GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Updated pics of the garage (II)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOVE the garage, and of course the vehicles in it.
Originally Posted by GP Steve
Noticed the extra GP rims, are they hard to come by?
Originally Posted by gusmiami
Thanks. I got the wheels at the dealer with no problem. They'll just ask you for your VIN number to be able to get them for you.
Wow - I thought it was a lot harder than that, even for GP owners! Which dealership did you order from? How much per wheel? I know a certain GP owner that might just have to order a few <ahem> extra sets of spares.

(Oh Marina... are you reading this? )

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
70spop
6th Gear
[quote=gusmiami;1447123]I do love my M-Coupe. Especially now with the new wheels:

/quote]

YES!!! SWEET!!!! Dang, I LOVE those wheels, and they look fantastic on the M Coupe. Excellent choice. The Z4 really needs at least the 18" wheels to look good, imho, and the 19s are that much better.

so jealous.....

Old 05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
that garage is the exact way i pictured my future garage, with the exact same cars!

i'm almost there. i just need two more things. a garage, and an M coupe. the M coupe is my first true love! if when i ordered my MINI that I wasn't looking for a daily driver, i would have bought an M coupe. Now the MINI isn't my daily driver, but i don't regret it. cuz i love my MINI!

i haven't driven the new M coupe yet though. i think i will have to though. I've only driven the old ones. I love the 01-02 M coupes.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluminiboy
that garage is the exact way i pictured my future garage, with the exact same cars!
i'm almost there. i just need two more things. a garage, and an M coupe. the M coupe is my first true love!.................................
Thanks for the compliments. I love the M-Coupe. It's fast and handles incredibly, but having had Audi's in the past I can honestly say that the M-Coupe is a piece of crap. It's a BEAUTIFUL car, but the build/finish on the car leaves a LOT to be desired. My last 3 cars were Audi's. I had 2 S4's (Bi-turbo, then the 8 cyl.) and my ex's Allroad. Those cars are TANKS and the fit/finish on them is head and shoulders above that of the BMW. I wish so badly that the BMW would measure up to the Audi. I paid good money for it and it is, after all, a gorgeous car. But if I had to get rid of either the GP or the M-Coupe, I would get rid of the M-Coupe. The GP is off limits. So to make a long story short, be happy with the mini. The M isn't all you think it is.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:52 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Interesting stuff about the mcoupe. Thanks for sharing.

mb

Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
I have two friends that own BMW M3s and both of them have had to have all the main bearings replaced in their engines. One of the cars had to have the mains replaced twice.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
PGT
Banned
I bet the Audi's looked great broken down in your driveway. I keed, I keed

Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
brigadoonb
3rd Gear
great looking garage...someday I will have that too!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Beautiful setup, somebody likes shopping at Griot's Garage!

I think if I were doing my floor, I'd just buy black and white linoleum squares, extremely durable, cheap and easy to install (although not as easy as a snap together floor), and you can wash and squeegee it to your hearts content.

My neighbor has the snap together floor and it creaks and snaps and pops when you drive or even walk on it, does yours?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
Just be careful. With the VCT (vinyl composition tile) the tires will leave brown spots on the white tiles so the little parking aids are a must. I have a VCT floor in my garage.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
cooper99
Banned
I just saw your garage gusamini in the new MC2 magazine. Very nice job.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I bet the Audi's looked great broken down in your driveway. I keed, I keed
No way in hell buddy. The Audi's have never failed me. On the contrary, they have held up while others, like my M-coupe have had problems. I wish it weren't the case since I obviously bought the car, but the car doesn't compare to the Audi in terms of build quality. Funny you should say that about the Audi since the ONLY car that HAS sat broken down on my driveway IS the BMW.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Beautiful setup, somebody likes shopping at Griot's Garage!

I think if I were doing my floor, I'd just buy black and white linoleum squares, extremely durable, cheap and easy to install (although not as easy as a snap together floor), and you can wash and squeegee it to your hearts content.

