General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper crack repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 PM
ccfirelt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper crack repair

Hey folks. So I pulled the Mini up to a parking stop and when I backed away from it, it yanked my bumper and front fender flare off. The bumper was cracked in the process. The crack will fit perfectly back together but I don't know what to use to join it. If I can get it joined together right, it will be nearly invisible. I'd really prefer not to pay for a new one. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. By the way, this is my first post so if I'm posting in the wrong area, please feel free to relocate to a more appropriate place. 2011 base Cooper hardtop.

Attached Thumbnails Bumper crack repair-img_1775.jpg   Bumper crack repair-img_1776.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Check this link on a product called Plastex. It looks promising and may work for you. I've never used this product so please inform us of the results if you try it. It cost between $15-20 for the kit and comes in black, white and clear.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:30 AM
MichiganMike
1st Gear
Bondo Epoxy Bumper Repair

http://bondo.com/products/bondo-epox...e-kit-280.html

http://3mcollision.com/3m-automix-ez...kit-05895.html

I have no experience with these products, but there are many tutorials and instructional videos available on bumper repair. It may be better to provide a mesh patch or other support behind the pieces to be joined rather than try to just bond the crack.

http://www.gearheaddiva.com/4737/rep...ur-deductible/

Old 09-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Eastwood has the plastex kit for $30 (includes a how to DVD and their special 'modeling clay' to rebuild broken 'tabs' and such.

http://www.eastwood.com/rigid-plastic-repair-kits.html

a good body shop can 'weld' the plastic .... yes there is a way to weld plastic .... and there are 'hot staple' guns

I suspect you'll have more success if you take the bumper off to try any repair . . . so you can work from the back side

I learned something new!! I watched the video then went digging a little. Turns out this is basically baking soda and super glue ... if you put down some baking soda and then soak it with water thinned super glue the resulting 'glob' is hard as rock! So fill a crack with baking soda ... drip in the glue and TADA!!!!! I have bought 'thick super glue' for use on wood b4 (does not soak in like regular thin ACC does) and this would appear to achieve the same result.

Now what can I try this on?????? Hmmmmmm . . . bring it by and we'll give this a try!

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-26-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
bccan
2nd Gear
See if you can find a hot stapler within your financial pain threshold or take the bumper off & to a body shop to be stapled, might cost you a $50 bill. Then try mesh & catalyzed repair material to finish repair on back side of cover. It may go back together well enough to live with as there may only be a slight line if joint is good enough.

I would staple it, then weld mesh in, then use a catalyzed repair material like SEM Problem Plastic Repair. Exterior side cosmetics from there would be "to be determined."

If you brought that bumper (off the car) to a shop they might fix it & do a small area blend refinish for for appx 300 cash, 350 + tax on the books. Would cost more if they had to pull it or choose to refinish whole cover.

Last edited by bccan; 10-01-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Take the bumper cover off. Cover front of bumper with masking tape. Put super glue into crack and shake baking soda onto glue. Press together and cure with hair dryer. Remove scratches on front with toothpaste. Crazy but backyard bodyshop does work!

ISAMIN

Old 10-03-2015, 05:11 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by isamin
Take the bumper cover off. Cover front of bumper with masking tape. Put super glue into crack and shake baking soda onto glue. Press together and cure with hair dryer. Remove scratches on front with toothpaste. Crazy but backyard bodyshop does work!

ISAMIN
that's pretty much the Plastex repair! Watch the video tho as they make excellent points about 'prep' with regards to cleaning the wound area to get good bonding and opening up the crack for penetration. And I'd go to a good hobby shop and ask about the different grades of super glue they have, for this you want the stuff that flows very easily . . . IMO

Last edited by Capt_bj; 10-03-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 AM
r7denz
1st Gear
Just spend a little more and have it welded by a body shop.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
I was just kicking around my local parts store and with the body repair supplies was the fancy two part adhesive the body shops use to glue panels on and back together .... it was even labeled as a bumper repair kit.

Amazon.com: Bondo 280 Epoxy Bumper Repair Syringe Kit - 0.34 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Bondo 280 Epoxy Bumper Repair Syringe Kit - 0.34 fl. oz.: Automotive