General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official MINI DRLs Fitted

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can get your mechanic to install for a decent price like SG's, then that's great. The reason I DIY'd was because when I called a reputable MINI shop that was used by a NAM member here in Bay Area, I was quoted $440 for install because of "all the parts that need to be removed" and how it took them a long time too, being it was also their 1st install.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Are these offered by dealers yet or still on hold?
Yes they are available and we keep them in stock
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-ha...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
If you can get your mechanic to install for a decent price like SG's, then that's great. The reason I DIY'd was because when I called a reputable MINI shop that was used by a NAM member here in Bay Area, I was quoted $440 for install because of "all the parts that need to be removed" and how it took them a long time too, being it was also their 1st install. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
I'll hook anyone up for $135 if they come to Phoenix

Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 AM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
The MINI dealer quoted me $300 labor to install the DLR's.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are people removing their wipers to install this- its not necessary, unless something has changed in the process since I did it.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by white3
Why are people removing their wipers to install this- its not necessary, unless something has changed in the process since I did it.
I took them off so I could get more work space. I couldn't remove the cover for the grommet because I couldn't reach it properly. The spray can lid technique didn't quite work for me.

Attached Thumbnails Official MINI DRLs Fitted-image-3851697444.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StrikeZ
The MINI dealer quoted me $300 labor to install the DLR's.
Same here. The official instructions quote 1.5 hours, but apparently they're rather optimistic.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
I just called my Dealer and she quoted me $345 installation. When I mentioned it was supposed to be a 1.5 hour job, she said that was for each side. Guess I'm gonna keep looking.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The instructions assume that the bumper is already off and everything is prepared if I read it correctly.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The instructions assume that the bumper is already off and everything is prepared if I read it correctly.
+1. This is correct.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM
stash182
2nd Gear
How did you snake the blue wire into the cabin without removing the plastic covering over the rubbery piece that you cut to feed the wire into the cabin? I had to remove my wipers to get that plastic covering off.

Originally Posted by white3

Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
stash182
2nd Gear
I'm at my mechanic's shop now and he quoted me around $180 to finish the job. Maybe if you do as much prep work as you can like I did. It's "easy" to get the wiring harness in place; I brought my mechanic in to remove the bumper cover. And when I say easy, i mean it took me 3 hours to finish.

Originally Posted by vetsvette
I just called my Dealer and she quoted me $345 installation. When I mentioned it was supposed to be a 1.5 hour job, she said that was for each side. Guess I'm gonna keep looking.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stash182
How did you snake the blue wire into the cabin without removing the plastic covering over the rubbery piece that you cut to feed the wire into the cabin? I had to remove my wipers to get that plastic covering off.
I did not remove the wipers or wiper cover. As suggested by someone else, you can prop up the plastic wiper area cover with spray paint caps and reach in (if you have smallish wrists) and undo the covering over the feedthrough.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I did not remove the wipers or wiper cover. As suggested by someone else, you can prop up the plastic wiper area cover with spray paint caps and reach in (if you have smallish wrists) and undo the covering over the feedthrough.
Without taking the wiper apron off, isn't it a real challenge to snake a single wire through the outer firewall grommet around the brake booster to the inner firewall grommet? I installed extra driving lights with wiring taking the same route. I'm not a big guy but it was trick with the apron off. Will have to try your method though.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Without taking the wiper apron off, isn't it a real challenge to snake a single wire through the outer firewall grommet around the brake booster to the inner firewall grommet? I installed extra driving lights with wiring taking the same route. I'm not a big guy but it was trick with the apron off. Will have to try your method though.
It was a tight fitting squeezing my hand in to unlatch the cover over the grommet/passthrough. Did get some scrapes on the hand. But I couldn't get the wiper off so I had no choice.

