GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Is the GP suspension different than JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keano
Does this mean that when retrofitting the JCW suspension that it should come with the 17mm rear sway bar as part of the kit?
No... but that doesn't matter, because all R53s already have it from the factory.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI- I have the JCW suspension package & I run 225/50R16s & it didn't really soften up the ride.

I went with 16" tire & wheels because they're lighter but was hoping for a more noticeable ride difference as a bonus.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Keano
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bahawton
FYI- I have the JCW suspension package & I run 225/50R16s & it didn't really soften up the ride.

I went with 16" tire & wheels because they're lighter but was hoping for a more noticeable ride difference as a bonus.
Im going from 30mm drop with eibach springs and stock shocks (been on the car for 4 years!) to the JCW suspension setup - Im assuming the JCW setup will be softer than what I currently have... it cant be alot harder surely!!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I never noticed that GP suspension was that taut until I moved to the east coast (PA) Yes I agree GP feels stiff as hell now, if you drive around new york or pennsylvavia, theres alot of potholes but worse the pavement is uneven as well as the manhole covers uneven with as much as 6 inch gap to them also highways have these gap every 50 yards or so that almost make my GP lift off few inches. I got a set of R98 webspokes with Nitto NeoGens (non-runflats) to alleviate the harsh roads but still feels harsh and worse it lowered the car more and now I scrape the bottom everywhere and bottom out (kapOW!) alot.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe one main thing driving the stiffness of the JCW suspension is the stiffness of the springs. The JCW springs (yellow stripe) on my GP are stiffer than H&R springs. The JCW wire gauge is thicker than the H&R wire. I do not know about the eibach wire diameter and amount of coils. I am not sure if the JCW shocks on the GP are the same as all other JCW shocks (I do not know if they have different valving for different applications like they do with the springs). Thus you could end up a little stiffer but should not be much difference. The difference will probably mainly be because your stock shocks have to be worn out from use with lowering springs.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
I am not sure if the JCW shocks on the GP are the same as all other JCW shocks (I do not know if they have different valving for different applications like they do with the springs).
As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the GP and the JCW suspensions are identical (tuned to the application) except for the aluminum trailing arms on the GP.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Keano
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
The difference will probably mainly be because your stock shocks have to be worn out from use with lowering springs.
I think thats hit it on the head Uprated wishbone bushes should help too...

My JCW suspension kit arrived today If anyone wants to know anything just let me know - pics can be added if needed

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Keano
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the GP and the JCW suspensions are identical (tuned to the application) except for the aluminum trailing arms on the GP.
Tried to get the Gp trailing arms to fit with my suspension but with no joy - has anyone fitted the Gp arms? I think its a weight saving of about 7.5kg each arm but is the difference going to be significant/worthwhile?????

Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Tried to get the Gp trailing arms to fit with my suspension but with no joy - has anyone fitted the Gp arms? I think its a weight saving of about 7.5kg each arm but is the difference going to be significant/worthwhile?????
Keano... a little reading for you:

MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Adding GP trailing arms to R53

and

NAM Alliance online Magazine - Issue 1

The first link is a thread that details exactly what parts are different between a regular R53 suspension and a GP suspension (in terms of the trailing arms, not the JCW suspension upgrade).

The second link contains an article that explains how to retrofit the R56 trailing arms (which are essentially identical to the GP trailing arms) to an R53.

One or both of those should be helpful.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Keano
3rd Gear
Excellent stuff - thanks Edge!

Will take a look through that soon... I tried to get a set from a dealership over here but was told that the parts are all the same: R53/GP/R56 so was advised not to bother.... I will have another look into it...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Excellent stuff - thanks Edge!

Will take a look through that soon... I tried to get a set from a dealership over here but was told that the parts are all the same: R53/GP/R56 so was advised not to bother.... I will have another look into it...
In the U.S. the dealers are actually demanding that you prove that you own a GP before they will order GP specific parts for you.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
No... but that doesn't matter, because all R53s already have it from the factory.
Then what does the Sport Plus suspension come with? I thought the base suspension need the upgrade and not the Sport suspension.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Keano
3rd Gear
In the U.S. the dealers are actually demanding that you prove that you own a GP before they will order GP specific parts for you.
yeah chassis numbers are needed here too, but if the r56 arms are the same as the gp ones then i would just be getting the r56 version... even if they need a bit of modification they would still be easier/cheaper to get hold of than the gp versions....

Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Keano
3rd Gear
Then what does the Sport Plus suspension come with? I thought the base suspension need the upgrade and not the Sport suspension.
I would say the difference in the SS+ and SS would be different damping, possibly different springs too... no difference in sway bar.

Ive now had the JCW suspension kit delivered. For the S you get the shocks and springs in the kit. For the Cooper/One you also get front and rear sway bars in addition as part of the kit. I have a copy of the BMW fitting instructions with details if anyone wants any info from it let me know.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I would say the difference in the SS+ and SS would be different damping, possibly different springs too... no difference in sway bar.
That is not the case, here in the USA at least.

Here in the USA, the SS suspension did not have a rear sway bar at all. The SS+ came with it (the same one also used for the JCW suspension). Of course, the SS+ was standard on MCSes anyway... it was only the Cooper that came with the SS and the SS+ was an option.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Keano
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
That is not the case, here in the USA at least.

Here in the USA, the SS suspension did not have a rear sway bar at all. The SS+ came with it (the same one also used for the JCW suspension). Of course, the SS+ was standard on MCSes anyway... it was only the Cooper that came with the SS and the SS+ was an option.
Ok thanks for the clarity

Over here there is a lot of moaning about how SS+ suspension is so stiff yet no mention of any problems with SS - I kinda assumed this was in part due to different damping rates... they must just like to moan lol What your saying does make more sense.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Over here there is a lot of moaning about how SS+ suspension is so stiff yet no mention of any problems with SS - I kinda assumed this was in part due to different damping rates... they must just like to moan lol What your saying does make more sense.
Well, I'm sure the different damping rates also played a role in the feeling. I do know that they "softened" up the SS+ suspension at one point (2003?) due to customer complaints. Wimps.