General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Right...

Just ask all the people losing to my RMW "tooned" car!
t

in what series are people "losing" to your car? winning at DE?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Anytime you want to compare acceleration....

Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like we are into the regular BS ! Jan can tune Minis, some may like him others not so much. I'm a satisfied customer but I can understand that tunes can go wrong. Try to work with the tuner in a positive manner, seems like negativity is the order of the day. If the e-mail you posted was a sample of your communication skills, I can understand your problems in getting a positive response.
How about we all do a positive "ommmmmmmmmm" ! That's it now try it again
" ommmmmmmmmmmmm"
Its working for me!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggburp
Looks like we are into the regular BS ! Jan can tune Minis, some may like him others not so much. I'm a satisfied customer but I can understand that tunes can go wrong. Try to work with the tuner in a positive manner, seems like negativity is the order of the day. If the e-mail you posted was a sample of your communication skills, I can understand your problems in getting a positive response.
" ommmmmmmmmmmmm"
Its working for me!
I agree tunes can be good and bad, but if you sell a product, you should be willing to provide CS on that product and I think that is the key issue here. If I contacted someone several times and didn't get a response, I would get quite angry as well.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
OP had done work to his car himself, including working on his intake cam with the VANOS actuator. Perhaps that's where his problems lie. Now, once he goes back to stock tune, if the car runs fine, we'll know it was the tune, if not, it could be user error.

Regardless, I find it funny that people claim that Jan doesn't know what he is doing or calls him a "tooner", when he tunes winning Porsches in Grand Am racing and probably has more experience tuning Mini's than anyone out there....

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is always two sides to a story, its a shame Jan is Banned and unable to respond.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
OP had done work to his car himself, including working on his intake cam with the VANOS actuator. Perhaps that's where his problems lie. Now, once he goes back to stock tune, if the car runs fine, we'll know it was the tune, if not, it could be user error.

Regardless, I find it funny that people claim that Jan doesn't know what he is doing or calls him a "tooner", when he tunes winning Porsches in Grand Am racing and probably has more experience tuning Mini's than anyone out there....
Op did pay to refresh his ecu back to stock and it fixed his problems. That's why he is upset.

Why is Jan banned? Guessing a good reason?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
Op did pay to refresh his ecu back to stock and it fixed his problems.
I guess i missed that thread, posted on the 17th. Also noted in the same thread "Had a mini tech come to my house and set the cam timing." I wonder if that may have contributed to his problems....

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I guess i missed that thread, posted on the 17th. Also noted in the same thread "Had a mini tech come to my house and set the cam timing." I wonder if that may have contributed to his problems....
First off, while you may have had a decent tune done you also have a 1st Gen MINI. So for the purposes of thread and the OP's issue, you may as well be comparing a tune done to your Ford Mustang.....

Secondly, the OP does his own head off valve job in his driveway, but you feel the need to dump those issues in the lap of a MINI tech who in the end of that repair merely set the timing, and you believe that is the reason for this R56 to be running like crap

If you bothered to run back to the OP's first post, the issues cropped up after the RMW tune and 30 days before he performed his own head work. And since RMW lacks customer support ( I think a majority has experienced this ) the OP has resorted to "shot gunning" parts at an undiagnosed problem for which IMO would never have been resolved until going back to the dealer to have the DME reprogramed.

- How about we focus on solving this blokes problem as asked instead beating dead horses.....

Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
First off, while you may have had a decent tune done you also have a 1st Gen MINI. So for the purposes of thread and the OP's issue, you may as well be comparing a tune done to your Ford Mustang.....

Secondly, the OP does his own head off valve job in his driveway, but you feel the need to dump those issues in the lap of a MINI tech who in the end of that repair merely set the timing, and you believe that is the reason for this R56 to be running like crap

If you bothered to run back to the OP's first post, the issues cropped up after the RMW tune and 30 days before he performed his own head work. And since RMW lacks customer support ( I think a majority has experienced this ) the OP has resorted to "shot gunning" parts at an undiagnosed problem for which IMO would never have been resolved until going back to the dealer to have the DME reprogramed.

- How about we focus on solving this blokes problem as asked instead beating dead horses.....
To point 1. No it's not like comparing a Mustang tune. I know a lot of people with and RMW R56 tune and no issues.

To point 2. I didn't dump on the Mini tech at all. I merely stated that it could be the OP's work that caused the issue, and that it required the Mini tech to fix. Maybe I missed something in the timeline, but the way I read it the OP had done the cam and vanos work prior to the tune and the Mini tech fixed the cam timing just prior to re-writing it. If I misunderstood the timeline, them my bad.

As to beating dead horses, I'm merely responding to people who continue to trash a tuner and have no idea what they are talking about...

Bottom line, there is more to this story than is being told......

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
To point 1. No it's not like comparing a Mustang tune. I know a lot of people with and RMW R56 tune and no issues.

To point 2. I didn't dump on the Mini tech at all. I merely stated that it could be the OP's work that caused the issue, and that it required the Mini tech to fix. Maybe I missed something in the timeline, but the way I read it the OP had done the cam and vanos work prior to the tune and the Mini tech fixed the cam timing just prior to re-writing it. If I misunderstood the timeline, them my bad.

As to beating dead horses, I'm merely responding to people who continue to trash a tuner and have no idea what they are talking about...