Once the covering was removed I snipped the end off one of the spare ***** and used a ziptie to help feed the wire through.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
I'm at my mechanic's shop now and he quoted me around $180 to finish the job. Maybe if you do as much prep work as you can like I did. It's "easy" to get the wiring harness in place; I brought my mechanic in to remove the bumper cover. And when I say easy, i mean it took me 3 hours to finish.
Remember to post pics after install is completed.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I read the official instructions at least 20 or so times, and kept going back through the picture by picture install on the Total MINI dot com forums, and really thought I could do it on my own. I'd previously installed my JCW aero kit by myself with lousy tools in a dark parking garage. I must say, I'm glad I waited for my club's DIY day, because my MINI technician did 85-90% of the work, and it was still a pain in the rear. Too many tight spaces, and like all first time installs, trying to stick to the directions only hurt me because I couldn't understand why we couldn't get the control box to fit on the right side of the fuse box. Anyway, I don't think anyone should beat themselves up over the install if you're not a huge DIY person. Lots of little things to take apart, and lots of small places to work in, and you really do need the correct tools to reach all the tight spaces.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I read the official instructions at least 20 or so times, and kept going back through the picture by picture install on the Total MINI dot com forums, and really thought I could do it on my own. I'd previously installed my JCW aero kit by myself with lousy tools in a dark parking garage. I must say, I'm glad I waited for my club's DIY day, because my MINI technician did 85-90% of the work, and it was still a pain in the rear. Too many tight spaces, and like all first time installs, trying to stick to the directions only hurt me because I couldn't understand why we couldn't get the control box to fit on the right side of the fuse box. Anyway, I don't think anyone should beat themselves up over the install if you're not a huge DIY person. Lots of little things to take apart, and lots of small places to work in, and you really do need the correct tools to reach all the tight spaces.
I was so focused on my own DIY project that I couldn't drop the wrench long enough to really get the low down on your install! I have a set sitting in the floor next to me along with a freshly painted aero bumper. Are you liking them? Sweet looking JCW you have.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I was so focused on my own DIY project that I couldn't drop the wrench long enough to really get the low down on your install! I have a set sitting in the floor next to me along with a freshly painted aero bumper. Are you liking them? Sweet looking JCW you have.

Thanks for the compliment. I really do like them a lot. Having installed them now, the job isn't that big a deal. The bumper removal and install was easy. The wiring under the hood is easy, and now that I know the tricks to feeding the wire through the firewall, that isn't a big deal either. Plus, for my car, fitting the controller box on the left side of the wiring harness box makes sense in hindsight. I didn't get to see Gene crimp things up inside, so I'm lost there except for what's on the web - even he didn't crimp it down good enough, so I had the initial scare of the DRLs not working while all the others light positions did (fog and marker lights). Gene also has great tools, including the tool that makes taking the wiper off a breeze. I keep staring at the reflection of these in the cars in front of me when I'm at a light. And, I now also notice all the new Benz and Audi's with the LED DRLs, too.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 PM
stash182
2nd Gear
Did anyone figure out how to have full halos with headlights on like BMWs?

I'm interested also, but I believe the 12v signals only purpose is to tell the control unit when the car is on. The logic is handled by the control unit, so I believe that you would have to reprogram the control unit to do this.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
stash182
2nd Gear
Ah, will do! Wish I had time to get her a wash first.

Escaped the mechanic $154 poorer; not bad in my book! Unfortunately, they tapped into the wrong wire (used the MINI instructions even though I gave them the corrected info). They wanted more money to fix it so I decided to go DIY.

Serious props to MotorWorf's post 420 and the guide. That helped a lot. I have no idea how yall figured out the right wire to tap but i guessed at a grey wire and got lucky.

Originally Posted by KilmerPT
Remember to post pics after install is completed.

Last edited by stash182; 01-15-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:02 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
I have no idea how yall figured out the right wire to tap but i guessed at a grey wire and got lucky.
Glad you picked the right one, but in case someone else needs a visual, here is a pic of the correct grey wire on socket x14261 if you follow the grey wire from my thumb to the red crimp connector. The grey wire is on the 12th pin from the top, if I remember correctly. lol

Socket x14261 is the one on the top connected to the module, and the socket casing is black/interior casing is also black. If you use the wrong socket which is the x14260 on the bottom, the colors are black/grey for comparison--check out my pic. No grey wire on this socket either.

Attached Thumbnails Official MINI DRLs Fitted-image-546823081.jpg   Official MINI DRLs Fitted-image-2428464124.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Ah, my connector is different. It has a non-removable (at least I think not is non-removable) cover that makes it impossible to tell which wire goes to which pin. I flat out guessed.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone gotten any breakage protection for these light yet? I went to the shop that did my 3m paint protection film install (clear bra), and was told that the DRL shape is too curved for the film to stick.
I would hate for a rock to crack one of these and then to have to buy a new pair and do the install again. Any ideas?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,772 Posts
We have the Lamin-X brand flog light film. which is for the stock fog light lens.

Front Fog Light With Position Light - Priced Each Part #63172751295

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63172751295/

VS.

MINI Daytime Running Lights LED Part #63122338554

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63122338554/

A good install shop should be able to do it with the clear ones. The DRL Leds look to have close to the same curve. I would give it a try. MN107

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/MN107-1/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-25-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Official MINI DRLs Fitted