General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip

Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Grovedale
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip

One the guys at work did the grill on his car, so it looked really easy and it was. I did the grill surround, headlight, and taillight trim. Total cost $6.12 Considering the gas cap and door handles, still undecided.

Name:  IMG_1108_zps0663e2ee.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  167.3 KB

Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the beauty.. Just peel it off if you decide it's not for you!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 PM
ColaTownMini
2nd Gear
I like me some chrome... but that's pretty sweet!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Blueberry03MC
2nd Gear
I like what you did to the car with the plasti dip....I would keep the door handles and gas cap chrome

Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We keep the Plasti Dip in stock, but it's hard as I always find stuff I want to dip. Your MINI looks good.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just red plastidipped my colorline. It looks pretty good but I have to redo the passenger side.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to attach a photo from my iPhone.

Attached Thumbnails A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip-image-3767386855.jpg   A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip-image-3481055069.jpg   A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip-image-4140935897.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Of course it said there was an error, but it attached the photo 3 times. Not in love with this mobile app. Sorry

Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Grovedale
2nd Gear
Thanks for the kind words, you can get great results with very little skill.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LarriB
I just red plastidipped my colorline. It looks pretty good but I have to redo the passenger side.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to attach a photo from my iPhone.
Looks great. How is that applied? Do you need to remove the trim or does it remain in place for application? Is it spray or a dip. Can you customize the color to Chili Red or is it their base red?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
there's tons of info on plasti-dip out there. You can custom color, but I think its not quite as easy as buying the spray paint cans (but worth it if you are doing a large area- then you buy a gallon, thin it, and use a paint sprayer). I just started experimenting with it myself. The stuff is pretty amazing, and if I can do it, anyone can!

I am thinking about dipping the colorline in mine too - currently it is the checkerboard, which I'm not in love with. I either want to do it solid flat-black, or pepper-white like the car. So LarryB, did you remove it? If for no other reason to avoid some of the overspray on the porous bits?

I learned a lot from dipyourcar

oh, and LarryB, yea, the app is terrible. But I've found that when it gives me the errors, just hit cancel and it is still successful. Works the same with just making a post (it ALWAYS says it is a duplicate post, but isn't)

Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Here is a tip I learned last year while Plasti-dipping everything that made sense and some things that didn't. Make sure your cans of Plasti-Dip are not cold, this is especially important as we head into winter. Soak the can in a sink of warm water for 10 minutes before you spray. If the can is cold when you apply the product it will appear textured and blotchy. Warm (or not cold) cans will produce a smooth satin finish.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Swimbaxter
Here is a tip I learned last year while Plasti-dipping everything that made sense and some things that didn't. Make sure your cans of Plasti-Dip are not cold, this is especially important as we head into winter. Soak the can in a sink of warm water for 10 minutes before you spray. If the can is cold when you apply the product it will appear textured and blotchy. Warm (or not cold) cans will produce a smooth satin finish.
the one thing I did dip so far IS slightly textured. But I don't mind it where it is. But other parts of the car I definitely want a smoother texture. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I am toying with the idea of dipping the front bake ducts Red or attemping to blend it ChiliRed.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Dipping the calipers would look fantastic. Not sure im brave enough to mess with the brakes though. Nor do i have time to remove the wheels to do it all properly. I would rather drop my car off and pay someone to do it haha

Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
I removed the color line in order to Plastidip it the standard red color. I always get some kind of texture when I do this - it never is really smooth. The color line is below the curved checkboard portions of the dashboard. I would not personally plastic dip the curved checkerboard because I don't get a very smooth glossy finish out of this. I think it works fine on the colorline because that is already textured. However I have a hard plastic colorline. I have seen many MINIs that have a soft plastic colorline, and I don't know how plastidip would work on this.

As to doing the brake calipers, I don't think I would do that. Brake calipers get hot and plastic dip is not meant to get hot. Any Autozone will have a brake caliper paint. I suspect the brake ducts would be fine.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
In order to get a consistently smooth finish with PD you should first warm up the can in a jar of warm water. Do this for at least 5 minutes. Then shake the **** out of the can. At least a full minute. The 3rd and most important detail to get a smooth finish is lay the first two coats light to build a base for the last 3 coats. Those coats should be wet and heavy. Almost to the point where it would run, in overlapping patterns. Cross the last path by 50%. Allow 15 minutes between layers. Stop at coat 5. Always try and keep the can 6" away from the work and try to keep the spray at 90 degrees to the work surface. Keeps the overspray down..

