General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M7 TUNING Owner drops F-BOMB on paying customer over front splitter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Gonzodagreek
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a sad, sad state of affairs and utter disappointment that all Mini owners should take warning of if considering purchasing any products from M7 Tuning.

My story will stay on point regarding a specific incident of customer abuse and will be supplemented with a separate post covering specific problems regarding lack of fitment of the M7 Tuning – 2007+ JCW Front Aero Splitter.

The story goes as follows. I purchased the “2007+” JCW Front Aero Splitter for my 2013 JCW. You should know the web page states in various locations that it will fit all JCW models, “2007+”. Well, it doesn’t. But this post is not about that, but rather the appalling treatment I got from Mark Catania, Owner of M7 Tuning and Founder of The Myteebrite Group which now owns M7 Tuning.

I first attempted to contact their technical department using the tech. dept. email, but never received a reply. I then called and left a voice message at their main phone number but never received a reply. I later emailed Mark Catania (Owner) directly stating my dissatisfaction regarding the lack of response to my inquiry and request for help. While this last futile attempt at reaching somebody in the company floated around unanswered, who knows where, I proceeded to struggle through a painful, albeit self-inventive, installation just to get the splitter installed.

Afterwards, I did finally receive an email that I was copied on which originated from Mr. Catania (Owner) and sent to Mr. Regis Finn (Chief Marketing Officer & Customer Relations), instructing Mr. Finn to contact me immediately and “do whatever is necessary to turn this [situation] around”.

I then receive a second email directly from Mr. Finn now asking me to call him long distance to discuss the situation, which I did. I actually had a very pleasant discussion with Mr. Finn who was extremely apologetic about the lack of response and unanswered attempts and plea for help.

Throughout our conversation he kept assuring me that M7 wanted to “make sure I went away happy after this experience and would do whatever it took to make things right”. I was even asked, “what do you want to make this right”. I found that a bit awkward for I only wanted to make things right for them by bringing this to their attention and hopefully see them make corrections to either their product or advertisement so other Mini Owners wouldn’t experience the same frustration and dissatisfaction. But, still, the gentlemen insisted that I tell him what it would take to make thing rights, so I threw out a suggestion that perhaps they could comp me another part from their catalog and I would photo document that installation to see if there were similar issues and fitment problems on the 2013 JCW. Feeling that might have been a bit of a stretch I also floated the idea they perhaps they could simply just refund me the initial cost of the ill-gotten splitter. The conversation ended with Mr. Finn stating he thought that was a reasonable and completely fair request, and that he would get back to me in a week or two. He stated he would greatly appreciate whatever more information I could provide him so that he could share it with his technical/product development team and company Owner. So I prepared a thorough letter and sent it to them.

In short, I sent them my completely annotated photo documentation of the completed installation, provided a written explanation pointing out the mis-information in their instructions, and even included drawing sketches detailing how to “fix” the problem in order to get the splitter installed on a newer JCW model.

From this point forward is where things went off the deep end. After receiving my letter, photos, and sketches, Mr. Finn basically strung me along implying they would review the information and get back to me (on “how they would make things right”).

After a couple of soft, follow-up emails from me to find out what they had concluded is when I received an email from Mark Catania (M7 Tuning, Owner) intended only for Mr. Finn, but instead accidently included my email address in the cc column.

In short, he tells his Mr. Finn to “tell the fool with the splitter to F--- Off”. That’s right, a complete 180 degree turn around for no reason at all, coupled with an insult and personal attach, crescendo-ing into the Owner of the company telling a paying customer to F-- off!!

Clearly somebody else here is the “fool” for having failed to erase my name from the reply bar. Even more so, he is the person that now has told the whole world of Mini Owner’s what M7 Tuning and The Myteebrite Group thinks and feels of its paying customers, regardless if it is us trying to help them with feedback on their products and business development. Seems the company should be renamed to “Mytee-stupid” and “M7 Buffooning”.

I can tell you this much, from this point on, my money will be spent with more deserving and respectful manufactures.

See my forthcoming post in PRODUCT FEEDBACK which will detail all the various problems with the M7 Tuning - Front Aero Splitter and why it does not fit newer JCW models. It primarily will be what you read in the above letter, supplemented with additional detailed notes, photos and sketches.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Considering all the issues the new m7 owners have had due to their lack of MINI knowledge I don't find it surprising....
It is a shame that this thread might be frozen or deleted since they are a vendor....

Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you upload a screen shot if this email?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad to see this is the state of things...

Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Sad to see this is the state of things...
Sorry to read about your misfortune!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ouch. A friend of mine got his M7 rear diffuser resolved (well I hope it gets resolved when it's installed this week). Sorry to hear about your situation...

Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Sorry to read about your misfortune!
Not my misfortune...

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Gonzodagreek
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mcameron
Could you upload a screen shot if this email?

I initially tried to include all emails and letters as attachments in the post, but was denied by the Administrators because it did not comply with the regulations of the forum. I respect them for having brought that to my attention and agree to comply by removing the links. I wanted everybody to see the actual emails so it would be known that I wasn't exaggerating, embellishing or lying. I trust you will all know I speak the truth.

I respect the NAM forum and the opportunity they provide me to share my experience and opinion. I would be very disappointed if this thread was removed simply because it "calls out a vendor". After all, the very purpose of such a public forum is to share information both good and bad with each other so we can all benefit form others experiences. I have complied with the rules of this forum and have very lightly expressed my true fealings about the whole situation.

I will endeavor to get another post started with the actual photos, notes and sketches showing why the M7 Tuning brand - Front Aero Splitter DOES NOT work with newer model JCW's.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The M7 front splitter can be made to work with a 2013 JCW. It takes a lot of work and in the end it needs to be wider to match the flare of the newer front end. It's the right width for the 2007 that does not have the flare we have. I purchased from the old owner (very nice person).

Name:  null-13.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  null-4.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  null-5.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  121.2 KB

Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Doesn't look too good even though you got it to work. Definitely would have looked better if it reached to the ends...

Old 08-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Gonzodagreek
Neutral
[QUOTE=jkapinos;3786114]The M7 front splitter can be made to work with a 2013 JCW. It takes a lot of work and in the end it needs to be wider to match the flare of the newer front end.

How did you reinstall the 3 anchors that attached the bumper, from the underside, up into the 1" X 1" sq. arched tube? Once the splitter is installed these are no longer accessible.

Did you close off the large remaining gap at the back of the splitter, which leaks pressurized air off the back, rear of the splitter, thereby rendering it far less affective for applying down-force?

There's more of these un-answered questions I will include in a new thread once I get back from vacation in a week.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Doesn't look too good even though you got it to work. Definitely would have looked better if it reached to the ends...
True. But the function is there. My stock run flats would tramline like crazy. But after the install there is no tramline at all. I'm more about how it handles then how it looks. But if they ever sell this part at the wider size I would buy it. I have all the work to install done. It is held on by nutserts installed installed in the front crash frame. It also makes the front clip an easy on and off, as its held on by stainless button head bolts.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:00 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
[QUOTE=Gonzodagreek;3786126]
Originally Posted by jkapinos
The M7 front splitter can be made to work with a 2013 JCW. It takes a lot of work and in the end it needs to be wider to match the flare of the newer front end.

How did you reinstall the 3 anchors that attached the bumper, from the underside, up into the 1" X 1" sq. arched tube? Once the splitter is installed these are no longer accessible.

Did you close off the large remaining gap at the back of the splitter, which leaks pressurized air off the back, rear of the splitter, thereby rendering it far less affective for applying down-force?

There's more of these un-answered questions I will include in a new thread once I get back from vacation in a week.

I have nutserts in the crash frame and the plastic frame under the intercooler. There are seven in the front and three in the back. They bolt to the frame and are strong. The other bolts just have nuts and washers on the backside. All the hardware is stainless. Again if this splitter was wider it would be so much better. I used aluminum and plastic to mock up all my bolts, then transferred them to the splitter. Also you want the air to flow under the car. I used rubber washers and rubber plugs in the rear three holes. Also have the front GP2 belly pan, side panels and rear diffuser. It all works great when finished. One other thing is all the rubber washers and spacers allow the splitter to be adjusted so its Parallel to the ground.

