General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mini Cooper S JCW clutch engagement point

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Sajuuk Khar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW clutch engagement point

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to pick up a used 2006 Mini Cooper S JCW with 104,000km on it.

The problem I am having with the car is the clutch engagement point is very high, almost to the very top of the pedal.

It makes driving the car in first slowly very hard, and launching smoothly is difficult.

Ive driven an 02 Mini Cooper S without the JCW package and the cluth felt more normal with the engagement point about 1/4 to 1/2 way up the pedal.

For those who have experience with this JCW car when it was new, was the engagement point on the clutch very high up?

Is there anyway to adjust the engagement point?

I know normally if its that high its a sign that the clutch is almost gone, but the car had the transmission replaced with a used one and the shop said the clutch looked brand new

Any thoughts?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 06 JCW MINI uses the same clutch & transmission as an 2006 MCS. Like all clutches as it wears it will grab closer to the top of the peddle travel. My 06 MCS never did have it's clutch grab at the floor. More in the middle of the stroke.

Look closely & determine if the clutch is close to being worn out. It is an expensive job to replace a clutch on a MINI.

Good luck....

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is probably 1/3 off the floor

Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Sajuuk Khar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Mine is probably 1/3 off the floor
That seems about right to me. Is there anyway to change the engagement point?

The transmission shop says the clutch and throw out bearing are almost brand new, so I cant understand why it would be so high then..

someone is lieing to me at the shop or there is something not right with this car.

I also noticed the shift **** is pretty stiff to move between gears, is this normal for this car?

I test drove an 02 MCS and the shifter was not this stiff...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Sajuuk Khar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
The 06 JCW MINI uses the same clutch & transmission as an 2006 MCS. Like all clutches as it wears it will grab closer to the top of the peddle travel. My 06 MCS never did have it's clutch grab at the floor. More in the middle of the stroke.

Look closely & determine if the clutch is close to being worn out. It is an expensive job to replace a clutch on a MINI.

Good luck....
Hmm ok. The car had the transmission go and they replaced it with a used one, they said the clutch and throw out bearing looked brand new. The shop sears by it, so I cant understand why the engagement point would be so high. Usually like you said that means the clutch is going.

But if the clutch is "new" what else could cause it to be that high and is there any way to adjust it??

Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I for the life of me can't see why a shop would not put a new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing in when they had the transmission out.

You also say that it shifts hard. It should not. Mine with 77,000 miles shifts like butter, smooth.

I don't think it can be adjusted. It is a hydraulic clutch.

From what you have said here I would pass on this particular MINI.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Sajuuk Khar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
I for the life of me can't see why a shop would not put a new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing in when they had the transmission out.

You also say that it shifts hard. It should not. Mine with 77,000 miles shifts like butter, smooth.

I don't think it can be adjusted. It is a hydraulic clutch.

From what you have said here I would pass on this particular MINI.
Exactly! The tranny shop said the clutch and Bearing looked brand new. I am being told it was modefied by previous owner and has a "dual stage" clutch. Not sure what that means and if that is the cause for the high engagement point, as they say the clutch looks new.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar
I also noticed the shift **** is pretty stiff to move between gears, is this normal for this car?

I test drove an 02 MCS and the shifter was not this stiff...
I test drove several cars before ordering my 2006. They all shifted very smoothly!