General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Tooth Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 PM
LuvMyCoCoMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Tooth Problems?

Everyone complains that when I'm talking through the bluetooth (built into my mini) they can't hear me! They say I sound like I'm in a tunnel or very fuzzy...

Anyone else having issues with theirs? Trying to be a safe hands free driver but no one can hear me!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Derk
3rd Gear
My understanding is that (at least in earlier R56s) the microphone is actually closer to the passenger seat. There's a thread detailing how to (the seemingly simple) switch to the driver's side.

edit: I see you have a convertible! Disregard my post then.

Originally Posted by LuvMyCoCoMini
Everyone complains that when I'm talking through the bluetooth (built into my mini) they can't hear me! They say I sound like I'm in a tunnel or very fuzzy...

Anyone else having issues with theirs? Trying to be a safe hands free driver but no one can hear me!

Last edited by Derk; 05-03-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of phone are you using? There are a couple of Bluetooth protocols and the older ones are not going to produce the same sound quality.

Also, looking at your sig, you have a convertible there. I have no idea where the Bluetooth mic is in those, but maybe that's problem?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tippykayak
What kind of phone are you using? There are a couple of Bluetooth protocols and the older ones are not going to produce the same sound quality.

Also, looking at your sig, you have a convertible there. I have no idea where the Bluetooth mic is in those, but maybe that's problem?

I have the same problem on my 2011 convertible. The mic is on the steering column so the placement shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem is that the bluetooth mic sucks on these cars.

I've made a couple of threads about it and read through several others and so far there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
I have the same problem on my 2011 convertible. The mic is on the steering column so the placement shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem is that the bluetooth mic sucks on these cars.

I've made a couple of threads about it and read through several others and so far there doesn't seem to be a solution.
Bummer. I was hoping it was simply an issue with the phone being an older model (Bluetooth is currently in its 4th iteration). Placement might be OK on the steering column but perhaps the mic has not been thoughtfully enough designed for that location. I hope they didn't just take a mic system set up for the ceiling and just slap it onto the steering column.

Last edited by tippykayak; 05-03-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM
LuvMyCoCoMini
2nd Gear
Did you try to call your MINI dealership about it? I'm going to try to ask... cause it really sucks lol.... I have a brand new phone Droid X so its not the phone..... I'll let you know if I find out something

Old 05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Did you try to call your MINI dealership about it? I'm going to try to ask... cause it really sucks lol.... I have a brand new phone Droid X so its not the phone..... I'll let you know if I find out something

Please let me know what they say! I've thought about calling them but I have a feeling they'll tell me that that's just the way it is and there's nothing they can do about it. I wonder if it would be more effective calling MiniUSA directly.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
People tell me that I sound like I'm just talking on the phone, when I'm using my MINI's Bluetooth. I have a basic LG flip phone, that came free with my Verizon subscription a couple of years ago.

Just a thought, maybe MINI isn't using the latest Bluetooth protocol and that's why my older phone works fine and a newer, updated phone is having problems.

Dave

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
LuvMyCoCoMini
2nd Gear
A FIX!!!!!!!!

Ok so I got off the phone with MINI and this is what he said

The problem is that all the microphones are in fact in the passenger door... this is because the cars are made overseas and the people over there that is the driver side! They just haven't gotten to sticking the mic on the other side for the ones being sent to america

SO the fix...

He said to push the music note symbol thats next to the radio control... this will bring up the bass/treble etc controls ... on that screen to the far right you will see an arrow... select that... that will pull you up to another screen... there is an option on there to select in-dash volume (something like that) crank that all the way up... he thought the highest it would go is a 6 but he wasn't 100% sure... he said doing this has fixed the problem for most drivers!

I'll try this out when I get in my MINI... hope it works guys!!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
A FIX!!!!!!!!

Ok so I got off the phone with MINI and this is what he said

The problem is that all the microphones are in fact in the passenger door... this is because the cars are made overseas and the people over there that is the driver side! They just haven't gotten to sticking the mic on the other side for the ones being sent to america

SO the fix...

He said to push the music note symbol thats next to the radio control... this will bring up the bass/treble etc controls ... on that screen to the far right you will see an arrow... select that... that will pull you up to another screen... there is an option on there to select in-dash volume (something like that) crank that all the way up... he thought the highest it would go is a 6 but he wasn't 100% sure... he said doing this has fixed the problem for most drivers!

I'll try this out when I get in my MINI... hope it works guys!!
hrmm....

