General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey MINI USA, I'd like to trade my new FIAT 500 Sport for a MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
flav
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey MINI USA, I'd like to trade my new FIAT 500 Sport for a MINI...

MINI, I would seriously consider publicly trading my FIAT 500 Sport for a MINI Cooper because as a male in my mid 30s I am completely disappointed with the direction FIAT is taking with their association with JLo. MINI are you listening??? The whole country is watching, would you be interested? I'll hand my keys right over, trade my brand new FIAT for a MINI. I've owned 3 MINI coopers before and after this JLo stuff I want to come back to the MINI brand, will you take me? You can contact me if interested...Cheers

Last edited by flav; 09-20-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too thought that commercial was lame. Very lame. I'm not a fan of hers either. I bet it does not run long. It was more about her than the car. She's fat.

But seriously, you really don't have a Fiat do you?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I too thought that commercial was lame. Very lame. I'm not a fan of hers either. I bet it does not run long. It was more about her than the car. She's fat.

But seriously, you really don't have a Fiat do you?
I do. Picture attached. I think a lot of us bought these cars thinking they would be marketed as classy, artsy, european...and FIAT comes out with a commercial with JLo driving it...absolutely terrible. There are people all over FIATs Facebook page complaining about it. Men (and some women) that say they were thinking about buying one and won't think about it now because of how they are positioning the car here in the states. Its a shame actually, its really a nice driving little car. There was one guy who recently bought a FIAT 500 and wrote either on Facebook or a forum (I can't recall at the moment) that he was sitting around watching a football game with a few of his buddies, and the JLo commercial came on and he was so embarrassed he left the room. FIAT has totally alienated its entire male audience.

Here is the thing...I've owned 3 MINI before a 2004, 2005 and 2007 (I like cars lol) and I think MINI did a PERFECT job of positioning the brand as a car for both genders. The MINI can be either masculine or feminine depending on who is driving it, color, options ect. Thats not the car as much as it was brilliant and careful branding on MINIs part. They knew how important it was MINIs success to keep the car brand unisex. FIAT on the other hand has left a bad taste in mine and a few other peoples mouth with the JLo TV spots.

So like I said, I'm reaching out to MINI USA and will literally trade my new FIAT for a MINI...

Attached Thumbnails Hey MINI USA, I'd like to trade my new FIAT 500 Sport for a MINI...-252222_10150198007836821_654766820_7477050_4951219_n.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I gotta say that with posts like this and on FB, that Fiat's marketing is working. We are discussing their commercial and remembering it. That is what marketing is about.

I do think JLo was hott in the commercial too.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the commercial but still wan the abarth

Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
jlo is a decent actress but terrible singer. don't think she has improved her voice when she was married. that fiat commercial is a laugh-er

Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I gotta say that with posts like this and on FB, that Fiat's marketing is working. We are discussing their commercial and remembering it. That is what marketing is about.

I do think JLo was hott in the commercial too.
I totally disagree, they are introducing a whole new car brand to the States...and after commercials like that and JLo as a spokes person most guys wouldn't be caught dead driving in one! Thats marketing failure

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flav
I totally disagree, they are introducing a whole new car brand to the States...and after commercials like that and JLo as a spokes person most guys wouldn't be caught dead driving in one! Thats marketing failure
I agree and I think it's a tasteless commercial.

My wife ranked it up with the worst of any of the car commercials. Even the ones with the mice, for the Soul I think. Those are lame but the Jlo commercial is the new winner for lameness.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cccplus
jlo is a decent actress but terrible singer. don't think she has improved her voice when she was married. that fiat commercial is a laugh-er
I totally disagree, she is a passable singer and a completely atrocious actress.

The poster above who said she is fat is nuts, she just has a big ***. Not the same thing.

More on topic, I think it's silly to get worked up about how a company advertises a product you've already purchased. It's just one ad, it's not a big deal.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Mini PoWA!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
I hate the commercial but still wan the abarth
+1

And i will still keep the mini!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by PatM
I agree and I think it's a tasteless commercial.

My wife ranked it up with the worst of any of the car commercials. Even the ones with the mice, for the Soul I think. Those are lame but the Jlo commercial is the new winner for lameness.
Oh please! Nowhere near as lame and tasteless as:

The one that MINIUSA spent $3 million for 30 seconds on the Super Bowl ($100,000 per second).

Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 AM
wandrur
At least MINI has a sense of humor. I found that Fiat commercial to just be annoying.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
I just watched it. Terrible. Although I still like the Abarth 500

Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
You gotta be kidding right?....If you don't want to be seen with JLo then just send her my way...............

Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I buy a car because I like it, I don't care what other people's opinion of the car are. Can't understand why someone would base their buying or selling of a car on a commercial.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw

The one that MINIUSA spent $3 million for 30 seconds on the Super Bowl ($100,000 per second).
+1. Exactly what I was thinking. I didn't try to get rid of my MINI after that atrocity. Come on flav, suck it up, keep driving the Lo-mobile!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
I'm not a fan of hers either, however she is hott.

I couldn't care less about the Abarf

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw

I still think the Jlo is worse. At least this one tries to be funny. The JLo is more about her than the car.

I still give the Fiat and Jlo the worst car commercial award.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
The Fiat 500 saved Fiat from bankruptcy and I have a feeling that one of the reasons why was because of the brilliant marketing that they used in 1957 upon inception of the 500. Check out their debut commercial below. They got all of the pretty ladies of Italy to dress up in their Sunday best to stand up in the car out of the sunroof and travel down the downtown strip to stir up interest in the classy, oh so well-proportionioned small cars.

This commercial is SO MUCH MORE CLASSY than J-Lo. What the F were they thinking? Americanize a car that is anything but American? Sigh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOkdLjAVhy0

P.S. despite all of my trials, I suck at embedding YouTube videos. Anyone know how?

Last edited by christomapher; 09-21-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: YouTube fail
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Couldn't agree more. I think this commercial will backfire on them.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Janus
2nd Gear
From the looks of this and other promo material I've seen, theyre trying to market this like a womans fashion accessory.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
I buy a car because I like it, I don't care what other people's opinion of the car are. Can't understand why someone would base their buying or selling of a car on a commercial.
+1 If he liked the car enough to buy it before he saw the commercial, why would he want to get rid of it now? It's the same car, the commercial didn't change it.

(as for JLo, she's beautiful, a passable singer, dances pretty well and cannot act for beans!)

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy
+1 If he liked the car enough to buy it before he saw the commercial, why would he want to get rid of it now? It's the same car, the commercial didn't change it.

(as for JLo, she's beautiful, a passable singer, dances pretty well and cannot act for beans!)
Probably wouldn't but the commercial is geared to those that have not bought the car not those who already have. I'm not in the market for a Fiat but if I were I would not consider it after the commercial. Call me shallow but the commercial just turned me off. I agree with the OP. Fiat is excluding a large segment of male population in my opinion.

Current owners can't really do anything about it except get the sideways looks from other guys.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
The poster above who said she is fat is nuts, she just has a big ***. Not the same thing.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
+1 If you sell it because of a commercial

Quick Reply: Hey MINI USA, I'd like to trade my new FIAT 500 Sport for a MINI...