General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official MINI DRLs Fitted

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheMike
Just a question, and a shot in the dark, but what are the possibilities these DRL's are gonna be on the '14's when fogs are in the build? I haven't actually seen any '14's yet so I'm just curious.
Low. The headlights will have halo rings on 14's according to pics.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
is there a version for the R53?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
is there a version for the R53?
No sorry

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put my order in yesterday- hopefully they will arrive in time for the weekend!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by white3
Just put my order in yesterday- hopefully they will arrive in time for the weekend!
2-4 days via DHL. I'll bet you get them on Fri. Congrats!! Good choice!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, need your help!
Irvine Mini SA just called to say there's no way NOT to drop the bumper to install. I sent him the installation link, but he insists the picture even shows the bumper is removed in on of the pictures.

Naturally, there are no instructions in the package...and where did the 1.5 hour quoted come from. He's quoting me 4 hours at a cost of over $500

Right now they're waiting for direction from me....advice?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XSIV SUN
Guys, need your help!
Irvine Mini SA just called to say there's no way NOT to drop the bumper to install. I sent him the installation link, but he insists the picture even shows the bumper is removed in on of the pictures.

Naturally, there are no instructions in the package...and where did the 1.5 hour quoted come from. He's quoting me 4 hours at a cost of over $500

Thought your guy said they were intrigued and would do for $165?
My MINI mechanic did It in an hour 40 for $135. No bumper removal. Just headlights.
Come to Phx and I'll get you same price!

Greg

Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
ocluck
2nd Gear
Guys, need your help!

BAIT N SWITCH?

guess i'll wait for some kind soul to make a DIY :(

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ocluck

BAIT N SWITCH?

Or come to Phx and pay $135

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ocluck

BAIT N SWITCH?

His service advisor just has no clue. Can't blame their ignorance. My mechanic used his head. He was not afraid to do something new. He even posted my install on FB. Search EUROTECHS to see. His SA needs to think, replace fog lights, secure control box onto fuse box, tap blue wire onto grey wire in footwell.

Find a great local MINI mechanic. The dealers have no clue.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
. Search EUROTECHS to see. .
Greg, I'm searching what I think is their site...not coming up with anything. If you could send me a link, I'd be deeply appreciative (so I can forward it to the SA).

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

Greg, I'm searching what I think is their site...not coming up with anything. If you could send me a link, I'd be deeply appreciative (so I can forward it to the SA).

Thanks!
He just posted a pic and described the DRLs. He didn't list install instructions.
Have your SA call him if he doesn't believe you. No promise that the owner will give up his install method though. I waited and watched him. No bumper removal needed.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Just discovered something new. When you have your parking lights or headlights on and turn off the car and lock it, when you unlock it the position LEDs (the top third) light up too. Pretty cool!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

Thanks!
Www.eurotechsaz.com
Www.facebook.com/EUROTECHS
Official MINI DRLs Fitted-image-657636249.jpg

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Just discovered something new. When you have your parking lights or headlights on and turn off the car and lock it, when you unlock it the position LEDs (the top third) light up too. Pretty cool!
If you get out of the car with it off, then hit the turn signal indicator, does it stay on? like its supposed to in the EU

Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain

If you get out of the car with it off, then hit the turn signal indicator, does it stay on? like its supposed to in the EU
No

Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Just find a great MINI technician. Don't go to the dealer. $135 labor in PHX, and I'll give you a free room. You just have to buy dinner :P

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Update:
Negotiated it down to $440, which was still wayyyy higher than my original quote. If I can find that shop manual reference pointing to 1.5 hrs, I'm going back to re-negotiate. They said that had to remove the bumper (I think that was just convenience for them). But they did a great install...you'd never know it didn't come from the factory.

That said, WOW

Yes, when you lock the car, the upper 1/3 LED comes on (and even it puts out a lot of light).

Here's a twist. I have the Bi-Zenon headlamps, and the LED's (especially with the fog/driving lamps on) seem slightly whiter than even those!

In my short drive at night, the fog/driving lights had a really great dispersion rate. Maybe a hair high, but no one going the opposite way flashed me in the two miles I drove down a 4 lane highway.

