General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment - Where Do You Have it Done ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:10 AM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Alignment - Where Do You Have it Done ?

I have a bubble in my front left tire from hitting a pothole on a dark stretch of the Southern State Parkway. The **** Hankooks ALL have to be replaced at 24,400 miles. (Though the front are clearly more worn than the back) I was also told there was some "feathering" in one of my rear tires. Do you trust dealerships to tell the truth about Alignment? If so where do you have them done and what is the average cost. I am in NY and I had to have several alignments done on my 6 BMW's... but I was in better financial shape then :(

Thanks

Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven't needed an alignment yet, but when I do, I'll bring it to the dealer. I checked around for alignment prices and the local MINI dealer was very reasonable, they also have the correct alignment rig for a four wheel alignment.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:36 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Curbside in front of my house.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I really think you need to find a known good alignment shop. I have known over the years, there are few "good alignment shops out there! Finding the right one can be tricky!

Old 06-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I really think you need to find a known good alignment shop. I have known over the years, there are few "good alignment shops out there! Finding the right one can be tricky!

agree 110% ... a poor alignment is worse than not doing it at all. Finding a 'good' shop is like finding a dentist you like and trust!

Had new tires put on the R59 recently and the tire place put it on the rack for a free alignment check and SURPRISE they recommended an alignment - no issues with this. But the BIG surprise was when they said one of the numbers that was out in the back required a special tool they did not have and so they recommended I take the car to the dealer so the job was done 100% .... said they would not to do the job and not be able to do everything needed ..... not often a shop recommends you take the car someplace else.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Check with some of the local car clubs and see who they like for their autoX and track day setups.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by chefjoseph
I have a bubble in my front left tire from hitting a pothole on a dark stretch of the Southern State Parkway. The **** Hankooks ALL have to be replaced at 24,400 miles. (Though the front are clearly more worn than the back) I was also told there was some "feathering" in one of my rear tires. Do you trust dealerships to tell the truth about Alignment? If so where do you have them done and what is the average cost. I am in NY and I had to have several alignments done on my 6 BMW's... but I was in better financial shape then :(

Thanks
Kudos to you driving your Mini on Southern State with all those potholes... Whenever I get new tires or do suspension work, I spend the $100 and take it to the dealer. They do them all day, everyday, don't think anyone else can do a better job. Anyplace else, you're going to spend at least $80....

Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We have done it here on our MINIs many times. We are not a shop that works on customer cars but i can tell you-you need to have a place that knows MINIs and also knows what mods you can do to align it.

If really lowered you will need rear adjustable control arms(aftermarket)arms to get them back into alignment. Most MINI dealers will do stock suspension cars.

Local MINI clubs can help you out.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Even in the "old" days, with only the front needing alignment, it was still a bit difficult to find a quality shop. I once had a highly regraded shop do the front of my 67 Chevy II. A VERY simple task. As soon as I drove off the lot, I knew that they messed up.
That's when I started collecting the equipment to do learn to do the work myself.
And on that note, I recently gave away my old magnetic caster-camber gauge (Mini hubs are small and of aluminum), and bought a modern, digital tool.

I still can't do it CORRECTLY, that is, four wheel, laser equipment, but I can do the simple caster, camber and toe. Just separatly, not combined like it should be.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
rebonz (07-02-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Even if you have the best tools available, this is no easy task, just to set up the tools correctly is tough enough. You need a premo shop, with up to date equipment and skills with Mini, to get the job done right!
Mini dealers are not the best way, by far!
There are no shops in my area, that I would entrust this job to! A bad job is worse than not doing it!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If you need an alignment (usually because of irregular tire wear)

Then the first place to call are specialty brake and alignment shops. If you have OEM suspension you can also try chain tire shops that offer alignment but skill may vary and I would trust specialty shops more as you want things done correctly with a final printout sheet showing the alignment settings achieved.

Dealerships can do alignment but will charge much more for no better service. If you can get it done on special that might save time.

If you have a lowered suspension you are best off with a specialty shop since some alignment machines can't handle lowered cars.

Anytime you do alignment you can ask for particular settings especially if you want to do performance driving (track or autocross). Otherwise every shop will have the OEM specs for each model and year which are the settings they will attempt.

In general toe settings front and rear are easily adjusted, toe needs to be very slightly in for the front and slightly in for the rear. For performance driving you want very slight toe out or zero toe in front and very slight toe in or zero toe in the rear. these settings help make turning easier when doing many tight turns.

Camber settings are usually not very adjustable in front but less negative is better for tire wear while more negative is better for fast turns in the front. In the rear you want less negative camber and it is easily adjusted. More negative rear camber increases understeer and wears the inner tire treads faster.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:12 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It all comes down to the person who is actually doing the work, even at the dealer. Guy might be new, in a hurry, hungover etc. Almost any decent alignment shop "can" do the job correctly it's just a matter of "who" is doing the work.... My local Mock Tire which is a small chain that does tires mainly, but also brakes, alignments etc has done my lowered MINI with fully adj suspension front and rear and they do it for the same price as a typical alignment. $80 or so... and willing to do it to whatever specs I give them...Their alignment guy is older and only works till about 2:00 each day. So even at a different Mock Tire I may not get the same service as I do at the one I use...

Last edited by N2MINI; 06-26-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2019, 02:10 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Alignment is not super difficult but you need experience and know what you are doing and how suspension works on different cars.

In general you can use the OEM suspension parts to adjust settings to some degree but depending on design there can be limits. Beyond OEM parts, upgraded suspension parts can be adjustable and offer a greater range of alignment options.

Know that alignment which is best for tire wear and stability on Street driving is not good for traction and tire wear on the track or at autocross or a driving school, in fact these uses for the MINI are in opposite directions. While it is possible to realign the car for street vs performance driving it's a hassle for most owners.

Alignment equiptment can be different, talk to your shop and ask about their workers and experience with the MINI model year you have.

In my area basic four wheel alignment runs about $130 and takes 90 minutes.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE: I was told by my SA at Mini/BMW Freeport that they have an alignment "special" for $150.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:55 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
One possible problem/situation with shops, especially the dealers, is that you will not be able to get a more performance oriented adjustment. They are bound by state laws and great possibility of law suits if problems occur (liability laws).
They are pretty much bound to adjust to OEM adjustment values.

While this is not all bad, if you know someone that can make small changes after a "proper" four wheel adjustment is completed, a little extra camber isn't going to cause any harm to the previous factory adjustment.
But this all supposes that your car has the equipment to be able to be adjusted past factory numbers (adjustable rear bars and caster/camber plates in the front).

What "minihune" has posted is mostly correct, there are camber adjustments that can be made for better street handling without rapidly killing the tires. One doesn't have to drive the streets with -2.50° or 3.00° of camber...that will kill tires faster than a more straight up and down tire will.

Mike

Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by chefjoseph
UPDATE: I was told by my SA at Mini/BMW Freeport that they have an alignment "special" for $150.

The one on Sunrise Highway. was just over there a few weeks ago in Freeport . $150, I guess that's a NY Special........