Bottom line, there is more to this story than is being told......
You had a good experience, that's great, I get that. But the R53 is to the R56 as is a Honda to a Fiat....

There is no comparison with respect to their electrical or mechanical make up. So just because one has a successful tune done by him with an R53, doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he's doing with all of the R56's. These two product lines share nothing in common....

And when the new 3 cylinder engines come out, we will probably just see him fade off into the sunset....

Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

And when the new 3 cylinder engines come out, we will probably just see him fade off into the sunset....
Hate to say it....kinda bet 90% of the current vendors/tuners will.....
Just looking at the lack of diversity of gen 2 parts compared to gen1 at the point in the products lifespan......the scene seems to be in a death spriral......
My r53 experience was good...but the r56 is a different beast.....still...no response is no good...just poor customer service.....

Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
firenewt
4th Gear
There are a number of people Jan has a good relationship with. The problem seems to be which Jan do the rest of us get - good Jan or bad Jan. It is crapshoot which one you get. Unfortunately, the Jan you get at first is the Jan you have the rest of the way. Why? Who knows..............

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggburp
" ommmmmmmmmmmmm"
Its working for me!
that email was after a month of trying to contact the nitt witt in a positive manner

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear

to answer your comment about if it was the tune or not........ today is july 25 2013 12:31.... european performance in elsmere DE just called. set computer to factory, checked cam timing( no issues), check all engine sensors(all good). drove the car off and on for 2 days. down 495 in wilmington as well at all speeds. NOT ONE ENGINE CODE. on my way to pick up the car.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ACallahan
There is always two sides to a story, its a shame Jan is Banned and unable to respond.
why is he banned ?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear

actually your wrong... 30 days before i did not do my own head work. the head work was done 2 weeks ago and if you take the time to look thru my photos you will see that. even with the head work the issue has went away.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
All one sided since the tuner can't respond. Not saying the tune was not the problem. Just saying.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
First:: we should stick to the original posts on the forums so things dont get confused and lost in the shuffleand read all the threads before we post to follow whats gone on:: this is what happen to clearify things. Installed and down pipe and AEM CIA. and deleted the second cat. Engine light came on. I then called RMW and he happen to be in Philly. He installed and tune and only asked for the engine light to go out so i could pass emissions. He said ok 500 and i can turn up the boost alittle as well. i asked with no issues ? he said yes. later that day on the way home i tried to pass a car on the interstate and it went to limp mode. i called him and all he would say is get the car fixed. i payed baltimore mini to do a smoke check, vacuum test and function test of all the engine sensors. all checked good.i went home change the vanos actuator and vanos solenoid and it got faster but the main issue still existed.limp mode on the insterstate.so i said screw it.. im porting the head upgrading the turbo to ko4 and putting the computer back to factory. in the mean time i ceramic coated the intake valves, exhaust valves,combustion chamber, intake ports ,exhaust ports and the turbo. made the problem a tick worse ,so what did i do you say?!?! i increased flow, what did that do ? it leaned it out,remember the problem got worse ?!?! the motor was lean to start with and i compounded it.the tune was off. now !!! today is july 25 2013 12:31.... european performance in elsmere DE just called. set computer to factory, checked cam timing( no issues), check all engine sensors(all good). drove the car off and on for 2 days. down 495 in wilmington as well at all speeds. NOT ONE ENGINE CODE. on my way to pick up the car now. it might not run at optimum performance right now but the MAIN ISSUE IS GONE!! now i will install a fully adjustable computer system on the car and take it to a dyno in maryland and tune the car. RMW GOT THE POST HE DESERVED IN THIS CASE. His customer support is EXTREMELY POOR for the general public. i can tune alcohol injected sprintcar in 2 hours and it pull wheel stands and sound like a top fuel car idleing. that doesnt mean im gonna try to tune some high end street rod with mechanical injection or other sprintcars with my hands full porting heads for other shops, racing every saturday, and maintaining a full time job in the aviation industry when i cant give them support if they have issues and i dont have the time to help them after i take there money. NOT COOL !!!

Last edited by SPRINTCARS; 07-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
All one sided since the tuner can't respond. Not saying the tune was not the problem. Just saying.
the tuner can still read the post and by reading the post he knows exactly who it is and he has my number and email. GROW SOME ***** AND PICK UP THE PHONE

Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Just got done driving the car for an hour and a half. Even with all the mods done to the car, after changing just the tune on the ECU the car has not got one engine light or code. I even tried to cause one by driving aggresively, i could never do that before and still, nothing. Now all i gotta do is get the programable ECU and it should, i use that term loosely, should be a running machine.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS

the tuner can still read the post and by reading the post he knows exactly who it is and he has my number and email. GROW SOME ***** AND PICK UP THE PHONE
I do agree he should contact you. I'm not saying your wrong, but we are only hearing your side. Just saying.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
I do agree he should contact you. I'm not saying your wrong, but we are only hearing your side. Just saying.
Forgot......my ending sorry
JUST SAYING

Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Glad to see you have a sense of humor. Just saying.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Turbo R53
I wouldn't let that guy tune my lawn mower...sorry about the issues you're having, but it's nothing new. He's been that way since he started "tooning" MINIs. He doesn't really know what he's doing, but everyone thinks he does.
Wow, a lot of useless and irrelevant info posted in this thread. Whatever happened to only posting if you actually know the answer? How was this helpful to the OP?

Quick Reply: problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!