General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
El Kabong
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Changes

What's your experience getting oil changes at local mechanics and tune-up shops? Any special parts or special oil required?

I know, with my wife's Land Rover, you have to have a special ($24.95) oil filter, which very few places (and not too many auto parts stores) have.

Or can I just drive into Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Outmotoring has OEM filters.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...il_filter.html

I've read, on these forums, that people have had problems with aftermarket filters.

I use MINI's own oil, purchased at the dealer, it doesn't cost any more than other synthetic oils and meets the factory LL01 specs.

Dave

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a good quality synthetic of the proper weight. MINI provides a list of "acceptable" oil. I usually look for something that at least meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec and the BMW-LL01 spec, though there are good oils that don't meet those (e.g. Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.).

I use the OEM filter. Haven't heard much about any quality aftermarket filters, but I think there are a couple out there. Maybe someone else has some experience.

Would definitely stay away from the chain lube places. If you can't do it yourself, find a good independent shop that has experience with MINIs. Your local club may be able to give you some leads. Or use the dealer (and hope you can find some deals/discounts).

Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM
mini on
4th Gear
There is a ton of info about all of your questions here on the forum. While your car is under warranty I would take it to the dealer every 7500. You want to use a euro-spec oil. I use Mobil1 10-40. Jiffy Lube or places like that typically don't have the filters and the oil. I wouldn't take my car to a place like that. I have had good luck with Amazon. I do top side oil changes easy. Good luck

Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
One of the biggest problems with the chain oil-changers is that you have no idea who is actually doing the work, nor what kind of experience they have.

With a dealer, you at least know that someone with experience with MINIs will be doing the work, and they have all of the parts on hand and are more likely to stand behind their work if your car has any problems. Especially if you're still under warranty.

With an independent mechanic, you know that he is the one who is doing the work. Hopefully you've talked to him long enough to know how much experience he has with MINIs, and whether you think he is trustworthy or not.

Many (but not all) quickie oil-change places have an ever-changing collection of people whose training and experience can vary significantly. You typically don't get 20-year experts working there, because they are all pushing as hard as they can to cut costs.

If I knew that a mechanic I trusted worked for a particular quick oil change location, I wouldn't feel bad about using them. But none of them I know of do that. So it's the dealer or an independent, for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider doing it yourself to make sure it's done right. I would stay away from Jiffy Lube at all costs. If you're unwilling to do it yourself take it to a Mini dealer or find a lcoal mechanic that specializes in at least european if not german automobiles.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Run awy from quickie oil change shops...
The mini oil filter is slightly more common than landrover...but not by much....IS NOT A CANISTER oil filter like most shops know...but a filter cartridge, no outer casing.
Most EURO OILS are ok....but a quality syenthic 5w 30 is fine if out od warrenty if you fo oil changes every 5000 to 7500 miles like most folks.
that and CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS ...MINIS CONSUME A BIT!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just make sure you bring stock oil filters. That is the only thing I forgot on this last oil change.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobertJ
Consider doing it yourself to make sure it's done right. I would stay away from Jiffy Lube at all costs. If you're unwilling to do it yourself take it to a Mini dealer or find a lcoal mechanic that specializes in at least european if not german automobiles.
To give you an idea how bad Jiffy Lube is, the one two blocks from my house is under its THIRD manager and once spent a month boarded up. I can't believe the entire chain hasn't gone under considering their crummy reputation (that is if they ever had one to begin with!). And how would you even know if they used the right tools? One thing I learned from experience, don't trust a repair shop that doesn't put windows in the waiting room. I always keep an eye on my car as they service it. Some crooked shops have been known to pour USED oil into a customer's car and charge for the oil change! And I caught one shop pouring less than a full oil fillup on my previous car. I filled it to the top and never went there again.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Goldwing357
Neutral
Hey guys and gals~
hmmm, what is this: I bought a mini oil filter socket,
I changed the oil in spring - without changing the filter
I used to own a sports car performance center and am a mechanic
Mini is a 2002 purchased a winter ago
NOW~ I can't get either the filter off or the drain plug open??? just not man enough?

Also - instructions from manual says make sure to replace BOTH O rings?

New filter came with only 1 O ring for block to filter cannister?

Am I in a parallel world or what ?

