General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All we can do at this point is keep this thread up front and help prevent others from going thru the same problem. What ever the case is with his racing, IF HE CAN'T SUPPORT THE PUBLIC AFTER PROVIDING A SO CALLED SERVICE, DON'T DO THE SERVICE !!! Bottom line.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Also, if your not taking your car to him to be ruined on his dyno or his cohort in Philly, all the tune is that your getting is a factory JCW tune with the boost turned up. Since that's the case you might as well take it to the dealer and get something that comes with a warranty that they will fix or provide service unlike our fellow schmuck.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That is assuming he will tune your car. If he sees a problem he won't give a reason he just won't tune and never help you with anything like rescheduling.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Partly true; I think he could possibly see or suspect
Something. But since calls himself a "tooner" he just says, get the car fixed and still puts a factory tune on it and steals your money instead of saying" hey, in think you may have issues" get it checked out and come back without committing FRAUD by taking your money and saying its not his tune.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Doesn't matter at this point. I threw away 650 bucks with this moron. 500 for crap tune and 150 for a BMW shop to erase his tune and go back to stock. Just keep warning people of him.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really sorry to hear this. I had great luck with Jan on my '10 MCS. I had trouble loading his first tune because BMW apparently did something wonky with the ECU starting with the early 2010's, and he quickly turned around a new file for me, like in less than a day. He was up in nearby CT for a tune day a few months after I bought the canned tune and really did a great job eking out 30 more hp over stock -- 10 hp more than his canned file -- for no extra charge other than the dyno time at the shop. The car was otherwise all stock and ran absolutely trouble-free as long as I owned it.

I've heard of many not so good experiences the last few years, and I can only guess that he's stretched himself out too thin lately and his customer service is suffering for it. I know that's little consolation; I sure can't blame you for being ripped about tossing your cash out the window. It's a shame, because he's good when he's on his game. But nobody needs those kinds of headaches for that kind of money.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Thank you your response and sympathy. The public just needs to stick together cause in the end ultimately all we have is each other for the best help to be honest.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting.....ttt

Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So sprintcars, did going back to the stock tune fix it?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
scoopieb
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about your problems. However, I've had the opposite experience with Jan and RMW. First off, I have an R53, so from a tuning pov much different. I've had 2 tunes by him when he was in Seattle over the last 3+ years, the most recent a few months ago. I've also had a remote tune by him after doing some modifications. He has always been responsive both by email and my many phone calls. He's always tried to help me and even has gone above & beyond what I would consider normal business practices. Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
Doesn't matter at this point. I threw away 650 bucks with this moron. 500 for crap tune and 150 for a BMW shop to erase his tune and go back to stock. Just keep warning people of him.
I had to do the same thing.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by scoopieb
Sorry to hear about your problems. However, I've had the opposite experience with Jan and RMW. First off, I have an R53, so from a tuning pov much different. I've had 2 tunes by him when he was in Seattle over the last 3+ years, the most recent a few months ago. I've also had a remote tune by him after doing some modifications. He has always been responsive both by email and my many phone calls. He's always tried to help me and even has gone above & beyond what I would consider normal business practices. Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.
Yeah he seems to do that with a very select few and than the rest he just doesnt care about.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I've had good luck with my r53 tune....but there has always been an issue or two with folks getting service after the sale it seems....some might be folks that will never be happy.... Some were folks that just wanted a reasonable level of service....
Guess it might be a crap shoot....
My car still runs great....super smooth...pulls like crazy.... Glad I got it to this day...

Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
The old tuners of the MINI world need to bow out and let the new ones in. There are several companies trying to tune but, people won't let get over the previous people go who have pretty much done all they are willing to do.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
So sprintcars, did going back to the stock tune fix it?
Won't know til I get the computer red lashed back to factory since he encrypts his tunes. Won't know til next week. I'm sure it'll be fine. None of this existed til the tune

Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Well, I've sent countless emails, left numerous messages. I've replaced every sensor under the hood. Took the head off and did a valve job installed new timing chain and gears. Had a mini tech come to my house and set the cam timing. Now I'm having your tuned burned off since you refuse to communicate at 150 bucks. I was willing to get helix to dyno the car and pay for the tunes and hand held to do it. I will provide receipts if need be but I would to have a refund. Your tune is useless for how my car is used. It was better off in factory form/tune. I would like my 500 dollars back. And or my 150 to put it back to factory settings. Please respond. By not responding its evident you are admitting guilt. Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
Well, I've sent countless emails, left numerous messages. I've replaced every sensor under the hood. Took the head off and did a valve job installed new timing chain and gears. Had a mini tech come to my house and set the cam timing. Now I'm having your tuned burned off since you refuse to communicate at 150 bucks. I was willing to get helix to dyno the car and pay for the tunes and hand held to do it. I will provide receipts if need be but I would to have a refund. Your tune is useless for how my car is used. It was better off in factory form/tune. I would like my 500 dollars back. And or my 150 to put it back to factory settings. Please respond. By not responding its evident you are admitting guilt. Look forward to hearing from you.
This is the email that was sent to jan at RMW.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
That is assuming he will tune your car. If he sees a problem he won't give a reason he just won't tune and never help you with anything like rescheduling.
And that's the TRUE SIGN OF THE WORST TYPE OF BUSINESS MAN TO DEAL WITH.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Been away on vacation so I am just seeing this thread. I have had pretty good luck with Jan. He tuned my JCW about 3 years ago at Helix and then over the next 6 months sent me about 3 or 4 updates. I saw him again 2 years ago in Norwich CT. And he did a good job. I have a hi-res digital boost gauge so I know that I am really seeing what is going on. I can get the car up to 23-24psi of boost. I have NO issues with the engine.

I have one of the very first factory JCWs from July of 2008. I had the original JCW clutch on my car. I know for a fact his tune destroyed that clutch. I had the clutch replaced under warranty and all has been good since then.

Jan is a good guy in person. OK on the phone and he absolutely sucks via email. He is too busy tuning BMW and Porsche's at real racing events. He also makes/designs a lot of R53 engine parts. The MINI tuning is a small fraction of his income.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Been away on vacation so I am just seeing this thread. I have had pretty good luck with Jan. He tuned my JCW about 3 years ago at Helix and then over the next 6 months sent me about 3 or 4 updates. I saw him again 2 years ago in Norwich CT. And he did a good job. I have a hi-res digital boost gauge so I know that I am really seeing what is going on. I can get the car up to 23-24psi of boost. I have NO issues with the engine.

I have one of the very first factory JCWs from July of 2008. I had the original JCW clutch on my car. I know for a fact his tune destroyed that clutch. I had the clutch replaced under warranty and all has been good since then.

Jan is a good guy in person. OK on the phone and he absolutely sucks via email. He is too busy tuning BMW and Porsche's at real racing events. He also makes/designs a lot of R53 engine parts. The MINI tuning is a small fraction of his income.
Like I said in previous posts, if he don't have or won't take the take required to give proper service DON'T take people's money. Stick with racing.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
The problems I had with my R53 after an RMW tune were drivetrain mechanical issues. They were not caused by the tune itself.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had an RMW tune for over 5 years and never had a bit of trouble. Jan even tweeked the tune for better low end drivability at the Dragon a couple of years ago and wouldn't charge me despite my insistence on paying him. I've had his cam and header for 6 years and they are great too. When I've had some issues with the car (not related to the tune), his advise on how to fix it has been spot on and he always responds to my emails and pm's in a reasonable time.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear your issues. I'm another satisfied Jan tuned R53 owner.
Tune was installed about 4 years ago, smooth power increase with absolutely
no negatives!
Hope you get yours sorted.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo R53
I wouldn't let that guy tune my lawn mower...sorry about the issues you're having, but it's nothing new. He's been that way since he started "tooning" MINIs. He doesn't really know what he's doing, but everyone thinks he does.
Right...

Just ask all the people losing to my RMW "tooned" car!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jan was the only guy who would give me the time of day when I said I was interested in tuning my R50. I drove 3 hours and made a border crossing to get it on a dyno. He was a hell of a nice guy and I'm pleased with the results. I'm considering getting down to his shop for header/cam next summer.

Quick Reply: problems after a tune HELP PLEASE !!!