Best of luck. PD is some amazing stuff and had gotten a bad wrap for a long time. Thats slowly changing.. Any questions PM me or email me john@dipfanatic.com

Old 09-25-2013, 04:36 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TJANK
Thanks for the tips. I am toying with the idea of dipping the front bake ducts Red or attemping to blend it ChiliRed.
A base coat of white will make the red pop more, but it will be lighter. Mounted on the car is a base (2 coats) of white. Unmounted to the car, next to the car is a base of black (2 coasts).

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  75.9 KB

Here you can see the two choices (I did 2 wheels of each to decide what I liked better and never changed it. Driver's side is the brighter red (white under) and Passenger's side is the base of black. The one unmounted on the DS looks a little pick from the bright sun and my crappy iphone camera.

Name:  013-1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  110.7 KB
Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  78.4 KB
Name:  012.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.1 KB

Last edited by yetti96; 09-25-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Craig Curtis
Dipping the calipers would look fantastic. Not sure im brave enough to mess with the brakes though. Nor do i have time to remove the wheels to do it all properly. I would rather drop my car off and pay someone to do it haha
While PD can take more heat than most people think, I would not put it on brake calipers, instead use a brake specific paint meant for the abuse. I have done my exhaust tips with no issue, but melting or flames on my brakes would not be cool (not sure how PD does above 312F).

http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2012/0...dip-tech-tips/

Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
A tip for using plastidip:

If you are having a hard time getting the old stuff off, spray some WD-40 on it and let it sit for a few minutes...You can basically wipe the plasti-dip off after. It gets so soft you can draw in it with your fingernail.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LarriB
I removed the color line in order to Plastidip it the standard red color. I always get some kind of texture when I do this - it never is really smooth. The color line is below the curved checkboard portions of the dashboard. I would not personally plastic dip the curved checkerboard because I don't get a very smooth glossy finish out of this. I think it works fine on the colorline because that is already textured. However I have a hard plastic colorline. I have seen many MINIs that have a soft plastic colorline, and I don't know how plastidip would work on this.

As to doing the brake calipers, I don't think I would do that. Brake calipers get hot and plastic dip is not meant to get hot. Any Autozone will have a brake caliper paint. I suspect the brake ducts would be fine.
I thought the colorline was the checkerboard. oops. Anyway, mine has a softer colorline. From what I've seen, it might not be a good idea to use plasti dip on this (too porous?). But a little texture on the checkerboard part would not bother me

and @yetti - wheels look cool. I think I like the white basecoat a little better, IMHO...

Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
PD will hold up on calipers. It's been done a lot on the dipyourcar forums. I prefer the G2 paint kit.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Grovedale,
Take the time and do your badges next. It's just as easy..

Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Craig Curtis

I thought the colorline was the checkerboard. oops. Anyway, mine has a softer colorline. From what I've seen, it might not be a good idea to use plasti dip on this (too porous?). But a little texture on the checkerboard part would not bother me

and @yetti - wheels look cool. I think I like the white basecoat a little better, IMHO...
I don't think the soft color line is porous so I think Plastidip would work.

2010 R57S Chili Red w/ Blackout

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALL4TURBO
PD will hold up on calipers. It's been done a lot on the dipyourcar forums. I prefer the G2 paint kit.
You are pretty much the biggest user of PD on here, but man the way I get heat into my brakes...I would be hesitant to give it a try.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
"Wet and Heavy" - now you tell me!

I did five coats of my OE Holeys (? forgotten how to spell them - have not been here for ages!) wheels (blackout project).

First coat light 50% coverage (as per dipmycar) - and dipmycar never said "wet and heavy"!!!

so thanks for saying it.

result is I just used 1.5 cans for 4 wheels - so despite 5 coats quite a light (so easily scratchable) coat of paint.

so far looks fine - but will probably have to redo (am in MA so will wait until spring as I do not have a garage).

Originally Posted by ALL4TURBO
In order to get a consistently smooth finish with PD you should first warm up the can in a jar of warm water. Do this for at least 5 minutes. Then shake the **** out of the can. At least a full minute. The 3rd and most important detail to get a smooth finish is lay the first two coats light to build a base for the last 3 coats. Those coats should be wet and heavy. Almost to the point where it would run, in overlapping patterns. Cross the last path by 50%. Allow 15 minutes between layers. Stop at coat 5. Always try and keep the can 6" away from the work and try to keep the spray at 90 degrees to the work surface. Keeps the overspray down..

Best of luck. PD is some amazing stuff and had gotten a bad wrap for a long time. Thats slowly changing.. Any questions PM me or email me john@dipfanatic.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A turn toward the dark side of Plastidip