General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The girl who owned my first MINI before me had the windows tinted to 5%! It was HORRIBLE, I hated driving that car at night with the windows up, you couldnt see anything.

My current MINI has 30% all the way around and for me its perfect, it looks good durring the day, and you can still retain your situational awareness at night.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 30% tint on my glass (except the windshield, obviously), and I find it is absolutely necessary in the Mini. It's the only car I have ever tinted. The sun just beats down on you in that car during the summer.

That being said, who can make eye contact in the dark? I hardly make eye contact even during the day when I am driving, let alone at night.

As long as you have your headlights on while you are driving at night, I see you. No need to be worried.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
The girl who owned my first MINI before me had the windows tinted to 5%! It was HORRIBLE, I hated driving that car at night with the windows up, you couldnt see anything.

My current MINI has 30% all the way around and for me its perfect, it looks good durring the day, and you can still retain your situational awareness at night.
Yeah, 5% would be a bit much. I have 5% on my sunroof which combined with the factory tint is probably like 1% lol. Tint is illegal in PA and I have heard stories of people being pulled over just for having any of it and being ordered to have it removed. I have been lucky so far. Over a year with tint and no tickets. Not even a warning. Knock on wood.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
miniforceny
2nd Gear
1. Installed XPEL healight protection
2. Installed Armrest.
3. Installed OEM rear shades
4. Installed seat belt holders
5. Installed short antena
6. Fixed the dent

Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINImal lag
It creates an unsafe situation when tint is dark enough so that other drivers can't be sure that you see them, i.e., that eye contact is not assured. It's a pet peeve of mine about tint that is darker than factory glass on front windows.
haha....what a bunch of crap. Are you 90 years old or something? SO many other things to worry about than tint on windows. Let me list a few for you.

1. drunk drivers
2. texting drivers
3. drivers talking on their phone
4. drivers eating breakfast/lunch/dinner
5. teen drivers
6. very old drivers with the reaction time of a sloth
7. drivers camped in the fast lane going 10 under the limit
8. distracted soccer moms in suburbans yelling at their 6 kids in the back
9. drivers in a constant state of road rage
10. tailgaters

This friggin list could go on forever and tint would still not be on it............

And what's with the eye contact? You look every driver you see on the road in the eyes? I suggest you try keeping your eyes on the road.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyCuth
Yeah, 5% would be a bit much. I have 5% on my sunroof which combined with the factory tint is probably like 1% lol. Tint is illegal in PA and I have heard stories of people being pulled over just for having any of it and being ordered to have it removed. I have been lucky so far. Over a year with tint and no tickets. Not even a warning. Knock on wood.
I have 35% on the front door windows, and 13% the rest of the way around. Factory tint on the moonroof, but always blocked with the Zippee Shade. One of these days I am going to get a roof graphic to cover the moonroof glass.

Tint is not optional in AZ....

I guess I'll avoid Pennsyltucky, then, if the fuzz can order you to have your tint removed....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
I guess I'll avoid Pennsyltucky, then, if the fuzz can order you to have your tint removed....

C ya,
Dutch
Many states have laws against tint. Here in NY the legal limit is around 35% (I say around b/c when you apply a 35% tint to a slightly tinted window it is darker than 35% and they will get you for it if they want to). If you're caught they give you a ticket for an equipment violation, you have something like 24 or 48 hrs to remove/fix the violation and have the ticket dismissed or you end up paying the fine (last I remember it was around $60 but that was maybe 10 years ago when I got nabbed). I'm pretty sure that's how most states do it just with varying degrees of limitations and fines.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I'm with Yoda, my tinted windows don't cause any issue for others IMO.
I'm a safe driver and have never been in an accident(63 years old). I've avoided many from idiot other drivers, however.
I stated in an earlier post, it is a little hard to see out the side glass if it's pitch dark out and not lights, I am smart enough to open the window though.
Eye contact, well, I've done that route before and the other driver pulled out anyway.
I'll save my interior and keep cool and keep the tint.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx
Many states have laws against tint. Here in NY the legal limit is around 35% (I say around b/c when you apply a 35% tint to a slightly tinted window it is darker than 35% and they will get you for it if they want to). If you're caught they give you a ticket for an equipment violation, you have something like 24 or 48 hrs to remove/fix the violation and have the ticket dismissed or you end up paying the fine (last I remember it was around $60 but that was maybe 10 years ago when I got nabbed). I'm pretty sure that's how most states do it just with varying degrees of limitations and fines.
I think PAs limit is 70% (seriously!)... You can get 50% if you have some kind of problem with your eyes/sunlight, but that requires a doctor's note! It's seriously a bit ridiculous.