My neighbor has the snap together floor and it creaks and snaps and pops when you drive or even walk on it, does yours?
Not at all.......I really have no issues with mine at all.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper99
I just saw your garage gusamini in the new MC2 magazine. Very nice job.
LOL....that's funny. I had spoken to the gentleman from that magazine about that and he had asked me for a short write-up on it. I was in and out of town at the time and couldn't get around to it in time. I guess he went with it anyway.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
BoarderDave
2nd Gear
Wow.. that's an awesome garage.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Holy potatoes that place is amazing! Some day I'll ditch the condo scene and get a "real" house with a garage. I just hope it can look half that nice!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Holy potatoes that place is amazing! Some day I'll ditch the condo scene and get a "real" house with a garage. I just hope it can look half that nice!
Yeah, not having a garage would kill me. I had an apartment when I first moved from home and I hated not being able to wash my car, etc. My next place was a townhouse that HAD a garage and a huge driveway. That's the bare minimum I would need.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
MPowerMini
1st Gear
gusmiami - are those NEEZ on your M Coupe?

I drove a 2006 A8 for about 2 months before I got the GP and I personally didn't like it at all. I think BMW is head and shoulders above Audi right now. Quatro is way too heavy and makes for a boring, understeering driving experience. I have logged a far amount of time in the E60 M5 and as far as I'm concerned, BMW's product is way ahead of Audi.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Can I sleep in your garage if I'm good.......and .......Quiet......

Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerMini
gusmiami - are those NEEZ on your M Coupe?

I drove a 2006 A8 for about 2 months before I got the GP and I personally didn't like it at all. I think BMW is head and shoulders above Audi right now. Quatro is way too heavy and makes for a boring, understeering driving experience. I have logged a far amount of time in the E60 M5 and as far as I'm concerned, BMW's product is way ahead of Audi.
The wheels are OEM BMW Wheels. They are the CSL wheels that come on the M3-CSL.
As for the Audi/BMW thing. I couldn't disagree more. Although I was referring more to the build, I don't agree about the drivability issue you talk about. There are plenty of cars that come AWD, like the Audi (think 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo) that are PLENTY fun to drive. Oh and the car you mention, the A8, is not exactly the car to compare to an M5. Please remember that I have had BOTH and currently have BOTH. With the TT, we wanted the 2.0 Turbo engine since more can be brought out of it. Quattro is unfortunately not available for that engine yet. Even at that, the car is very fun to drive.
But again, as for the build quality, it's not even CLOSE. I think BMW is living on a reputation they built in the past. Even friends of mine who have the BMW also think the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I wash my cars myself and know them inside and out. I know very inch of those cars and welcome you to come over any day and I will point out all the spots in that car where BMW cut corners. It's a shame too because the car is gorgeous and yes it IS a blast to drive. It's very fast and handles great, but it's just a shame to spend that much money on a car and not have a better built, better finished and better appointed car........not to mention a car that doesn't rattle after 7k miles. Please don't get me wrong. I love my M-coupe. At least the way it looks and drives. Look at it this way. It's kind of like having a really hot girlfriend who's great in the sack, but is dumb as a box of rocks and as shallow as a puddle. It's just a shame that it's not a total package.

Last edited by GP1152; 07-16-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 AM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
most flooring like this is raised and has the ability to drain water away underneath. If your garage is graded properly and the tile doesn't sit flush on the concrete, you can hose off as much as you want. In fact, any tile that doesn't do this shouldn't be used on concrete.

here's a piece of Daytona flooring. I've got some samples in the garage - I can snap pics of the underside to show the 'pillar' supports that allow water to flow easily below it.

How do the raised tiles hold up to jack stands etc.? I would worry about the jack stands cutting through the plastic

Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
gp1007
1st Gear
awesome garage.

My Dad's NSX trumps my GP for the garage spot. its gotta stay outside!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Volker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
How do the raised tiles hold up to jack stands etc.? I would worry about the jack stands cutting through the plastic
My tiles just came this week but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
But I read on several boards that people use metal sheets underneath jacks and other heavy equipment.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gp1007
awesome garage.

My Dad's NSX trumps my GP for the garage spot. its gotta stay outside!

Lol ...both cars are shweet rides.....sorry if I can't muster sympathy for though...

Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Rasch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gusmiami
I finally had my painter come by to paint the garage. Let me know what you think. Note that the I had the light fixtures painted as well as the exposed plumbing, the door, garage door tracks, garage door motors and AC compressor hose. The first pic is the before pic and if you wanna see more, look at the first post here

It is a dang shame that you don't appreciate your car.

Nice digs.

RASCH

Quick Reply: Updated pics of the garage (II)