General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Haag75
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished up the steel supports for my front spiltter. And just ordered a Sneed4Speed rear wing for the added rear down force. Should see that later this week. Getting ready for this up coming race season.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you doing turnbuckles on the splitter? How will you adjust it?

Also, this is pretty serious modding! Are you legit racing it?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haag75... Wow, that's some serious splitter.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Haag75
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right now it is set dead flat to the ride of the chassis. There are a couple of brackets that I built that mount to the frame behind the core support that can be adjusted up or down to change the angle of attack. The ride height is exactly 3" with my 17" wheels and 2.5" with my 15" wheels.
And yes I do race wheel to wheel in NASA. It lost the ability to legally drive on the street years ago, so it is strictly a track car. I do miss my drives up the canyons though.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today, all I could do is look longingly at my Clubman in the garage. For the past week she's been resting on jack stands, without any struts or shocks, while I impatiently await delivery of some KW Variant 2 coilovers from Way Motor Works.

Last weekend, I replaced the OEM rear sway bar with a Hotchkis 25mm Competition rear sway bar, and also replaced the lower rear control arms with a set of adjustable ones from Hotchkis.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Pulled the K&N intake from my '05 JCW and installed the stock JCW with an Amsoil filter. The hesitation on the WOT from idle (with gulping sound) is gone. This happened on all of my R53s as well with aftermarket intakes.. you get more supercharger wine, but I wonder if the performance is actually worse.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Haag75
Right now it is set dead flat to the ride of the chassis. There are a couple of brackets that I built that mount to the frame behind the core support that can be adjusted up or down to change the angle of attack. The ride height is exactly 3" with my 17" wheels and 2.5" with my 15" wheels.
And yes I do race wheel to wheel in NASA. It lost the ability to legally drive on the street years ago, so it is strictly a track car. I do miss my drives up the canyons though.
Awesome!

Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Pulled the K&N intake from my '05 JCW and installed the stock JCW with an Amsoil filter. The hesitation on the WOT from idle (with gulping sound) is gone. This happened on all of my R53s as well with aftermarket intakes.. you get more supercharger wine, but I wonder if the performance is actually worse.
Might be an intake tuning resonance thing?

Old 02-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Switched to my summer wheel set.
No sense using the snows when it's 60 degrees out!

Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Loyal242
Switched to my summer wheel set.
No sense using the snows when it's 60 degrees out!
Brave. Hopefully an early Spring.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Decided to do some garage cleaning on Saturday, since it was relatively mild outside. Backed the Roadster out and noticed I should maybe take some pictures before our snow decides to go away. It's the second deepest snow cover we've had in 22 years here at this house.

Depth got to 43" on our snow stake the end of last 14" snow storm on Wednesday-Thursday. The most we've had on the ground at the snow stake was 48", back in the late 1990s. The Roadster's parked in front an area where I had to blow some snow off the driveway due to the wind... the other side of the driveway is where I normally stash the snow, and it's piled up a tad more.

The pics are not retouched and in color but they are crappy phone pics under cloudy conditions. And don't try the telephoto like on the first shot below. Even using a little still makes the picture grainy...

After I put the Mini away, the sun tried break out, so got it back out on the driveway for an attempt at a brighter picture... you can almost see a shadow, but not much brighter than the others...

Really hoping the roads dry out this week, so I can do some errands I've been saving up and get in some top down driving. Supposed to get to the upper 40s by Wednesday.

Is it Spring yet?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Installed the awesome CravenSpeed short throw shifter!

Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Decided to do some garage cleaning on Saturday, since it was relatively mild outside. Backed the Roadster out and noticed I should maybe take some pictures before our snow decides to go away. It's the second deepest snow cover we've had in 22 years here at this house.

Depth got to 43" on our snow stake the end of last 14" snow storm on Wednesday-Thursday. The most we've had on the ground at the snow stake was 48", back in the late 1990s. The Roadster's parked in front an area where I had to blow some snow off the driveway due to the wind... the other side of the driveway is where I normally stash the snow, and it's piled up a tad more.

The pics are not retouched and in color but they are crappy phone pics under cloudy conditions. And don't try the telephoto like on the first shot below. Even using a little still makes the picture grainy...