I hope that works for you but on the convertibles, like mine, the mic is on the steering wheel column, not on the passenger side. Also, I looked through all of the settings for different volume levels and did not see anything that said or resembled an in-dash volume control. The only level I found by following those steps is the speed compensated volume which automatically turns the radio volume up as your speed increases. I didn't see anything that would be related to the bluetooth mic gain level. I'll check again though just in case.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Tz Mini
Neutral
I have been trying to find a solution to this problem since I received delivery of my 2010 Clubman. I found the suggestion (on this website) about the microphone being on the wrong side of the headliner - it was on the passenger side, we followed the directions and moved it - no improvement. My dealership has adjusted the sunroof to make sure it wasn't leaking to cause more road noise - no improvement. The next time I took it in, they agreed to replace the microphone - no improvement. I complained to Mini USA and the customer service rep from BMW called me at home. He said he had never heard of this before but this seemed difficult to believe b/c someone on this forum said there was a dealership in New Jersey who was refunding the money paid for the Bluetooth option. He said that I was to let him know when I was taking it in again (this Thursday, July 28th) and to let the dealership know to try to fix it again (?). Oh, by the way, I had a top of the line LG touchscreen type phone when I first got my car and then switched to IPhone 4 eight months later - reception still very poor. Again, I can hear my caller perfectly, they cannot hear me. I'll report back once I know what BMW is going to do.....

Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Tz Mini
Neutral
Refund on it's way for blutetooth problem!!

Originally Posted by Tz Mini
I have been trying to find a solution to this problem since I received delivery of my 2010 Clubman. I found the suggestion (on this website) about the microphone being on the wrong side of the headliner - it was on the passenger side, we followed the directions and moved it - no improvement. My dealership has adjusted the sunroof to make sure it wasn't leaking to cause more road noise - no improvement. The next time I took it in, they agreed to replace the microphone - no improvement. I complained to Mini USA and the customer service rep from BMW called me at home. He said he had never heard of this before but this seemed difficult to believe b/c someone on this forum said there was a dealership in New Jersey who was refunding the money paid for the Bluetooth option. He said that I was to let him know when I was taking it in again (this Thursday, July 28th) and to let the dealership know to try to fix it again (?). Oh, by the way, I had a top of the line LG touchscreen type phone when I first got my car and then switched to IPhone 4 eight months later - reception still very poor. Again, I can hear my caller perfectly, they cannot hear me. I'll report back once I know what BMW is going to do.....
No one could find a solution for the above problem. After a servicing appt at my dealershp I filled out one of those online surveys that they send you. They asked if I would like to be contacted by Mini USA/BMW and I said yes. Someone from customer service dept. called and after explaning the situation and he contacted my dealership for verification, a check for $500. is on it's way. I am happy about that but still can't use my Bluetooth system over 40 mph. I will keep checking back to see if anyone comes up with another solution. Already moved microphone to driver's side, had sunroof seal replace and replacement mic installed.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Boxcar
1st Gear
It's possible this might qualify for Lemon laws. It's completely unacceptable that the mic is not on the driver side. It can not be that big of a deal to move the mic for North America.

With a lot of states not allowing non hands free talking not to mention the added safety, this is crazy. I have two cars with Bluetooth ( one a BMW and a Subaru) both work great.

On order 2012 BRG hardtop . I hope Mini resolved by now.

May seem good that they offered you $500, but really they are trying to stop a lawsuit.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
I'd love for them to refund the 500 bucks I spent on the bluetooth/ipod piece of crap. My bluetooth doesn't work and I had to go spend 80 bucks on a Jabra. And my ipod connection doesn't work with my iphone. When I plug it in I get a message that it's incompatible. I spent 500 bucks for absolutely nothing. It's a huge inconvenience for me to take my car to the dealer though so I'll have to wait until something else breaks or until it's due for service.

TZ, by any chance did Mini give you phone number or email address to contact their customer service dept through? If anything, I'd like to call them and at least start a case # on this problem so I can eventually request a refund of the 500 bucks.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Boxcar
1st Gear
Not sure about Mini but in the BMW the IPhone will work as I pod but can't use as phone at the same time. Wish you could use both.

Very surprised to hear the issues with bluetooth as it works great in our BMW. By the way I have a Bose Bluetooth headset and it seems to be the best one I have used as far a sound goes. Seems to have good noise cancelation properties.

I am not a lawyer, but again depending on your States Lemon Laws , the blue tooth issue may allow you to make a lemon law complaint. If you accept the $500.00 it may diminish your case. I would only use that if you have a lot of issues and seem to get poor service on them.

I do not think Mini would offer a refund if they could make it right at this time. Considering how long they have been producing cars for North America, it makes no sense they can not.

Now I am not litigious by nature so accepting the money may make the most sense , especially if you like the car otherwise. My car should be in by early October. Really hope I like the bluetooth or Mini develops a fix. I really want to enjoy the ownership.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
I think the lemon law in florida only applies to conditions that make the car not drivable. I think.... I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I don't want a lemon law claim. I just want either a working bluetooth or a refund for the money I spent on it.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Boxcar
1st Gear
If someone wanted this feature in the car and it is the reason they ordered the Mini, then getting a refund would not really address the problem. On the other hand if if getting the money back makes it right I think that is great.

in reading some of the thread , some Mini Owners concerns about other issues have not been treated very well. This might be an Ace in the sleeve so to speak.

A car has many parts, it is not realistic to never expect any mechanical issues. If you can get them resolved in a fair and reasonable way, that is OK in my book.
The trouble is sometimes the dealers and manufacturers so not make it easy.

The sad part is they spend a lot of money on advertising and promotion to get you into their car. It usually cost a lot less to keep you happy.

Hope Mini fixes the bluetooth.