General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!

First of all id like to say hello. Im new to NAM. I have an 08 R56 with automatic, AEM intake, 2 1/2" down pipe with a hi-flow cat, second cat deleted, resonator still installed, boost tube muffler delete pipe, and a stepped intercooler (not a helix or wagner but its the exact same dimensions).Made a custom shroud to funnel the air thru he new cooler.The car has a new MAF, Vanos actuator solenoid and vanos actuator. It has passed the smoke test, carbon test and pressure test. Still have the receipt from baltimore mini.The problem is... when i go down the interstate about 15-20 minutes if i touch the throttle to pass a car and the car doesnt kick down but just starts to build boost the car will put the yellow engine on the tach and it goes into limp mode. pull over... clear the code... by the way, theres never a code stored, Take off easy, within 1/4 mile, back to limp mode. Just had a tune and it didnt act like this before the tune. I can say that with all the new parts like the MAF and VANOS parts the intake temps went from and average of 103-115 to average of around 85-93. Step on the throttle and within 5 seconds the car goes into limp mode. cat temps use to be 1200-1700. The engine coolant temp is consistantly 210-223. Is this normal for a factory thermostat? After vanos repairs its still the same. Except now it pulls 5th gear out the back door. Could definately pull better in 6th gear tho. This is accomplished before what i think something is getting effected by being heat soaked. This car just turned 161,000 miles and the intake is extremely clean. Got photos of inside the engine and the throttle body.
WHAT IN THE HECK IS GOING ON !?!? PLEASE GIVE ME A DIRECTION TO GO TO NEXT. IM LOST. Except for taking to a shop that i just found yesterday that can reset the computer to factory. I definately wont have anything good to say about the tuner if thats what i gotta do. I will not say who tuned the car. So dont ask, If its not cured....THEN I WILL
The tune was 500 at a shop with no flash tool and i dont have the ability to go back to factory. Also the program is encrypted so i cant have another shop fix it. Called weeks before it was 775 with the flash tool and 3 tunes and i could put it back to factory if i chose. I was garunteed not to have issues with this tune.

Last edited by SPRINTCARS; 06-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a crap tune.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Go back to a stock tune, see if that means the problems stop.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
i got one more thing to do then,im calling him to work this out if it doesnt work. i dont wanna cry wolf just yet to give to tuner the benefit of the doubt. unfortunately he is well known and highly regarded. thats why im trying everything i can. alittle more support would be nice from him tho.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
i got one more thing to do then,im calling him to work this out if it doesnt work. i dont wanna cry wolf just yet to give to tuner the benefit of the doubt. unfortunately he is well known and highly regarded. thats why im trying everything i can. alittle more support would be nice from him tho.
Sounds like someone we all know on this forum and other forums. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ColinGreene
Go back to a stock tune, see if that means the problems stop.
Can't Didn't get a flash tool. Even after I asked. I'll get thru it. Hopefully he will do what's right and work withe on this matter

Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
just went for a ride and for the first time i stayed out of the boost....COMPLETELY !
drove around town, then went on the interstate. Held the speed between 65-70. Never got in boost. Went into limp mode again about 15 miles up the road. im posting these hings so other people who experience the same issues can et a grip on there cars faster than i am since the two people in co-hoots keep saying "i dont know ". must not like people who are smart enough to do there own work and dont give them an open check book to say here ya go... have at it, make me faster

Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not sure why you would get a tune....but not the tool to switch tunes...
First step is ALWAYS revert to factory tune...and see if the issue persists.... It is always much easier to trouble shoot an engine issue with the stock tune.....
My only suggestion to the op....check for excessive blow-by..... Quite a few gen2 cars did have piston failures In the skirt area from overally aggressive tunes.....and tuning a motor with lots of miles....might be asking too much from fatigued parts....
Good luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
First step is ALWAYS revert to factory tune...and see if the issue persists.... It is always much easier to trouble shoot an engine issue with the stock tune.....
My only suggestion to the op....check for excessive blow-by..... Quite a few gen2 cars did have piston failures In the skirt area from overally aggressive tunes.....and tuning a motor with lots of miles....might be asking too much from fatigued parts....
Good luck.
I've only seen people with 19+ boost on stock engines with issues. If a 2nd gen S or JCW runs 16-17lbs of boost, they'll be fine. Point example, check the N18 guy with a clubman S, he blew his motor with 20lbs of boost.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Good luck.
Issue isnt there with a factory tune. From experience working in the engine building business with dirt track and an auto repair shop since i was 11 yrs old.... i know when a piston fails and what blow bye does to spark plugs. I just change the intake cam with the VANOS actuator on it and made my own tools to align the crank and cams. I totally understan your point. My point is this guy didnt think i would figure out what was wrong since the impression he got about me was i appeared to be clueless. What he didnt account for was my nephew's experience with computers and his best friend knowing how to write programs for these cars. We've already figured out its the tune. I sincerely appreciate the in put about skirt failures thO. Thank you very much for the additional knowledge. The way i drove at times....since the tune 3 weeks ago... it would have totally let lose by now. especially when i was at 5200 in 6th gear.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get them to fix it or get your money back at least

Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I've only seen people with 19+ boost on stock engines with issues. If a 2nd gen S or JCW runs 16-17lbs of boost, they'll be fine. Point example, check the N18 guy with a clubman S, he blew his motor with 20lbs of boost.
I agree rob. This car is only at 13-14 and its the first time it's ever had a tune. All maintenance has been done like clock work according to mfgr. Recommendation. Oil every 3000 using Mobil 1 only. I've been taking pictures of the inside as I've be working on it lately during the goose chase he has me on. When I have all parts/options of repairs done, I will post them all. It's pretty darn clean for the miles.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by <05MINI>
Did you get them to fix it or get your money back at least
No 05' I didn't. And that's my real issue here. It's the business end that irritates me. And I'm going to be a thorn in his side. This community, tho it is quite large, it's car specific so in the big picture it's rather small. Why should we stand for this type of behavior. These cars cost to much for us to have vendors offer services, take our money on false promises, then not answer emails or phone calls. If he's that busy he should only take on what he can handle to support when there's issue. Everybody here loves these cars. That's why we chose them.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks I hope you can get this settled. Tell him you dont want to go public on the fourm but will if you have to. Mabey it will work. Hope everything works out keep us posted.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I agree rob. This car is only at 13-14 and its the first time it's ever had a tune. All maintenance has been done like clock work according to mfgr. Recommendation. Oil every 3000 using Mobil 1 only. I've been taking pictures of the inside as I've be working on it lately during the goose chase he has me on. When I have all parts/options of repairs done, I will post them all. It's pretty darn clean for the miles.
That's good, I have a huge file with mods, repairs, and maintenance done. I think the tuner is being full of crap. Get your money back and go with something more reliable at this point so you can get support.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
That's good, I have a huge file with mods, repairs, and maintenance done. I think the tuner is being full of crap. Get your money back and go with something more reliable at this point so you can get support.
Rob I'll send you photos of the plugs before and after and you give me your opinion. Got the lifter galley area, compressor inlet, throttle body and intake ports since I took the intake off out of curiosity after he tried to say it needed a walnut shell cleaning. Wait til you see these.... Keep in mind... It's 161,000. It's the first it's been apart

Old 06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Rob I'll send you photos of the plugs before and after and you give me your opinion. Got the lifter galley area, compressor inlet, throttle body and intake ports since I took the intake off out of curiosity after he tried to say it needed a walnut shell cleaning. Wait til you see these.... Keep in mind... It's 161,000. It's the first it's been apart
Okay send me the pics.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Got the car running again. Still does the exact same thing. Even after I performed some significant amount of work. Drive the car for a bit, head down the interstate, stay out of boost and try to pass a car and not let the car drop into passing gear.... Boom,,, half engine power light comes on. Tried to contact JAN AT RMW thru emails and by phone, left messages. NOT ONE RETURN EMAIL OR PHONE CALL !! Basically, he takes your money, if you have an issue, OH WELL !! He ignores you. Takes your money and runs. There you have it folks. My experience with RMW. it's not the services provided so much that bothers me, it's the way the business is conducted. No support afterwards. NONE !! And when he hears you have an issue he WILL totally ignore you. FIND A DIFFERENT TUNER TO USE !! If he don't have the time to follow up after he shouldn't take your business in the first place.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Turbo R53
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't let that guy tune my lawn mower...sorry about the issues you're having, but it's nothing new. He's been that way since he started "tooning" MINIs. He doesn't really know what he's doing, but everyone thinks he does.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Turbo R53
I wouldn't let that guy tune my lawn mower...sorry about the issues you're having, but it's nothing new. He's been that way since he started "tooning" MINIs. He doesn't really know what he's doing, but everyone thinks he does.
I would tend disagree. The worst tuner out there is ETG. Made the guys car blow up.

As for reaching Jan, he's very busy with more important things such as his racing hobbies he does. I know he was down in Ohio recently from what I was told. I wouldn't have him tune my car unless it was my last resort. Just wait on a tune by BMS, they're working on the N18 right now and then they'll work on the N14.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Carbon clean and probably a better divertor valve.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I would tend disagree. The worst tuner out there is ETG. Made the guys car blow up.

As for reaching Jan, he's very busy with more important things such as his racing hobbies he does. I know he was down in Ohio recently from what I was told. I wouldn't have him tune my car unless it was my last resort. Just wait on a tune by BMS, they're working on the N18 right now and then they'll work on the N14.
Didn't you just help setup a tuning day for RMW? I don't understand your stance if that's the case...

Sorry to hear about your experiences OP, I never dealt with Jan, but know of his arrogance and his countless blown motor stories. I would never let that guy touch my MINI.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic

Didn't you just help setup a tuning day for RMW? I don't understand your stance if that's the case...

Sorry to hear about your experiences OP, I never dealt with Jan, but know of his arrogance and his countless blown motor stories. I would never let that guy touch my MINI.
Yes it was my last resort. I didn't want to pay $1250.00 for a tune at that time but Jan said he won't do my N18, it'll take him too long and the whole day. So he's gonna do the N14 and R53.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes it was my last resort. I didn't want to pay $1250.00 for a tune at that time but Jan said he won't do my N18, it'll take him too long and the whole day. So he's gonna do the N14 and R53.
Ah, okay. Should have realized you are in the N18 boat. Hopefully the wait for a N18 tune isn't too long for you guys.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
RMW can go suck it. Jan is a scum bag.

Quick Reply: problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!