General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new MINI sportscar? Yeah or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Concept cars are curious creatures. They tend to point toward the future, toward the “what could be,” while at the same time trying to connect with the past and present. Or at least that is what they’re supposed to do.
That’s not so much the case with the MINI Boost concept.
Looking a lot like a cross between a puffed-out Lotus Exige and an Alfa Rome 4C, the MINI Boost concept is the brainchild of German designer Liviu Tudoran. But rather than harken back to anything that remotely looks like a Mini, Tudoran runs away with this one … far, far away.
In fact, the only thing remotely Mini-like is the good-ol Union Jack painted on the top.
Up front we see similar fingernail headlamps, reminiscent of Jaguar’s E-Type. A large radiator maw also houses two fog lamps.
To the side, blacked-out panels run up and down the door, which swallow the front haunches’ accent line. Both the front and rear haunches look extra wide, lending a more aggressive and athletic look to the Boost. And let’s not forget those scissor doors, which would be a first for Mini.
Around back, we find a staggered rear fascia with what appears to be hollowed-out tail lamps lined with LEDs, and a single, four-sided exhaust pipe.
But it’s the interior that’s really a trip. Both the steering wheel and speedometer are physically connected. The speedo sits inside a “cocoon” and is designed to turn with the steering wheel. But get this: the steering wheel is designed to rotate around a second axis. There’s the normal left to right movement we all know and love, but Tudoran has incorporated an up and down rotation as well.
According to notes written by Tudoran on the cabin pics, the added up and down movement would increase responsiveness. Whether that’s the case or not and just how it would work is not clear, I’ll just have to take his word for it.
In addition to a futuristic steering wheel and instrument cluster combo, the MINI Boost concept also sports a nifty HUD display. There’s also a neat adaptation of the large central circular display found on all modern MINIs, which I suppose adds another connection to modern MINI, albeit a very minor one.
There was no detail on might power the Boost, if it’s a hybrid or what.
Now, I’m not saying I don’t like the Boost concept; it’s got the look to get my motor running. It just looks nothing like any MINI that’s come before.
As a concept, that doesn’t fly with me. But if MINI were ever to consider producing the thing, I can’t say I’d object to a lightweight, Lotus-like roadster with big fat wheels and the sharp visuals you see here.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also in love with the Lotus brand, mostly their Evora so a MINI that would be lightweight and hug the road like an Evora or Exige would be awesome. I like the look, although a picture of the front would be nice to see. Do away with the union jack and make the primary color of the car a metallic orange with grey accents and i'd sign up for one right this second!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't care for it, myself. But this is just a "concept" sketch; actual cars tend to be somewhat less extreme. Often the changes made to make a production auto from a concept are changes for the better, sometimes they're not.

I'd have to see it in the metal to really know. But from those sketches, I wouldn't buy one.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Chickenhawk777
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like someone left the doggie door open and a Lotus Exige got with an Audi TT. From what I can see I kinda like it.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it comes in a ragtop i am all for it :P and i love the HUD...miss that from my Bonnie.

ps....i see a 50's vette and jag inspiration

Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Great looking concept.......not for me.....I NEED a hot hatch.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM
mrathburn
2nd Gear
Don't care for the futuristic look of any of the new concepts. I like the idea of this, but I think they should stick closer to the modern styling that doesnt look like it's from another century. Make it more...MINI. Does look like a decent concept though.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
my 2 cents: It doesn't have enough MINI brand language to be though of as a MINI (and I'm not talking about traditional vs. modern). Putting a English jack flag on it isn't enough of a trick. And the front side panel is an effect of the current body split. It's not a brand language element.
Aside from that it's alright. Nothing terribly innovative though.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator

Yeah.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Joshua_090
2nd Gear
I think there could be some arguments between BMW and MG on this design.

http://www.luxuriousmagazine.com/201...n-concept-car/

Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does Tudoran work for MINI?
There is a very strong resemblance to the Williams-Kenny design, in any event.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the design in the 3d renderings. Not very MINI, but I do see some subtle styling queues there. If they made it, it was close in design to the concept renderings, was RWD and drove as good as it looks I'd give it some serious consideration.

Last edited by grueinthebox; 08-23-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Getting a MINI with RWD is unlikely. It would be too expensive to develop for such a limited market. The only way this car would be viable for MINI would be if they could share parts/platforms with existing models. A FWD two-seat sports car is unique enough, and MINI is good enough at making great FWD handlers, that it wouldn't be a huge negative. They might even be able to shoe-horn the Countryman's AWD system in there. How 'bout that for a badass weekend rally car?