General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a Mini from Europe to the US

Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 AM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing a Mini from Europe to the US

The EURO is very low at the moment, so I took a stab at configuring a Mini Countryman with a Diesel engine, AWD, Manual transmission , heated leather seats and a sunroof on mini.de.

The price INCLUDING 19% sales tax (which I think I would not have to pay), was about the same as in the US before sales tax.

Just that I can't get a manual diesel AWD in the US, so it got me thinking that paying a few grand to import may possibly be a good idea, and may end up cheaper or the same, but with much lower running costs due to the Diesel engine. I had a Diesel Beetle and it was awesome.

Has anyone tried to import one before, and how was your experience?

Things I'll have to look into: global warranty and what specs will need to be changed.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
They will let you through the military program import a US spec MINI from germany to the US, but a euro spec MINI in a Diesel.... good luck. I think first the MINI D is not regulated for emission in this country. So that's the first road block. Second it may not meet US safety standard because its not sold here. If you can get past those look for high import taxes and shipping. Then trying to get it licensed at the DMV.

Its easier to get a high end rare Euro car in the US ( gray market ) , then to get a Euro MINI into the US. Well unless your MINI corporate.

If anyone has had success like this , chime in.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would give my left leg to get a Diesel MINI...

Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a hold of the EPA and NHTSA for more info. They have everything you need for importing a car there. Good luck with the diesel because MINI didn't sell them in the US because it was going to cost too much for them to bring it up to US emission standards and that is word from the horse's mouth because there was one that was being trailered during MTTS 2012.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since the diesel is not certified for us emissions rules, you cannot get it into the US except as a demonstration car....6 months, then scrap it or export it...unless you wait 20 years or so....
Simply put...you cannot do what you want to do.....
To "Gray market" import a car, you must certify it meets all us rules, EMISSIONS, safety, etc if it is less than 20 (I think) years old....this has been done with some luxury cars...but at great risk, where some versions for meet us rules...
One tip...watch the video of homeland security crushing a classic MINI that was one year too new....its around...they did it at a press conference.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 PM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Thanks @ECSTuning. No military connection at all any more... So import fees, sales tax, etc. would apply of course.

@Porthos & ZippyNH, I am completely baffled by your replies. Not doubting them a bit, just baffled that a car that passes EU emissions standards (the Diesel are rated above the gas ones) would not pass US emission standards. I did not even consider this as a remote issue...

Will check out the sites and references. Thanks.

I'll go burry my crushed dreams now...

Last edited by LifeAfterBeetle; 09-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific

I may not have gone so far, but started calling up dealerships in Germany and shipping and import companies in my state. All in vain it seems now :(

Old 09-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yes, MINIUSA will not import them because the market is so low in the US for a diesel MINI that they don't want to spend the millions(yes 10s of millions) to get it through to meet American emissions. It stems around the urea injection that is required on AMerican diesels that is not required on European diesels. I got my information from MINIUSA reps on MTTS that were showing a Cooper D Clubman. Car I am speaking about on trailer at Charllotte Motor Speedway, summer 2012,
Name:  IMG_0388_zpsbnyz2zai.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  157.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0389_zpsnef0rrqh.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  106.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0390_zpsnja3ebzk.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  142.6 KB
I was unable to get a picture under the hood because they would not show anyone till later on the trip and I was not there when they allowed a few people to look.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
in general, when importing a vehicle, this is the form that covers the rules or maybe I should say 'exceptions' to the requirement that it complies with all US rules

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...hs799short.pdf

first exception is more than 25 years old ...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific

You are welcome,

" there was one that was being trailered during MTTS 2012. " Also there was a MINI D from Bosch in MTTS 2010, which I saw , the Clubvan D from MTTS 2012 was part of the Clubvan display , launch part. Pretty cool to see it. Nice boot.
" trailer at Charllotte Motor Speedway, summer 2012, " I was there tons of fun.

I think some MINI owners are just waiting for the day when they can get one.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 09-18-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 PM
MichiganMike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LifeAfterBeetle
]Not doubting them a bit, just baffled that a car that passes EU emissions standards (the Diesel are rated above the gas ones) would not pass US emission standards. :
"The Obama administration on Friday directed Volkswagen to recall nearly a half-million cars, saying the automaker illegally installed software in its diesel-power cars that was intentionally designed to circumvent environmental standards for reducing smog."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...ware.html?_r=0

As further evidence of how US emission standards may differ from European emission standards, the recall ordered of VW diesels is a good object lesson. US emission standards for nitrogen oxides are stricter than those in Europe. This is why urea treatment of exhaust is required to meet US standards. The burden is on the importer to satisfy US regulatory authorities that a car not certified as built to US specifications will meet US safety and emission standards. Good luck with that.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:54 AM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
"The Obama administration on Friday directed Volkswagen to recall nearly a half-million cars, saying the automaker illegally installed software in its diesel-power cars that was intentionally designed to circumvent environmental standards for reducing smog."

As further evidence of how US emission standards may differ from European emission standards, the recall ordered of VW diesels is a good object lesson. US emission standards for nitrogen oxides are stricter than those in Europe. This is why urea treatment of exhaust is required to meet US standards. The burden is on the importer to satisfy US regulatory authorities that a car not certified as built to US specifications will meet US safety and emission standards. Good luck with that.
I know, I saw the announcement yesterday and put the idea to rest. Very disappointing, I can't even believe VW would do something that krass!!! It is probably going to throw back consumer interest in diesel by decades here in the US :(

Old 09-19-2015, 04:57 AM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

" there was one that was being trailered during MTTS 2012. " Also there was a MINI D from Bosch in MTTS 2010, which I saw , the Clubvan D from MTTS 2012 was part of the Clubvan display , launch part. Pretty cool to see it. Nice boot.
" trailer at Charllotte Motor Speedway, summer 2012, " I was there tons of fun.
Is that a fridge in the trunk?!! Trying to figure out what I see in the pics.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:01 AM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
in general, when importing a vehicle, this is the form that covers the rules or maybe I should say 'exceptions' to the requirement that it complies with all US rules

Thanks, definitely good to have it on hand, though the idea of importing a diesel Mini has been put on hold for now, due to all of the above :(

I may try a gas one, will need to see if that's worth the effort though, which it would only be if there were any savings involved.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:18 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE

Not trying to argue with when I say this but, this article is dumb. The only reason it is dumb is because it says the "Obama Administration" as if the President himself had anything to do with this.

Your link just further shows though why it is going to be very difficult to get a MINI Diesel into the US.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about state law.

Unfortunately the Republic of California requires all vehicles built since 1975 pass emissions. So even that 26 year old classic Mini may not be importable into CA

Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dongood

Unfortunately the Republic of California requires all vehicles built since 1975 pass emissions. So even that 26 year old classic Mini may not be importable into CA
Even that NEW MINI made for euro use would need extra work...
Most euro cars still have ONE CAT..and they only got then in the last 15-20 years.....most every us car has a two..a precat, and a cat...and has had cats for 30+ years...
With emissions, the US is about 10 years ahead of euro rules..here we focused polutants that typically cause issues like acid rain and lung irriritation....euro rules focus almost exclusively on CO2.....their most recent "tier5 or euro5" emissions are very similar to non 50 state us rules from a decade ago before most states adopted CA rules....
Us military personnel who take delivery of cars overseas take delivery of us spec cars,delivered in a different location...so it is technically a US car, even registered in the US, a driven by a citizen with a US licence from the states they lived in and pay taxes to from from before they enlisted....
Warrenty issues have occurred though...MINI USA is a different corporate entity...they understand the process, but many folks have had to jump through hoops to get coverage...
Any imported car would be no warrenty, no support, and you would be responsible for recalls, etc...as the importer, YOU essientilly become the responsible manufacture for recalls and ensuring the car follows us rules and regulations.., just as mini USA is responsible for us cars....
Some very low production "supercars" kit cars, and antique cars have exception...a modern MINI meets none of those...a few BILLIONAIRES have reportedly spent ions of dollars to import individual cars into the US..things like toytoda Silvia , etc if you read car sites like jaloonick....

Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 AM
MichiganMike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Not trying to argue with when I say this but, this article is dumb. The only reason it is dumb is because it says the "Obama Administration" as if the President himself had anything to do with this.
Feel free to pursue your point with the NY Times. For what it is worth, the BBC news article on the same subject appears to be more accurately worded.

"German carmaker Volkswagen has been ordered by US regulators to recall half a million cars because of a device that disguises pollution levels."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34298259

Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM
MichiganMike
1st Gear
It is probably going to throw back consumer interest in diesel by decades here in the US :(
Others have speculated this may be a setback for diesels in the US not to mention compliance with recalls.

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...918-story.html

"The expected recall doesn't involve any danger to the consumer. But it may affect the performance of the car, a big selling point for diesels. That may make owners reluctant to make the fix at all."

"It's pretty ugly," said Kelley Blue Book analyst Karl Brauer. "Volkswagen has far outstripped everyone else in selling diesel cars. This challenges everything they've been saying about those vehicles."

"If I’m enjoying the mileage and the torque I’m getting, I might wonder whether this 'fix' will negatively impact my car’s performance," Brauer said. "I'm going to get to that right after I rearrange my sock drawer."

Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Feel free to pursue your point with the NY Times. For what it is worth, the BBC news article on the same subject appears to be more accurately worded.

"German carmaker Volkswagen has been ordered by US regulators to recall half a million cars because of a device that disguises pollution levels."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34298259
I emailed NY Times already. I was reading about the VW thing on Jalopnik yesterday. I guess I was just nitpicking. Thanks for the link to BBC they are way better.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dongood

The car can be "imported"

Getting a car registered is a different issue, state .. not federal .. and you are correct, in CA it is tough. In Florida if you bring a dead cow to DMV and pay the fee, you can have a title. (to begin, CA raises the stakes to 30 years to be considered a 'collectable')

For OP ... if you are REALLY serious it is POSSIBLE. There was a place in Florida importing SMART cars years before they became "US legal". They brought them in and did what US said had to be done and sold 'em for a stiff price. Knew a guy in VA than had one YEARS b4 they went on sale in the states (his had the Mercedes engine US didn't get). His wife thought it was cute and he had deep pockets. Same deal as what the Cruise character was doing in 'Rain Man' ... typically only done by folks with way too much money who want an otherwise 'not approved' exotic.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-21-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE

Getting a car registered is a different issue, state .. not federal .. and you are correct, in CA it is tough. In Florida if you bring a dead cow to DMV and pay the fee, you can have a title. (to begin, CA raises the stakes to 30 years to be considered a 'collectable')

For OP ... if you are REALLY serious it is POSSIBLE. There was a place in Florida importing SMART cars years before they became "US legal". They brought them in and did what US said had to be done and sold 'em for a stiff price. New a guy in VA than had one YEARS b4 they went on sale in the states (his had the Mercedes engine US didn't get). His wife thought it was cute and he had deep pockets. Same deal as what the Cruise character was doing in 'Rain Man' ... typically only done by folks with way too much money who want an otherwise 'not approved' exotic.
So true, I just bought a 1990 BMW 318i Touring that is RHD. Its cruising around Palm Bay/Melbourne.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:05 PM
LifeAfterBeetle
1st Gear

For OP ... if you are REALLY serious it is POSSIBLE. There was a place in Florida importing SMART cars years before they became "US legal". They brought them in and did what US said had to be done and sold 'em for a stiff price. New a guy in VA than had one YEARS b4 they went on sale in the states (his had the Mercedes engine US didn't get). His wife thought it was cute and he had deep pockets. Same deal as what the Cruise character was doing in 'Rain Man' ... typically only done by folks with way too much money who want an otherwise 'not approved' exotic.
Great info, thanks!
No deep pockets here... I wish.

... Saw 6 Countrymen in one small town (?) today! Wow.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Is that a fridge in the trunk?!! Trying to figure out what I see in the pics.

It was a custom inlay storage and fridge If I remember, i cant see the pics now, looks like the link is blocked.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
To Wit

So true, I just bought a 1990 BMW 318i Touring that is RHD. Its cruising around Palm Bay/Melbourne.

1990 + 25 = 2015 ..... see the form, check the first block .... move on

next question?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing a Mini from Europe to the US