General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Oil Chain Leads to Timing Chain Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 AM
weaver9000
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Oil Chain Leads to Timing Chain Failure?

1 month into owning my 2009 Mini S I took it in for an oil change at a local import repair shop. Yes, we work on Mini's we know them well was their reassurance. 1 day later the oil light comes on and I take it back. They replaced the oil filter citing a defective product.

A week or so later the oil light starts coming on when making moderate turns. I read forums and decide to add a pinch of oil. Oil light continues to come on during the turns. A week goes by and I hear the dreaded knocking. I knew what it was, as I read a good bit about Mini's before my purchase. I took it to the Mini Dealership. Timing chain, tensioner etc...along with virtually no oil. The oil filter gasket had been compromised causing an oil leak, which in turn reeked havoc on the timing chain.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the possibilities and probabilities of an oil change causing the gasket to fail and starting a domino effect of problems. So, I'm looking for input from anyone versed in Mini maintenance to set me straight. Am I crazy for thinking they're related though faulty service, or it's simply an unfortunate thing.

Thanks

Last edited by weaver9000; 09-11-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: last line reworded
Old 09-11-2015, 06:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
So they changed the oil filter / oil filter cap gasket with the oil change like normal and maybe split the cap gasket install, oil leaked out and they changed the oil filter gain only and still leaking ? Oil was ran low , you did not see an oil puddle or anything after the change ? I would go back to them and find out what they screwed up on, sounds like they cant do oil changes.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-11-2015, 04:23 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe you already know this but just in case.... MINI uses a oil filter insert that goes inside of a canister which is sealed with a "rubber" o-ring on the threaded cap.

The o-ring can be damaged if not placed onto the threaded cap correctly. If that happens then when the cap gets tightened it can tear the o-ring and cause a leak.

OEM filters include new o-rings.

Did you notice any oil leaks after the first change?

If you are trying to connect the dots, then yes it is plausible that a low oil condition can be a contributing factor in a timing chain failure. There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere on why low oil translates into low oil pressure which can impact the tensioners ability to apply pressure to the chain and hold it in place.

Do you have prior maintenance records for the car? Any history of having timing chain repair in the past?

The damage may have been done prior to you buying the car, but the oil change just added another straw onto the camels back.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:05 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First question is the MINI dealer going to fix the car? Second question, was the MINI dealer willing to replace the timing chain under the campaign?

Keep in mind that your car has the N14 engine...there have been lots of timing chain failures on cars with the N14 engine, and the MINI dealer knows this.

What to do about the import repair shop...I dunno.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
The damage may have been done prior to you buying the car, but the oil change just added another straw onto the camels back.
+1

Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm confused...
You "added a pinch of oil" cause??
The dipstick said it was already low? You thought adding more oil if the OIL PSI light would help?
As said above...
Sounds like the oil filter gasket was split...and your oil leaked out..ran low...and you ran out of oil...kinda a loss...think you are hosed to be honest...check with the import shop...sounds like an oilchange gone wrong...it happens, shops have insurance...don't expect more than a similar mile used motor back in a best case....

Old 09-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to say, but chances are the timing chain was probably on its way out already. This just exacerbated the issue. That, however, doesn't mean there isn't a recourse for the oil mishap caused by the independant shop. I would inquire with the shops owner/manager and make sure they are aware of the situation. They should at least pay for a portion of the repair, or perform the repair itself. Show them documentation and they will have less of a chance to deny you any sort of resolution.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:02 AM
weaver9000
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. Timing chain definitely could have been worn when I purchased beginning of June, though it made no noise until 2 weeks after oil change. My main cause of concern with the shop that changed the oil is having to return it the next day when the oil light came on and they blamed it on a defective filter. I suspect the didn't replace the filter correctly.

ZippyNH, I added some oil after reading about the oil light coming on for others during hard turns. It seemed to solve their problems. After checking and rechecking the oil, it was really difficult (for me) to determine the true level, and all accounts warn to never overfill.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Check oil level and see why the filter was changed. You dont want to leak run low on oil and hurt the engine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by weaver9000
After checking and rechecking the oil, it was really difficult (for me) to determine the true level, and all accounts warn to never overfill.
That's because the stock dipstick is junk (my opinion).

Old 09-14-2015, 05:48 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yep, lots of threads about the stock dipstick. I tried all the usual tricks (roll on a paper towel, etc). Finally bit the bullet and bought the cravenspeed dipstick.