I'm going to have to check out the turn signal/parking light option.

Yes, they were a ton of $$$, but really happy with them. Totally makes the car (pictures to be taken this weekend and posted!)

Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM
white3
4th Gear
Help!

Anyone who installed these themselves, I totally dont get the part where you affix the control unit to the power distribution box (fuse box)? It shows it being squeezed in on the right side and zip tied over the top of the fuse box. How on earth is anyone supposed to access the fuse box in the future?
Also, the wire A1 that goes into the interior of the car, what did you tie it to to keep it from just running along the back of the engine?

Many thanks!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Help!

Anyone who installed these themselves, I totally dont get the part where you affix the control unit to the power distribution box (fuse box)? It shows it being squeezed in on the right side and zip tied over the top of the fuse box. How on earth is anyone supposed to access the fuse box in the future?
Also, the wire A1 that goes into the interior of the car, what did you tie it to to keep it from just running along the back of the engine?

Many thanks!

As far as the fuse box....pretty simple really. If you or anyone else needs access to it just cut the zip ties and replace them when you are finished.

Can't help you with the wire, but that sounds simple to. Just zip tie along somewhere so it is safe from damage. Is there a factory wire loom that runs anywhere near there that you can zip tie it to? There has to be one near I'd assume.

Good luck!!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM
white3
4th Gear
I learned a thing or two after installing my DRL's (mostly learned the hard way)

-You can install the drivers side light by just loosening the bumper. Headlight removal is harder because you have the windshield washer bottle in the way.

-Passenger side can be done thru the wheel well by removing the front half of the liner, and one of the horns- very easy.

-Getting the wire into the passenger compartment is tricky because you have to go thru the rubber access port in the firewall just at the right angle.

-When installing the new lights in the frames that mount them to the car, a drop of black wow on the plastic nub allows it to slip into the mount easily without fear of breakage.

The lights look great and the color match with the Xenons is much better than the old fog lights.

Attached Thumbnails Official MINI DRLs Fitted-img_0404.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
I learned a thing or two after installing my DRL's (mostly learned the hard way)

-You can install the drivers side light by just loosening the bumper. Headlight removal is harder because you have the windshield washer bottle in the way.

-Passenger side can be done thru the wheel well by removing the front half of the liner, and one of the horns- very easy.

-Getting the wire into the passenger compartment is tricky because you have to go thru the rubber access port in the firewall just at the right angle.

-When installing the new lights in the frames that mount them to the car, a drop of black wow on the plastic nub allows it to slip into the mount easily without fear of breakage.

The lights look great and the color match with the Xenons is much better than the old fog lights.
Nice job white, they are crazy bright aren't they?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Angryriican66
2nd Gear
Help!

Many thanks!
I didn't strap it, the space was so tight the double sided tape held it in place no problem, checked it a few days ago and it is still nicely tucked in the same spot

Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Angryriican66
2nd Gear
Update:
Negotiated it down to $440, which was still wayyyy higher than my original quote. If I can find that shop manual reference pointing to 1.5 hrs, I'm going back to re-negotiate. They said that had to remove the bumper (I think that was just convenience for them). But they did a great install...you'd never know it didn't come from the factory.

That said, WOW

Yes, when you lock the car, the upper 1/3 LED comes on (and even it puts out a lot of light).

Here's a twist. I have the Bi-Zenon headlamps, and the LED's (especially with the fog/driving lamps on) seem slightly whiter than even those!

In my short drive at night, the fog/driving lights had a really great dispersion rate. Maybe a hair high, but no one going the opposite way flashed me in the two miles I drove down a 4 lane highway.

I'm going to have to check out the turn signal/parking light option.

Yes, they were a ton of $$$, but really happy with them. Totally makes the car (pictures to be taken this weekend and posted!)
PM me your email address and I'll send you the factory install sheet

Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 AM
white3
4th Gear
I didnt strap the control module in either. It IS a tight fit, but I was able to get the sticky tape in to make sure it wasnt going to wiggle anywhere.

These lights are crazy bright! Like Greg said, its fun to pull up behind another car at a stop and see these two halos reflected in their bumper.

Quick Reply: Official MINI DRLs Fitted