~Chip

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Goldwing357
Neutral
also, seems my front wind dam would scrape on my custom sears ramps <? geeze

Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
I used to work at a JiffyLube waaaaYYYY back in the day. And I would have to agree. The oil change technicians there while they receive training, I bet they really do not care how tight your oil plug is... And most likely they are using their calibrated elbow. So sure maybe the first 15 times no issues, but maybe time 16 and 17 you start noticing a drip and then time 18 they are telling you your drain plug hole is stripped/worn...
I believe if torqued properly you should never need a new drain plug.. I would trust a Mini technician calibrated elbow over some guy who probablely doesnt have to take a drug test and gets paid alot less...

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Run awy from quickie oil change shops...
The mini oil filter is slightly more common than landrover...but not by much....IS NOT A CANISTER oil filter like most shops know...but a filter cartridge, no outer casing.
Most EURO OILS are ok....but a quality syenthic 5w 30 is fine if out od warrenty if you fo oil changes every 5000 to 7500 miles like most folks.
that and CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS ...MINIS CONSUME A BIT!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Goldwing357
Hey guys and gals~
hmmm, what is this: I bought a mini oil filter socket,
I changed the oil in spring - without changing the filter
I used to own a sports car performance center and am a mechanic
Mini is a 2002 purchased a winter ago
NOW~ I can't get either the filter off or the drain plug open??? just not man enough?

Also - instructions from manual says make sure to replace BOTH O rings?

New filter came with only 1 O ring for block to filter cannister?

Am I in a parallel world or what ?

~Chip

Hey Chip, lol im sure you are plenty man enough for this job. Hopefully I can be of some help. Sometimes the older (R50-53 engines) MINIs that have the oil filter in the back near the exhaust manifold, are a real pain to get loose, especially if you havent changed the filter in a while. What I have found helpful, is to use a ratchet with a flex-head and the 27mm socket, and purchase a big pipe (cheater bar) from home depot for about 10 bucks, to slide over the handle-end of your ratchet. This usually gives me enough leverage to get the oil filter loose. You can also try using a regular breaker bar , but usually I find the ratchet + pipe combo to work the best. MAKE SURE YOU LUBE THE CRAP OUT OF THE NEW O-RING WHEN YOU PUT IT ON!!!!!! This is the most important part. Because if you dont lube it, you will break it, and spill oil all over your garage floor/ driveway. While you are tightening it down, make sure you keep running your hand around the oil filter cap/ housing to make sure its flush, and that the o-ring is not bulging out. If it does start to come out, loosen the cap and try again. As for the drain plug, alot of people over-tighten them and make it very hard to get off the next time it needs an oil change. Be careful using the 13mm because sometimes it will strip. If it does start to strip- I believe it is a 1/2 in socket that I use instead, hammer it on there and use a breaker bar to break it loose. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by guywhomaybuyamini
I used to work at a JiffyLube waaaaYYYY back in the day. And I would have to agree. The oil change technicians there while they receive training, I bet they really do not care how tight your oil plug is... And most likely they are using their calibrated elbow. So sure maybe the first 15 times no issues, but maybe time 16 and 17 you start noticing a drip and then time 18 they are telling you your drain plug hole is stripped/worn...
I believe if torqued properly you should never need a new drain plug.. I would trust a Mini technician calibrated elbow over some guy who probablely doesnt have to take a drug test and gets paid alot less...

Yes sir, I cant tell you how many cars come into our dealer after having oil services done elsewhere... Even after years of being a MINI technician, I STILL almost always use my torque wrench for oil drain plugs. Some of the guys laugh at me, but hey, I would much rather be safe than sorry! On the R50-53 (older MINI) we ALWAYS replace the drain plug. Every oil change it gets a new one. With the newer style engines, we only replace the crush washer. But every time, it NEEDS a new crush washer as per MINI instructions.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
there is one bump in many of the posts here

do you think that your MINI dealer has their highly trained tech' doing your oil change?

Or might it be one of the 'kids' they are training'

Having used 'quick change' places for a long time over the years, the only time I had a PROBLEM with an oil change was AT the dealer ..... oopps ... we forgot to put in the oil.

++++

missed this one:

Yes sir, I cant tell you how many cars come into our dealer after having oil services done elsewhere... Even after years of being a MINI technician, I STILL almost always use my torque wrench

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by El Kabong
What's your experience getting oil changes at local mechanics and tune-up shops? Any special parts or special oil required?