All I know is, after a few months in the summer in my Mini, tint became a must have. I could feel the sun burning me through the window in my driver's seat, even with the A/C full blast.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
I have 35% on the front door windows, and 13% the rest of the way around. Factory tint on the moonroof, but always blocked with the Zippee Shade. One of these days I am going to get a roof graphic to cover the moonroof glass.

Tint is not optional in AZ....

C ya,
Dutch
the 5% on the roof is highly recommended if you don't care for the sun. I love the sunroof. The only reason I tinted it was to protect the interior a little better.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
the 5% on the roof is highly recommended if you don't care for the sun. I love the sunroof. The only reason I tinted it was to protect the interior a little better.
I have a roof graphic in mind, and it'll avoid the heat well, since it's on the outside of the glass. Imagine this, with the corners rounded to fit the moonroof:

Just gotta get it done.

Oh, and this on my original antenna, for club events:

C ya,
Dutch

Last edited by joe_bfstplk; 03-13-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added a bit....
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Installed my new shift **** today

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Installed my new shift **** today
I call that the OLD SCHOOL look.
I like it. Brings me back to the good 'ole days'.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
jusso
1st Gear
Just bought Konig Feathers !!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
I call that the OLD SCHOOL look.
I like it. Brings me back to the good 'ole days'.
exactly what I was going for. I love old school hot rods (real hot rods, aka rat rods) and have always tried my best to try to incorporate some of the styling into my cars (I'm just compensating for not owning a hot rod myself.... one day).

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
SpeedyDD
2nd Gear
I used my AC for the first time today! We're having a heat wave in WI this month, with temps all the way up to 60 degrees today, and near 80 predicted for tomorrow. Don't think it's severe enough to warrant window tinting yet (I think it's legal here, but not very common), but I may have to put away my down jacket!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
minicooper1985
3rd Gear
Got a wash and took some pics. I'll start another thread here in a few.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
exactly what I was going for. I love old school hot rods (real hot rods, aka rat rods) and have always tried my best to try to incorporate some of the styling into my cars (I'm just compensating for not owning a hot rod myself.... one day).
Sounds like we may need to meet up at the Peconic riverfront on Thursday nights.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
OK so I just continued on my hog wild spending spree with my tax refund. Ordered a Mini-Madness 22 in rear sway bar and front brace. Still need a 15% pulley and I want to get the GTT Mid Brace as well... Some Koenig Feathers would be nice too... But I am done for this year.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Thanks, I'm guessing less is more, as with any quality product.
Giggles...just a Pea Size amount goes a long way!! I use it on a Yellow Foam Sponge Pad...that combo works great!!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's my B-Day today, so I went for a ride in my MINI!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
rescay
1st Gear
Installed Koni Yellows and Swift springs front and rear along with an H-Sport competition rear sway bar. My H-Sport adjustable rear camber links arrive tomorrow from WMW and that'll be going in next then it's off to get an alignment.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK so I just continued on my hog wild spending spree with my tax refund. Ordered a Mini-Madness 22 in rear sway bar and front brace. Still need a 15% pulley and I want to get the GTT Mid Brace as well... Some Koenig Feathers would be nice too... But I am done for this year.
Sounds good but I would leave out the GTT mmid brace. The TSW/WMW X-brace does a way better job at stiffening the chassis, and can be installed in 10 minutes.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Sounds good but I would leave out the GTT mmid brace. The TSW/WMW X-brace does a way better job at stiffening the chassis, and can be installed in 10 minutes.
I hear you bro, but I spent about as much on both of these as I would have on the cross brace.

This guy http://www.billswebspace.com/mcs.htm has a great site that I am following.

I know you are working on your own build too... I am just looking for a reliable daily driver that will last as long as I can make it. Not worried about racing it. He seemed to like the combo of the MM brace with the GTT mid brace... I dunno. All I know is my mini tramlines like a sumogun.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Finally got my running lights up and going. A bit of a pain to install and by no means a perfect fitting, but I think it'll work out. Now to make sure my dealership doesn't mess it up when they do the recall on Friday.
I'm digging the look though

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?