General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an extra Comfort Access key

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Drummini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an extra Comfort Access key

2008 Clubman
I have seen the same three button remote key (fob) that I use for my Mini Cooper on eBay. I have Comfort Access. Are these compatible with just any Mini that uses the same style remote key?
I only have one remote key and want a back up. I have seen here on the forum how to reprogram these remote keys, but wonder if there are differing remote keys.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand a key fob has to be ordered by VIN number.

The Comfort Access fob looks identical to the non CA fob on the front - same buttons. They are different internally. The CA fob has a replaceable battery, the non CA fob has rechargeable battery.
The CA fob has a slot to pry off the back cover. I am not sure about the non CA fob on the back. Looking at a photo in the owners manual it appears like there is no slot on the back of the non CA one, but I have not seen one in person.

According to my dealer, there can only be 2 CA fobs associated to a single MINI. I think you can have more than 2 non CA fobs but not sure?

You can NOT program the CA portion of the fob yourself. Must be done at a dealer.
The dealer / transport comp. lost one of my fobs on delivery so the dealer ordered me another one and mailed it to me. The remote buttons worked on the new fob, but the CA portion did not work until I made a 200 mile trip to my nearest dealer and had it programmed. The lost fob had to be deactivated and new one programmed in (according to what the dealer told me).

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Drummini
Neutral
Can the the non CA fob be programed as shown below from a NNM post, to at least start the Mini if put in the the ignition slot? That alone would be good enough to use until I could order one using the vin number, and getting a CA fob from a dealer.

Sit in the driver's seat of the vehicle with all the keys.
Insert one key into the ignition switch and turn to the "2D" position. The dash lights should come on. Remove the key. Do not turn the ignition off.
Press and hold the "Unlock" button on the remote. Press the center "Lock" button three times while holding the "Unlock" button on the remote. Release the "Unlock" button at the same time as the "Lock" button after the third press.
Repeat Step 3 for the second key within 30 seconds of completing the first key's programming.
Turn the ignition off. Exit the vehicle and test the remotes.

Last edited by Drummini; 02-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
That procedure is for programming remote unlock only, and I believe it is only for the older 1st gen MINI ("turn the key to 2D position"). It absolutely will not program the key for the ignition, which must done by the dealer. If you think about it, it is a big security risk if anybody can break into your car and program a key to start it up with a few simple steps.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Drummini
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
That procedure is for programming remote unlock only, and I believe it is only for the older 1st gen MINI ("turn the key to 2D position"). It absolutely will not program the key for the ignition, which must done by the dealer. If you think about it, it is a big security risk if anybody can break into your car and program a key to start it up with a few simple steps.
Ok...
Would you advise buying this mini key fob off ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT) and then taking it to the dealer to have programed to a least start the car? Or will this just not work at all?
If I am going to spend $300 to buy an extra mini key fob from a dealer and then another $175 to have it programed because it is a CA key....I want to know I have no other choice.
I do appreciated the input from all here. I am on a steep learning curve at this point....

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't have direct experience and can't give you a definitive answer, but from what I see online, a dealer cannot program a used key for the ignition on a different car. It does seem odd because it allow the key start two different cars. However, the remote unlock seems to be programmable.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could do the following which someone posted about (can't find the thread at the moment). He purchased a new programmed non-remote key from the dealer (much cheaper than a remote key). He also purchased a used remote key from eBay. The smartchip inside the key is what allows it to start the ignition. So he opened up both keys and transferred the smartchip from the new key into the eBay key. He ends up with an eBay key that can start his car, and then programmed the remote unlock function. Going this route, the amount you would save is the price difference between a new remote and non-remote key from the dealer, minus the cost of the eBay key.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Drummini
Neutral
For the money that might save....I can be adventurous. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 PM
camillers
Neutral
sooo after barely 2 years of having my mini convertible, which i LOVE driving even tho it's caused me nothing but grief in the short time i've had it, i've managed to lose both keys! both times in cabs, which are the black hole of lost and found. a truly expensive mistake.

i just paid $262 to get another key. at the ontario, ca dealer, the mini parts guy told me there's ONE guy in jersey who apparently cuts all the keys for usa mini. believable? eh who cares. i had my car towed in on monday, showed my license and registration and coughed up the cash upfront. they said it should take about 1-2 business days. i got a called less than 24 hours later saying my key was in [i'm doubting the time frame in which someone across the country at 5pm was able to get the order in, cut the key and ship it out next day...].

now, i talked to the dealer on the phone on monday morning. both service and parts. service said i'd have to have the key programmed and it would run me anywhere from 130-260. then they transferred me to parts and he quoted me $262. i asked if i then had to pay additional for programming. he said no. i told him i had comfort access. he said that the new minis came pre-programmed because people had complained about the high cost of keys, etc. and that the new mini keys came programmed to the vin. so i was stoked that i wouldnt have to pay an additional $100+ after already paying so much for a stupid plastic key.

after i got my key today, i realized the car started which was fantastic of course. but the comfort access didn't work. i was tired of having to argue with the dbags that work at dealerships and left since i have to come back for another part - foglight cover (that the tow guy broke off when he was towing me to the garage btw).

anyone have a clue as to how or if you can program the comfort access on your key fob by yourself??? seems like you should be able to do it yourself... i mean, WTF?! i paid a ***** ton of money for all these extra features ALREADY when i bought the car. you gotta be friggin kidding me that you want me to pay for it again after paying almost 3 bills for another key.

i'm soooo pissed right now. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM
klricks
4th Gear
The remote buttons will work but the car and key must go to the dealer to have the CA functions programmed. See post #2 above.
Might be cheaper for you to have your fob surgically implanted.......

Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
sean5294
2nd Gear
All keys are cut and programmed by BMW in New Jersey. I send at least three orders there a day. The CA keys come programed and ready to go when we receive them. They are ordered per the vin of your vehicle. Hope this helps

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drummini...I've thought of something that might help you become reunited with your lost keys, the next ones that is. Check out...http://www.boomerangit.com/. I know it sounds funny, but if it works isn't it worth it??!!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sean5294
All keys are cut and programmed by BMW in New Jersey. I send at least three orders there a day. The CA keys come programed and ready to go when we receive them. They are ordered per the vin of your vehicle. Hope this helps
Unless something has changed in the last year or so, the CA function must be programmed at the dealer with car and key fob(s) both present. When I bought my Clubman, 1 key was lost somewhere between the VDC and the dealer.
The dealer ordered me a 2nd CA fob and mailed it to me. The new CA key fob worked like a normal key without CA. The buttons on the fob worked and it would start the engine if placed in the cradle. but none of the CA functions worked until I made a 200 mile trip to the dealer to have the new key fob programmed. Took about half an hour or so. I was told that only 2 CA fobs can be associated with a system and the lost key has to be removed from the programming as well as the new key programmed in.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by klricks
Unless something has changed in the last year or so, the CA function must be programmed at the dealer with car and key fob(s) both present. When I bought my Clubman, 1 key was lost somewhere between the VDC and the dealer.
The dealer ordered me a 2nd CA fob and mailed it to me. The new CA key fob worked like a normal key without CA. The buttons on the fob worked and it would start the engine if placed in the cradle. but none of the CA functions worked until I made a 200 mile trip to the dealer to have the new key fob programmed. Took about half an hour or so. I was told that only 2 CA fobs can be associated with a system and the lost key has to be removed from the programming as well as the new key programmed in.
Yup your correct, I was thinking about something else.