After I put the Mini away, the sun tried break out, so got it back out on the driveway for an attempt at a brighter picture... you can almost see a shadow, but not much brighter than the others...

Really hoping the roads dry out this week, so I can do some errands I've been saving up and get in some top down driving. Supposed to get to the upper 40s by Wednesday.

Is it Spring yet?
Wow, looks great! Mini looks sharp with or without the sun! Always love the pics with the Mini and the snow.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Wow, looks great! Mini looks sharp with or without the sun! Always love the pics with the Mini and the snow.
Thanks! Have lost about 15" of the depth already in less than a week and it's almost 50 degrees today.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Thanks! Have lost about 15" of the depth already in less than a week and it's almost 50 degrees today.
Oh geez... is the 50-deg normal for this time of year? Or a little on the warm side?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the bulbs in the driving lights. Was much more of a job than I thought and found a bunch of rust in the driving light housing. Just going to have to toss them and replace the whole light now. Have you checked your driving lights laterly?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Oh geez... is the 50-deg normal for this time of year? Or a little on the warm side?
A lot on the warm side for this day. Hit 52 this afternoon. Normal high would be 31 today. We seem to jump briefly in and then back out of Winter pretty often. We had 3 or 4 days that stayed about 10 degrees lower than normal a week ago while we got a couple of good snow storms.

Sketchy Winter weather has been happening for quite a few years up this way. At least we accumulated some good snow for a change. We'll see if we can keep some snow on the ground into March this year. Would be nice.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
Finally got around to replacing the bulbs in the driving lights. Was much more of a job than I thought and found a bunch of rust in the driving light housing. Just going to have to toss them and replace the whole light now. Have you checked your driving lights laterly?

After you replace your lights, to keep the rust away, try turning on the lights at the end of your drive, especially if you've been thru rain, drizzle or fog. Heat from the bulbs will dry out the moisture and should help keep that rust from forming.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I have seen that on very old lights / high miles. Yes getting the moisture out after a driving in the rain, also the caps help divert water if you don't use the lights that often.

Part # 63120137303 for the whole light housing, the cap is part # 63120144065

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-oem-hel.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Adjusted windows

Finally got around to adjusting the passenger window in my R52, which would leak at car washes. There was a little more than a fingernail gap that was driving me crazy. After ordering 2 adjustment tools, I finally found one that works.

Rotate the gears clockwise to loosen, unlike what I've read in threads here.

Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
Check out this set on ebay. Is the rusted part the bowl that reflects the light or is there another bowl that bolts on?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2008-Mi...JYk7GV&vxp=mtr

Last edited by burley; 02-23-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Last night I put the ALTA BOV spring replacement in. Today my coilovers come. Tomorrow I should be able to finish the rear suspension. 22mm rear sway bar, coilovers, lower control arms and end links.

All I need now is some fresh rubber for my new 949 6ul wheels.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Finally got around to adjusting the passenger window in my R52, which would leak at car washes. There was a little more than a fingernail gap that was driving me crazy. After ordering 2 adjustment tools, I finally found one that works.

Rotate the gears clockwise to loosen, unlike what I've read in threads here.

Check out this set on ebay. Is the rusted part the bowl that reflects the light or is there another bowl that bolts on?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2008-Mi...JYk7GV&vxp=mtr

Good job burley. I'm OCD too especially on windows and the like.

The inner housing was all rusted inside. The light bolts up fine and I can by with just replacing the bulb for now, but in a few weeks I'll order the lights from ECS.

Hey ECS thanks a bunch for directing me to the PDF files on the lights. Much appreciated.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome.

The back window on the R52 can be a pain, i have adjusted mine also with that tool: 83300494251 Window Regulator Nut Wrench

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tor-parts.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 AM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fixed my trio of warning lights - ABS, ASC and tyre pressure. It is a new hub and new sensor and I couldn't find any faults in the wiring. The metal seal ring had fallen out of the bearing and was rattling around on the axle boot. No idea how it happened but I cleaned the gunk off the inside of the wheel bearing and tapped it back in with a mallet and all fixed!

Now to make a tensioner tool to swap in my 15% pulley!

James

Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installed the Mini Sport Antennae some weeks ago

Last edited by Paul S.; 02-26-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: deleted some info

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?