General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coatings

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Coatings

Has anyone rebuilt their Cooper engine and had parts coated? How do you determine if the coating is worth the investment? Does coating on bearings, camshafts, etc. wear/flake off? Who did the coatings? How much did that process cost?
Please share insights.

Thanks, DR

Old 08-25-2018, 06:44 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I've used many different coatings lately. Which coatings / parts are you considering?

Old 08-25-2018, 09:38 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Most help to least help.

1. Piston skirts (anti-friction)
2. Piston head (thermal)
3. Combustion chamber (thermal)
4. Sub-zero "treating" (not a coating) transmission, differential gears and shafts, axle components (anti-friction and strength)
5. Bearings (anti-friction)

No cam or valve coatings. Though some coat the chamber side of the valve heads in the thermal coatings.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
bratling (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:28 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by OCR
Most help to least help.

1. Piston skirts (anti-friction) - Normally a Dry Film coating, works well if properly applied, works on valve stems also.
2. Piston head (thermal) - Polyphen is the most common and works well. An engineer once asked me a good question about this "Why are you trying to protect the piston from heat, you have piston squirters for that?"
3. Combustion chamber (thermal) - Same as above, works on valve faces also
4. Sub-zero "treating" (not a coating) transmission, differential gears and shafts, axle components (anti-friction and strength) - Cryo treating is cheap and easy. REM/ISF or WPC treatment for gears is better than a dry film type coating for longevity purposes. I also use ISF on timing gears to reduce friction.

5. Bearings (anti-friction) - Dry Film coating, works great.

No cam or valve coatings. Though some coat the chamber side of the valve heads in the thermal coatings.

My current head has a Ti-N coating on the rocker shafts and once I decide on a cam I will do the Dry Film on the cam journals. You could do a variety of coatings on the cam lobes but I would probably opt for a WPC treatment for longevity.
There is a lot of newer tech that can be used to help longevity and hp out there, we just need to start using it. The biggest misconception is these coatings "make hp", they don't. They reduce friction and wear that helps reduce the stress on the components in the engine.

Last edited by downshift1; 08-26-2018 at 08:38 AM.