General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for tiing chain and seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 09:45 AM
NoBrand
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for tiing chain and seals

So, the wife's 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman has finally gotten to the point where the valve seals are bypassing enough oil that it's getting misfire codes (checked with my foxwell scanner). Not only that, it's consuming oil at a ridiculous rate.

The car is getting laid up for winter in my heated shop, so lots of time to get the job done right. we put it away every winter because it's not really a great winter road car and we salt our roads here. She drives her Chrysler AWD mini van in winter.

I've been slowly collecting all the special tools (spark plug socket, valve spring compressor, cam spring compressor, cam blocking tools, etc) to spread out the costs because, well, they ain't cheap!

I have the Bentley manual, the factory manual program and many, many, many years working on North American vehicles. I have less experience with european vehicles, but still enough to be able to figure out what I need to figure out. Actually doing the work isn't a problem for me.

The mini has roughly 150,000 kms on it so it's time for some heavy maintenance. Compression tests revealed the cylinders are still in good shape and it runs good, except for the classic valve seal smoking behavior and the computer occasionally kicking it into misfire "limp home" modes. Plan is to tear the N12 down and replace the valve seals, the timing chain/guides (bolts and all the trimmings too). While I've got it apart, I'm planning to change the vacuum pump, the water pump drive and maybe the water pump and oil pump drive. Possibly the thermostat housing (since it comes with the thermostat). It's a "I've got it apart, might as well change what is hard to get to" thing.

Planning to order the parts from ECS tuning.

I am planning to order all "genuine" BMW parts.

My question is; is it worth buying all BMW parts or are the aftermarket ones just as good?

I'm not so much concerned with saving money (looks like it will be around $1500 CAD for all of it), I just want to put the best parts I can into it so I get t the longest service life out of them and I can send the wife out in it and not have to worry about it breaking down on her. Well, anything can break, I just want to make sure I'm putting the best quality parts into it that i can get.....

Last edited by NoBrand; 11-18-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:52 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I think the only item I would go original Mini/BMW part would be the water pipe. I've heard too many horror stories for aftermarket pipes not fitting correctly. Everything else I would consider aftermarket to save money, but maybe not THE cheapest parts.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:58 AM
NoBrand
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
I think the only item I would go original Mini/BMW part would be the water pipe. I've heard too many horror stories for aftermarket pipes not fitting correctly. Everything else I would consider aftermarket to save money, but maybe not THE cheapest parts.
As mentioned, not looking to save money. Looking for the best quality parts for the best chance at longevity/serviceability. can't send the wife off to work every day in a car I don't have absolute faith in. Price is not a consideration for me when talking family safety and security.

Besides, 1500 bucks isn't a big bill for the amount of work I'm going to do to it. Maybe closer to 2g if taking into account the cost of the special tools.

Hmmmm, did I just answer my own question?

LOL!

Last edited by NoBrand; 11-18-2022 at 11:53 AM.