Name:  null-19.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  null-20.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  140.4 KB

Last edited by jkapinos; 08-04-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Also have there ultimate grill. It as well takes a good amount of work to fit.

Name:  null-21.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  217.2 KB

Old 08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Nice. Been contemplating adding this lip, but knowing my apt driveway would destroy this in a week, it doesn't make sense for me to add it. hopefully your guide will help OP to make it work.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 AM
M7Tuning
Former Vendor
This is Regis from M7 Tuning. Since Gonzodagreek took this public I think its only fair I respond in public, something I usually would never do.
We made a mistake and an email that was not meant for Gonzodagreek unfortunately was sent to him. I make no excuses for what happened. I also apologize.
This is not the typical way we treat a M7 Tuning customer. Everyone has a bad day every now and then, such is the case here.
Gonzodagreek was kind enough to send detailed pictures and info on the problem he experienced. We were in the process of verifying if the problem was with the car, the person that installed it or with us when Gonzodagreek contacted us after a 4 week delay.
I immediately contacted Gonzodagreek as soon as I found out the email was sent, even before he ever opened it. I reached out and called Gonzodagreek, and tried to work out a solution with Gonzodagreek. He demanded that we completely reimburse him for the cost of his already-installed splitter. He also said that in addition he wants a free set of M7 lower springs. He said this was "just the start". We made a mistake but we are not going to be blackmailed into providing free parts and more. Name calling will not work either Gonzodagreek.

Again, I extend my apologies on behalf of M7 Tuning to Gonzodagreek and I can only hope that his public trashing of M7 Tuning, whether right or wrong, goes towards making him feel better about this.
Thank you, Regis

Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 AM
daflake
6th Gear

I am curious Gonzo, but if the splitter didn't fit, why did you install it? You could have just sent it back and asked for a refund. If you tried to make it work, you are certainly on your own at that point.

Last edited by daflake; 08-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems to me M7 should at least refund the money and use his returned part to find out what is wrong. Would be the right thing to do.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Seems to me M7 should at least refund the money and use his returned part to find out what is wrong. Would be the right thing to do.
something tells me they would have, had he returned the part.

from the sounds of it, Gonzo realized the part didnt fit, made the part fit anyways, then emailed the company complaining, and tried to bully free stuff out of them.

if he decided to keep the splitter, why should the company give him his money back?

as far as im concerned, the most i would EXPECT out of a company in this situation would be to pay for return shipping and refund my money.......not allow me to keep the merch. give me my money back, and then give me free stuff on top of it.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mcameron

as far as im concerned, the most i would EXPECT out of a company in this situation would be to pay for return shipping and refund my money.......not allow me to keep the merch. give me my money back, and then give me free stuff on top of it.
Exactly, I am wondering if there wasn't a bit of self entitlement here. That being said, If he bought it under the impression that it would fit and then paid a shop to put it on, I would think that M7 should pay for shipping and any fee that was incurred PROVIDED the part is returned to them in pristine condition.

Either way, I think that M7 needs to update their site to ensure that nobody else buys it thinking it will fit the 2013 model. The site still says that it will and the chart has not been updated since 2011.

http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=105

Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I've found that with all the confusing variations of Mini's is to quickly verify with a phone call or email that the part will fit. Websites are not so accurate sometimes.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I've found that with all the confusing variations of Mini's is to quickly verify with a phone call or email that the part will fit. Websites are not so accurate sometimes.
And what if that phone call ended with the same result w/ someone on the other line saying, emphatically, "yes it will fit" only to find out that it doesn't?

I an sure M7, which transition from SoCal to a new company back East, thought that a 2nd gen is a 2nd gen and didn't bother to test fit knowing little that the LCI front changed enough to throw off their splitter design...

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Lci?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Your right, the person on the phone could still give you wrong info but if you call/email for verification then returning the part becomes less problematic.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Lci?
BMW speak for changes made to refresh a model usually halfway through its lifespan. Usually visual tweaks to the front or rear of the car.

Commonly referred to as a LCI (Life Cycle Impulse.)

Quick Reply: M7 TUNING Owner drops F-BOMB on paying customer over front splitter!!!