General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini ever go retro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
hoodie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini ever go retro?

Do you think mini will ever go back to the days of looking like this?

I used to have a 2007 Mini Cooper S PW/B Manual(loved the interior and the drive) but i think the one thing about mini is that i miss seeing/driving the smaller boxier car.
It seems the new design of the mini's are all bubbly, which reminds me of a VW beetle (imo). Would want something a bit more "classic." I am a avid fan of the mini but it seems that they've strayed a bit...no?

Saw the concept of the Rocketman and was a bit disappointed at the new design.
*Edit: http://www.minispace.com/en_us/artic...t/503/?eid=503 posted:

"with a throwback to classic Mini exterior dimensions..." (i'm excited/worried of how this will turn out)

I know this is starting to sound like a rant (which some of it is) but overall, just wanted your honest opinions...

Would you like to see a near exact model of the classic mini made into production?

(used to have my Id but forgot it and can't remember any details of my userid, pw, or email...)

Last edited by hoodie; 05-11-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Diny
1st Gear
I hope not.

Let the original be what it is and hold its own place. I'm personally tired of unimaginative rehashes of older models. This "retro" vibe needs to end. Mini should follow the Porsche school of design. They make very few models. Evolve them, don't recycle them.

Last edited by Diny; 05-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortionatly I doubt it.

I would like to see the box nose clubman, and the pickup do a comeback tour though.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
hoodie
Neutral
Hopefully the rocketman (i hoep they change the name) will be a good replica of the classic.

Last edited by hoodie; 05-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
hoodie
Neutral
Originally Posted by Diny
I hope not.

Let the original be what it is and hold its own place. I'm personally tired of unimaginative rehashes of older models. This "retro" vibe needs to end. LMini should follow the Porsche school of design. They make very few models. Evolve them, don't recycle them.
Well said, start by discontinuing the newer mini's and start the aging process from the classic

Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Start by reduceing the price of it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Diny
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hoodie
Well said, start by discontinuing the newer mini's and start the aging process from the classic
They have something good going on right now. The 2002 and the 2011s are basicaly the same shape but with very little change. The Mini Cooper Coupe looks excellent in my book and the new Rocketman is a nice exploration. I hope that they go in that direction. I think that it should be definitely recognizable but I don't think that it'll be in the same shape or size as the classic.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Haseo461x
2nd Gear
Think about how successful car companies would be with this concept.

Think, Ford remaking a 69' Mustang body and putting the 5.0 11' motor in it.
Mini Remaking this body style
Chevy remaking the camaro
Any company really.. it would be awesome.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
I'd like to see the retro design as an electric version!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 AM
ragtop_rob
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Haseo461x
Think about how successful car companies would be with this concept.

Think, Ford remaking a 69' Mustang body and putting the 5.0 11' motor in it.
Mini Remaking this body style
Chevy remaking the camaro
Any company really.. it would be awesome.
That really would not work - the '69 Mustang is as aerodynamic as a shoe, so MPG will be compromised. Todays safety standards would never allow those worthless dinky bumbers, you would have to redesign the whole thing. You copuld argure they could do a retro remake - well that is what they have now...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Originally Posted by hoodie
Would you like to see a near exact model of the classic mini made into production?
Sure...similar dimensions to the classic but updated to today's standards...bring it!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always thought the R53 was a great tribute to the look of the classis Mini's without being overly retro and staying relevant to the look of newer cars. If anything, I think MINI should revert back a little bit to the R53.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind they only stopped making the classic body style 11 years ago. I liked the old Mini, but never had any interest in owning one. The BMW MINI - while keeping the heritage of the classic - is a much better looking car, imho.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some interesting information and pictures of the Minki 1 & II development of a new Classic Mini concept under Rover and later BMW, here on the excellent 'Austin Memories' website.
Link to the full story:
http://www.austinmemories.com/page46/page46.html

Minki-I
"The thinking behind the replacement for the Mini started back in about 1992, while under the ownership of British Aerospace and called at that time The Rover Group.
So how was the name MINKI arrived at, simple, put a ‘K’ series engine into a Mini and you have MINKI.
At the time the general feeling was that because the design was then thirty three years old, technology had moved on so much, and with new legislation on emissions and crash testing etc., that it was best to start with a clean sheet."

The first part of the concept stage was to do an appraisal of the current Mini and see how improvements could be made.

1) Improve the powerunit, by installing the ‘K’ series engine with a 5- ---speed gearbox
2) Improve the suspension, by installing hydragas suspension.
3) Improve the driving position, by installing better seats, altering the ---rack of the steering column, and along with the fascia / controls
4) Improve its overall luggage capacity, by making it into a hatchback ----and altering the rear end package.

Minki-II
"1995 arrived, and so did BMW! They were surprised that we had such a strong brand of Mini, but no plans to do anything with it. Plans for a new Mini were required, and a ‘competition’ was set up, for later on in 1995, to decide on the route forward.
It was decided that a part of that event should be a vehicle that represented what current Mini could have become if investment and development had been put into the Mini over many years. This vehicle would then act as a better benchmark than a standard current Mini for judging what the new Mini needed to beat.
Fortunately, all of the old Minki-I stuff had just been scrapped off, so a Minki-II was hastily required! I say fortunately, because in comparison, the Minki-II project was a very grand affair! By this time, our senior management had seen BMW in operation, and were impressed by the way that they did everything properly, with very high quality prototype vehicles, excellent engineering, etc. Minki-II had to live up to this standard. Great! It was a proper project, with designers and even a few bought-out parts!"

(Minki-II can be seen on show at the Gaydon Motor Museum)

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Thanks for that info. It compelled me to do a little Googling...I found a great write up on both with pictures!

If anyone wants more info---> http://www.austinmemories.com/page46/page46.html

Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
hoodie
Neutral
Originally Posted by COOPERation
Sure...similar dimensions to the classic but updated to today's standards...bring it!

LOVE IT! See you can have the goodness of both worlds honestly i feel that if they kept the minimalistic approach it'd be pretty nice. apparently the rockeman is SUPPOSED to have the same dimensions as the classic mini...so if that's the case then i might look into trading my 5series for that!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM
hoodie
Neutral
Originally Posted by Evasive
I've always thought the R53 was a great tribute to the look of the classis Mini's without being overly retro and staying relevant to the look of newer cars. If anything, I think MINI should revert back a little bit to the R53.
I do agree.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Craig (COOPERation), are you still around? Tried to send you a message but the system said it wouldn't go through...

I have a quick question for you if you have a minute. You can PM me, or email me at michael (at) kearnsteam (dot) com.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
[quote=Mab01uk;3283448]Some interesting information and pictures of the Minki 1 & II development of a new Classic Mini concept under Rover and later BMW, here on the excellent 'Austin Memories' website.
Link to the full story:
http://www.austinmemories.com/page46/page46.html

Very interesting read and thank you.