General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an 'end all be all' coding tutorial thread around here?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there an 'end all be all' coding tutorial thread around here?

I've been looking into coding some features into my 2013 r56, and I am finding a lot of scattered info between different sites, and event threads in here. Is there an Ultimate How To thread I can follow, one thread with all the answers and steps? Or if not which link(s) would you recommend?

Also, should I be concerned about the dates of these threads? I would assume not since if it worked back then it should still work now, but I figure it's better to ask.

And while I have you here, I would like to ask if any of the following are possible with coding:

- Remove low fuel warning from kicking off MPH display in the tacho with a fuel icon. I see there's options to "lock speed to tach" but I think that's what my 2013 does anyways (as opposed to my older 2008).

- Enable the voice control button on the steering wheel. Not that I ever used it on my 2008, but apparently this was an option or something and the button on my 2013 does nothing.

- Efficient Dynamics shift indicator, where does this show/how does it look like? I have a manual.

- There's something labeled as "will enable DWA heartbeat warning light on tach (even if you don't have alarm hardware installed)". Does this mean the light bulb is always installed? And will it just do the heartbeat thing once I lock my car?

- Weather band radio, what is this?

- Also a hail mary, now that my stupid iPhone 7 doesn't have an Aux, is it possible to enable music streaming over bluetooth or via JUST the USB (without having that Y/X Connector)

I am using this for a guide, but I do notice it has some things missing like tilting passenger mirror down when going into reverse, so if anyone has a better list please share

Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The closest here is https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html
A true tutorial is here codinge90 but you'll have to modify (only slightly) for the MINI.

1 - Pretty sure that's possible
2 - voice control button is totally useless, even with coding
3 - it shows up on the Tach, literally just a number of the gear it wants you to be in. Say, you're in 1st gear. At such-and-such time (algorithm based on RPM, load, etc) it will show "▲2". Once you shift to two, it'l disappear. then so on, with 3rd thru 6th. When it wants you to downshift, it'll put a "▼" symbol next to the number of the gear it wants you shift to.
4 - not sure
5 - worthless :-p seriously, I think it enables a mode that's weather only, I never bothered with it.
6 - you can change the input available to digital-only and use an official Lightning cable to get your music in. I'd have to look this up but I had done it in my '12 with my 5S at the time, so I know it's possible. Can't do that now, but that's because I totally replaced my infotainment system.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Oh, and the tilting mirror down when going in to revers won't work because there is no interface to the mirrors from the ECU in the R5x series.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
The closest here is [URL="https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/205937-ncsexpert-for-beginners.html"]
6 - you can change the input available to digital-only and use an official Lightning cable to get your music in. I'd have to look this up but I had done it in my '12 with my 5S at the time, so I know it's possible. Can't do that now, but that's because I totally replaced my infotainment system.
When I plug it into the USB slot it **with the official cable that came with my phone**, under USB it shows up as 'IPOD' and when I try to select it I get some BS about having to use an "official cable". I also have this X cable splitter which I'm pretty sure is a BMW part that on one end is AUX & USB and the other is AUX & Lightning, when I try just using the USB and Lightning end I get the same message. Is there any way to do this or hack it? This is some real **** right here lol

Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
yeah I got that too. I do think there is a toggle in there but heck if I remember what... something about digital-only...

Old 04-14-2017, 04:29 PM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Ditto

Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
I've been looking into coding some features into my 2013 r56, and I am finding a lot of scattered info between different sites, and event threads in here. Is there an Ultimate How To thread I can follow, one thread with all the answers and steps? Or if not which link(s) would you recommend?

Also, should I be concerned about the dates of these threads? I would assume not since if it worked back then it should still work now, but I figure it's better to ask.

And while I have you here, I would like to ask if any of the following are possible with coding:

- Remove low fuel warning from kicking off MPH display in the tacho with a fuel icon. I see there's options to "lock speed to tach" but I think that's what my 2013 does anyways (as opposed to my older 2008).

- Enable the voice control button on the steering wheel. Not that I ever used it on my 2008, but apparently this was an option or something and the button on my 2013 does nothing.

- Efficient Dynamics shift indicator, where does this show/how does it look like? I have a manual.

- There's something labeled as "will enable DWA heartbeat warning light on tach (even if you don't have alarm hardware installed)". Does this mean the light bulb is always installed? And will it just do the heartbeat thing once I lock my car?

- Also a hail mary, now that my stupid iPhone 7 doesn't have an Aux, is it possible to enable music streaming over bluetooth or via JUST the USB (without having that Y/X Connector)

I am using this for a guide, but I do notice it has some things missing like tilting passenger mirror down when going into reverse, so if anyone has a better list please share
Yeah. What he said.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Efficient Dynamics

Although standard on my wife's X3, I'm pretty sure Efficient Dynamics is an option only on non-US MINIs.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal

The post linked above is probably your best bet. Keep in mind coding for your MINI and coding for newer MINIs is very different and there's some things you just can't do on yours. For example, having the mirror automatically dip down only works on the F56 with power fold mirrors.

I believe it's possible, but I've never tried

Coding won't help. It relies on hardware - either the voice control module <2013 or MINI Connected/Visual Boost

Not sure what you're referring to, but "Efficient Dynamics" is a BMW term and may not be applicable to MINIs

Again, coding won't help. There is still a difference in hardware. There was a long thread on it a while ago and a user found they needed to modify the tach

I've never gotten it to work. Weatherband is a radio band that just plays weather forecasts - usually used for emergency radios at home.

DEFINITELY possible. There is a parameter to change while coding that enables data AND audio to work via the USB port. Currently, iPod/iPhones use USB for data (you'll see what's playing/other info), but it uses an analog connection for audio, hence the need for a Y-cable. Coding will fix this so you just use a normal white Apple Lightning cable. Haven't tested it personally,
but many others have reported success.

Search this Thread