I know, with my wife's Land Rover, you have to have a special ($24.95) oil filter, which very few places (and not too many auto parts stores) have.

Or can I just drive into Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change?
Here's my oil change horror story post in another thread which happened to be about changing your own oil. You don't have to do that of course but I can't recommend strongly enough that you go to the dealer or an independent MINI expert:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...30-post32.html

Val

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
No good stories ever start with "after my Jiffy lube oil change"

We have a great kit for doing it
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oil-cha...5-r56-r57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
pepsiguy78
1st Gear
How long is TOO long?

What is the preferred oil change frequency period?
We have a 2012 CMS4 and changed oil for the first time at 9000 miles. The dealer tells me 15000 miles or once a year is what they recommend since it has the synthetic oil. I have decided to change twice a year instead of just once. What does everyone else say???

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I recommend every 5k miles

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I recommend every 5k miles
Not only is 5,000 a safe number, it is so easy to remember.
Every 5,000 or 10,000 increment it is time to change the oil, rotate tires, check pads, etc.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Sad state of affairs if you have no faith or trust in your dealership. I expect that when I bring my MINI into the dealer for the free (actually not free, lets just say pre-paid) oil change and service that the work will be done right. If not, I will lose confidence in the company as a whole and likely look at other car companies when it comes time to trade.

Dealerships are a reflection of the company. If BMW allows shoddy work to come out of its authorized service facilities then what does that say about what's coming off the factory floor?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pepsiguy78
What is the preferred oil change frequency period?
We have a 2012 CMS4 and changed oil for the first time at 9000 miles. The dealer tells me 15000 miles or once a year is what they recommend since it has the synthetic oil. I have decided to change twice a year instead of just once. What does everyone else say???
I plan to bring my 2013 into the dealership for them to give it the once-over, check for recalls and service bullitens and put it up on the lift to take a good look underneath. I'll do it at 5,000 miles. I don't expect anything to be wrong, just want a courtesy inspection. At 10,000 miles I'll have them do a full service.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
El Kabong
2nd Gear
My (first) Mini has not arrived yet, so I'm just thinking ahead. For me it's not a matter of not trusting the dealer service dept. Sometimes it's not convenient to drop my car off at the dealer for the day, just for an oil change. Often, it's much easier to drop by a local mechanic or quick-lube or Walmart on a Saturday morning. I'm in and out in 30 minutes or less. Even though oil changes are included for the first 36k, I may want to change my oil more frequently than MINI recommends (and will give me for free).

I have found with my Land Rover, that this doesn't work well. Places often don't have the funky LR oil filter, and sometimes they don't have the right oil.

Not a problem with my Infiniti. I can take it anywhere and get a quality oil change, quick and cheap.

I was just wondering what the situation was with MINIs.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
El Kabong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
I plan to bring my 2013 into the dealership for them to give it the once-over, check for recalls and service bullitens and put it up on the lift to take a good look underneath. I'll do it at 5,000 miles. I don't expect anything to be wrong, just want a courtesy inspection. At 10,000 miles I'll have them do a full service.
Question . . . does the "Free Maintenance" program allow you to bring your car in whenever you want, or is it only for scheduled service.

My Infiniti offered "Free Scheduled Maintenance" for the first 30k miles. Which is nice, except that the car doesn't required a whole lot of maintentance, other than oil changes every 7,500 miles (so that's 4 free oil changes) and maybe a couple of tire rotations.

I realize that MINI's (BMW's) program is more comprehensive. Being new to MINI world, I'm just trying to find out what I have to look forward to.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Question . . . does the "Free Maintenance" program allow you to bring your car in whenever you want, or is it only for scheduled service.

My Infiniti offered "Free Scheduled Maintenance" for the first 30k miles. Which is nice, except that the car doesn't required a whole lot of maintentance, other than oil changes every 7,500 miles (so that's 4 free oil changes) and maybe a couple of tire rotations.

I realize that MINI's (BMW's) program is more comprehensive. Being new to MINI world, I'm just trying to find out what I have to look forward to.
MINI works the same way. No charge if you bring it in when the OBC (on board computer) indicates it is time for a service. MINI does not include tire rotations. If you have consumables that need replacing, they will do that (a useful one being wiper blades). If you manage to wear through your brakes, they will install new pads/rotors and you will almost certainly get at least one brake fluid flush.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes