McCully! hahahaah ok..I'm just saying cause that's where I live!

Hey pyratio...have you seen these two minis before in your neck of the woods?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
classic Minis

--Hmm no actually I'd probably drown in a pool of my own drool if I saw something like that.

I have seen a lot of unfriendly young ladies and scared looking retirees in Minis though. Definitely not HMMC members! I think I got a smile from a family in a black MC though.

I'll keep an eye out for the classics.

--pyratio

Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 AM
JCW04
4th Gear
Aloha folks!-

It seems that the new MINI owners haven't picked up on the "Thumbs Up" to your fellow MINI owners. lately I just get puzzled looks.

I think MoH needs to increase MINI awareness!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 10-26-2005, 06:41 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
i love the classics, originaly, i wanted to buy a classic and transplant a honda vtec engine. but when BMW aquired 100% of the Mini brand from rover and rebrand it as the new MINI, i figure this was a safer and less of a stress option. but someday when i have my very own car port, i still want to rebuild or work on the "austin" mini cooper s...

Originally Posted by JCW04
Aloha folks!-

It seems that the new MINI owners haven't picked up on the "Thumbs Up" to your fellow MINI owners. lately I just get puzzled looks.

I think MoH needs to increase MINI awareness!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 AM
pyratio
a british civic?

--A vtec in a Mini? No Louis don't do it!!!! Well... unless you're gonna supercharge it? Hmm why does that sound familiar....oh yeah...heard of the Atom?

http://www.arielatom.com/ariel/site.php

I SO want one!

--pyratio

Originally Posted by cwlouis
i love the classics, originaly, i wanted to buy a classic and transplant a honda vtec engine. but when BMW aquired 100% of the Mini brand from rover and rebrand it as the new MINI, i figure this was a safer and less of a stress option. but someday when i have my very own car port, i still want to rebuild or work on the "austin" mini cooper s...

Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 AM
JCW04
4th Gear
Whew! Nice wheels but DEFFINATELY a dry weather cruiser!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
, i know, a vtech mini...i saw a conversion kit in one of my classic mini mag and thought it was a great idea (at least for me)!. but it looked fun. but no, i'll never do that to the current mini....but i've seen a BMW block in a new MINI in one of my GOMINI mags...nice.

atom looks sweet...is this thing even street legal?

Originally Posted by pyratio
--A vtec in a Mini? No Louis don't do it!!!! Well... unless you're gonna supercharge it? Hmm why does that sound familiar....oh yeah...heard of the Atom?

I SO want one!

--pyratio

Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 PM
pyratio
ATOM bom

--Haha, it's funny. It's legal in England. I guess they don't have any safety standards or windshield laws. It would be cool living there just to be able to buy all those insane cars, but they drive on the wrong side of the road and they sit on the wrong side of the car too. Did you guys watch the Top Gear video on their site? Jeremy Clarkson's face flapping in the wind like a Hound Dog was hilarious! That was totally real too! I love that show. I love british cars. I think I'm gonna go marry a british honey so I have an excuse to go there and drive hooligan cars.

--pyratio

Originally Posted by cwlouis
, i know, a vtech mini...i saw a conversion kit in one of my classic mini mag and thought it was a great idea (at least for me)!. but it looked fun. but no, i'll never do that to the current mini....but i've seen a BMW block in a new MINI in one of my GOMINI mags...nice.

atom looks sweet...is this thing even street legal?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Latka
5th Gear
The Mini you saw most likely belongs to Ken T over on the town side. Very very nice car. From what I'm told his son drives it. If that in fact was his car it's a "Sportspack". Also has the 90hp conversion on his car. Quicker than most, but not as quick as a mini can go.

Not enough classic Minis on the island, that's for sure.

Yes, the Honda engine swap is legal.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Latka
The Mini you saw most likely belongs to Ken T over on the town side. Very very nice car. From what I'm told his son drives it. If that in fact was his car it's a "Sportspack". Also has the 90hp conversion on his car. Quicker than most, but not as quick as a mini can go.

Not enough classic Minis on the island, that's for sure.

Yes, the Honda engine swap is legal.
Yup, it sounds like Ken's car and it is a beauty! I think he still has his 72 350SL, too.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
ariel atom has a dealer in oregon now, from the last i herd they are going to be street legal in the U.S.

Originally Posted by pyratio
--Haha, it's funny. It's legal in England. I guess they don't have any safety standards or windshield laws. It would be cool living there just to be able to buy all those insane cars, but they drive on the wrong side of the road and they sit on the wrong side of the car too. Did you guys watch the Top Gear video on their site? Jeremy Clarkson's face flapping in the wind like a Hound Dog was hilarious! That was totally real too! I love that show. I love british cars. I think I'm gonna go marry a british honey so I have an excuse to go there and drive hooligan cars.

--pyratio

Old 04-05-2006, 02:31 AM
pyratio
atom-ic

--Oh bless you willymcd! I think I'll give them a call.

Hmm they come with GM engines though. Basically Saturn ION and ION Redline engines. Intawesting.

Originally Posted by willymcd
ariel atom has a dealer in oregon now, from the last i herd they are going to be street legal in the U.S.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 AM
bmrking1
1st Gear
Aloha! I have a 1975 Mini (93 spec) that I will be bringing to the Island this summer. I just got it from England and had it resprayed. It has new Cooper stripes and grill, chrome, rims, tires, fog lights, wood dash, and I will be addign a Stage 1 kit before shipping. If anyone is interested in buying her, let me know. I'm asking $11, 500, that's basically what I have into it.
You can email me at bmrking1@gmail.com.
please see photos at www.geocities.com/bmrking1 just click on the Mini link (says 1980, but it is registered and title in the US as a 1975)

Old 04-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Latka
5th Gear
A few questions for you:

- engine specs?
- Brakes - twin leading shoe drums / Cooper S / 8.4"? 12" wheels on it so I would guess the 8.4"s. Standard calipers?
- Side markers would indicate a MK4+ car... "Mini Sprite" definitely.
- Any shots of the spotlamps affixed? Are they the rover / wipac / different?
- Your photos show only the 2 clock arrangement - any photos of the wood dash fitted?

(edit) ...which Island are you coming to? There are a few out here.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 AM
bmrking1
1st Gear
The engine is 1275cc, and yes, it is a Mini Sprite, with Cooper stripes etc... 4 lights are Wipac, but since I am new to Minis I really don't know the difference. Everything was done in England before the car was shipped to the US. I have a photo with the lights but not the dash, will take some soon and then update the website. I am working with Heritage garage to get a Stage 1 kit and possibley change out the carb to a 1.75. The car maybe going to Ohau and stay with my in-laws, that way when we visit I will have a fun car to drive around (if it doesn't sell first). A photo with the lights is on my profile.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Latka
5th Gear
Those Wipac lights are *bright*. I've got a set on my '71. I prefer to drive at night just so I can melt the stripes off the center of the road.

Sounds like it's a really nice Mini! You've got my e-mail address now, so if you need anything out here just let me know.
-Andy