General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 2019 Electric MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thoughts on 2019 Electric MINI

So I saw this posted on facebook a few days ago and I am not a green freak guy or care about saving the trees but find that cars like the Tesla Model 3 would be so cool to own but I cant afford that now but then saw this new all electric Mini and I think if BMW does it right, it can be a real snappy machine with the torque of electric motors.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/min...-and-info-news

PS the concept for the JCW GP looks sick too!!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
The following users liked this post:
MiniCooperMe (10-13-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm not a green freak, but not quite as uncaring as you. Save the trees or eventually the planet dies, pretty simple to reason out.

I'll be first on line for an E hardtop. I think all the electric cars except Tesla are ugly. Not sure why mfgs think they must make E cars looks so bad.

BossHoss (07-21-2018)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I should have worded it different because it's not that I hate trees or whatever just saying I'm not looking for one to save the planet because I'm sure making batteries does more harm then anything else...but aside that ya I agree mostly everything I can think for e cars are nasty except for Tesla and hope that I can afford this guy when it comes out and hope we learn some specs like range and maybe other features that might come available...

Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I think all EV's are not very sustainable. Every few years, the batteries die and have to be replaced. The replacement alone costs as much as the entire car.
I think a hybrid is more practical. Not many charging stations are compatible with several different cars.
Also, they're only really practical place to drive is in places with a lot of traffic (NYC, San Fransisco, Los Angeles).

Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
All I can say is: Yuck!
It makes me sad to see what is happening to Mini!

Noonzio (10-17-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
All I can say is: Yuck!
It makes me sad to see what is happening to Mini!
That's just a concept. Will probably look pretty much as they do now, which might still get a yuck out of you.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:57 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
This is what you can expect from BMW. The same basic running/performing car as the BMW i3.
This is the Car and Driver review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i3
A key point: Narrow tires mean unimpressive handling and braking. This is so far off Mini expectations!
The price of this little i3 is around $43K to $49K where is the value in this?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I would consider getting one if its around the Tesla Model 3 price range and offered a somewhat performance focus at that price but as you say BMW will most likely not go that route because although I think EV cars can be much much faster then regular engine models but companies will make more profit if they advert as if its saving the world unfortantely.

Any one know about that Mercedes SLS EV.... now thats what we need except MINI form.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:23 AM
osnapcoopertime
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smart car went all electric and more than half of all Smart dealerships stopped selling them in the US. Personally I dont want an electric car because is it like your phone? You are leaving the house and realized you forgot to charge the thing? So you are stuck waiting for the thing to charge?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:28 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No electric for me. 65% of my driving pleasure is a deep exhaust growl with pops and gurgles when you let off the loud pedal. (74 years young with 16 Mini S with JCW tuner exhaust.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
not my cup of tea but it appears to be the future

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM
MiniCooperMe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to get an electric MINI. I expect the range to be at least 250miles.

Hopefully, with the tax credit, MINI will be more affordable than a Leaf.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Back in 2003 I drove the T-zero, the car the Tesla founders were using to raise money. It was like driving a full size version of the slot cars I had as a kid, I didn't stop grinning for a week. A few years later I got a ride in an Ariel Atom with an electric powertrain, probably the closest I'll ever come to being in a car with F1 performance. Then I drove a friend's Tesla roadster. A few months ago I got to drive a Tesla Model S P90D, the owner set it to "Ludicrous" mode and I swear I hit Warp 9. There's no reason electric cars have to be boring or ugly. Tesla gets that. I'm waiting for the Tesla Model 3 production to get rolling and clear some of the backlog.

10 years ago I told my kids that in 20 years we would all be driving electric cars, I might have been a bit optimistic but it is the future and it is coming. Not just for environmental reasons, the simplicity, efficiency, and performance of an electric powertrain are compelling and will ultimately win over internal combustion engines. If you don't believe me about simplicity just stop by a Tesla showroom and have a look at the stripped down platform of battery, motor, and suspension they have on display. Then open the hood of your MINI or any other modern internal combustion car.

The internal combustion engine and automobiles have had over a century of evolution and optimization, it is amazing how far it has come but it is still essentially the same thing 100 years later. Similarly, the distribution infrastructure for hydrocarbon fuels (gasoline, diesel) has had over a century to develop. Give the electric infrastructure a decade and you'll be searching for a gas station instead of a charging station.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Back in 2003 I drove the T-zero, the car the Tesla founders were using to raise money. It was like driving a full size version of the slot cars I had as a kid, I didn't stop grinning for a week. A few years later I got a ride in an Ariel Atom with an electric powertrain, probably the closest I'll ever come to being in a car with F1 performance. Then I drove a friend's Tesla roadster. A few months ago I got to drive a Tesla Model S P90D, the owner set it to "Ludicrous" mode and I swear I hit Warp 9. There's no reason electric cars have to be boring or ugly. Tesla gets that. I'm waiting for the Tesla Model 3 production to get rolling and clear some of the backlog.

10 years ago I told my kids that in 20 years we would all be driving electric cars, I might have been a bit optimistic but it is the future and it is coming. Not just for environmental reasons, the simplicity, efficiency, and performance of an electric powertrain are compelling and will ultimately win over internal combustion engines. If you don't believe me about simplicity just stop by a Tesla showroom and have a look at the stripped down platform of battery, motor, and suspension they have on display. Then open the hood of your MINI or any other modern internal combustion car.

The internal combustion engine and automobiles have had over a century of evolution and optimization, it is amazing how far it has come but it is still essentially the same thing 100 years later. Similarly, the distribution infrastructure for hydrocarbon fuels (gasoline, diesel) has had over a century to develop. Give the electric infrastructure a decade and you'll be searching for a gas station instead of a charging station.
This makes so much sense to me. I agree that electric cars are where the future is going, but when it goes there, I will miss the rumble and purr of internal combustion engines. The noise is one of the reasons I love my MINI. I love when my husband comes home and I hear the rumble of his car pulling into the garage. I grew up at race tracks watching Indy Car and idolizing Shirley Muldowney at the drags. Cars are supposed to make noise.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 AM
Nightshift
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Earlier this year I bought an electric Fiat 500E fresh off west coast lease.
2015, 6,600 miles, E-Sport pkg, leather, sunroof, satellite and navigation. They're cutting deals on them; I've got $10K in this one shipped form the west coast.
The car is an absolute blast to drive; 150#'s instant torque, a full charge lasts me 4-5 days. Charge at home is 1.4 cents per mile; most the time I charge free at various charging stations.
I installed a 240V charging station, can charge in about 4 hours from a 6% battery.
Great little commuter.

Last edited by Nightshift; 10-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
BossHoss (07-21-2018)