General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever drive in a Mini (times 2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Boxsternaut
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First ever drive in a Mini (times 2)

Headed over to my local Mini dealer today to see what they had by way of 2 door hardtop hatches, either S or JCW. They only had one of each, both a Gen 3. Although it's not my first experience in sporty cars, this was my first ever experience in a Mini. I guess I went in expecting a bit more. First ride was a 2015 S 6 speed. Power wasn't bad, ride was soft and comfortable. But the body roll on turns shocked me. I wasn't expecting there to be so much. It was almost scary like it was going to wash out at speed. At lower speeds, like 30 MPH it was evident, but not as much so. At highway speeds, I wasn't comfortable in the car's ability to go where I wanted it to go. So when we got back I asked if there was anything there they had with a sport suspension. They pulled up a 2019 JCW (used, under 300 miles - story in a minute). It was an automatic, something I'm not looking for but I didn't feel it was that important to drive a stick when I was looking for handling feel. It was much more peppy power wise, I guess obviously. Handling wise it was far better and instilled a lot more confidence turning in at speed. But it was still softer than I expected overall, but adequate I guess I'd call it. I'll definitely need to try earlier generations before I consider entertaining any decision on buying something. Unfortunately all they had of a 2013 or earlier was a clubman. Not interested unfortunately.

So onto that 19 JCW. Window sticker is close to $44K. The sales person I was dealing with, if I recall correctly said they'd take $36K. It has under 300 miles (maybe closer to that after my ride today). Apparently some guy bought it without consulting with the significant other. The other wasn't happy at all and made him get rid of it. Poor guy! So the dealership bought it back (no doubt for a heck of a loss) and now they have it as used. I'd call it new. If you're looking for an automatic 2019 JCW for a good price, this might be it. https://www.newcountrymini.com/used/...2b219d5ea0.htm

No affiliation at all with the dealership. Just sticking this out there in case someone is looking for one at what I would think is a pretty good deal.

Cheers!

Old 03-16-2019, 01:33 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxsternaut
...this was my first ever experience in a Mini. I guess I went in expecting a bit more.
...I'll definitely need to try earlier generations before I consider entertaining any decision on buying something.
Try out a first-gen (2003-2006) R53 and report back with your impressions...

Old 03-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Try out a first-gen (2003-2006) R53 and report back with your impressions...

While I agree with your intent, not sure driving a 15 year old car is going to deliver the targeted result either. While wondering why you dismiss the 2002, which I owned, I'd say that every year SINCE 2002 MINI has taken the handling down one notch ... to the point my 2007 reminded me of my 1975 Olds Cutlass and not my 1979 Mini . . .

Yes GEN1 WAS a very different handling car as compared to today's .... but then again, they didn't sell a 4 door either (OMG) or a 4WD (OOMMGG) back then
It has transitioned from an enthusiast car to a soccer mom car for most of the buyers. Last MiNi gig I went to over 50% of the cars were 4 doors driven by retired folks (like me)

So OP, you say:

Although it's not my first experience in sporty cars, this was my first ever experience in a Mini.

1. What 'sporty car' are you comparing to?

2. You experienced a MINI, not Mini! My 79 Mini, 1275A+ with many modifications & on 6x10 wheels is WAY different than our '15 R59 MINI
or the delivered today F57 (damn these things are like peanuts . . . can't have one, or two, or three)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 03-16-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
What about an old Fiat which was made in Poland,
but now swapped with a 900RR Honda motor?

This is what I'd love to experience!

Old 03-16-2019, 05:46 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Buy the '15 S, replace stock roll bar with after market... smiles..

Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
or the delivered today F57 (damn these things are like peanuts . . . can't have one, or two, or three)
Is this a drive-by announcement of a new addition?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Boxsternaut
1st Gear
So OP, you say:

Although it's not my first experience in sporty cars, this was my first ever experience in a Mini.

1. What 'sporty car' are you comparing to?
A Porsche. My first was a 2003 Boxster S and currently I enjoy a 2016 Boxster GTS (when the roads and temps allow). And years ago, many of them, I worked at a foreign auto garage. MGB's, TR4's, XKE's and others were aplenty.

2. You experienced a MINI, not Mini! My 79 Mini, 1275A+ with many modifications & on 6x10 wheels is WAY different than our '15 R59 MINI
Got it. Although I'm nearing retirement, I'll try not to forget that.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:13 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
While I agree with your intent, not sure driving a 15 year old car is going to deliver the targeted result either. While wondering why you dismiss the 2002, which I owned...
My mistake for omitting the 2002, but I'll wholeheartedly stand by my suggestion for the O.P. to drive a well maintained R53... And this is coming from a two-time Porsche owner...

Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Boxsternaut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
My mistake for omitting the 2002, but I'll wholeheartedly stand by my suggestion for the O.P. to drive a well maintained R53... And this is coming from a two-time Porsche owner...
I've no doubt that if I run into one in my search and travels I will definitely look to drive one.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:34 AM
minniedryver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've no doubt that if I run into one in my search and travels I will definitely look to drive one.
If you find yourself near Newport, RI you're welcome to test drive my '05 MCS. Not for sale, but will give you an idea of the difference of a 1st gen.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
+1 AoxoMoxoA - with respect to everyone out there who drives one, MINIs have become too large to earn the moniker. A well set up R53 is a thing of beauty and an absolute blast to drive. I've owned Mustangs, Corvettes, Jaguars and motorcycles and nothing comes close to the joy of the MINI.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
...I'd say that every year SINCE 2002 MINI has taken the handling down one notch...
I'd like to revisit that statement...

I'm curious as to how that's possible with the R53 platform as the chassis, suspension, brake and steering components are identical throughout the entire 1st-gen run... There were updates to the aesthetic package, with creature comfort 'facelift' items added in the middle of the run, but how exactly did the handling incrementally degrade "every year" over the entirety of the 1st-gen MINIs?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:54 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
...MINIs have become too large to earn the moniker.
Agreed...

In the winter of 2015, I made my appointment at a local MINI dealer for the (October 2015 recall) power steering pump replacement to be done. They offered me a loaner -- in my case, they issued me a brand new 2016 Cooper S with just over 500 miles on the odometer, which I took for the day. I put about 150-miles on the car that day, and outside of the car being quick, the handling and road feel was far short of my stock 2004 R53. When I returned at the end of the day to pick up my car, the service adviser had this big grin on his face and asked me what I thought about the loaner, to which I replied (to his astonishment) "I can't wait to drive my car home."

There's a rawness to the go-cart like R53s that the subsequent years filtered out and lost.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Boxsternaut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minniedryver
If you find yourself near Newport, RI you're welcome to test drive my '05 MCS. Not for sale, but will give you an idea of the difference of a 1st gen.
I really appreciate the offer minnidryver. I really like the Newport & Narraganset areas and don't get there enough. We'll see...