General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Wheelie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update...

So as of Monday 11-29 I am now a paddle shifting, JCW tuning kit Clubman I love how the JCW tune changed the shift points.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SMOG1 - The Aisin TF-60SN automatic transmission is made by Aisin in Japan and they are the supplier of all Toyota automatic transmissions and are probably owned by Toyota. This transmission is used in several other cars, VW as the model 09G or 09M and Audi models, some Volvos, Mazdas, and Fords (note Ford owns part of Mazda and until recently owned Volvo), Saab etc. That is why the Toyota Type T-IV fluid is used which is readily and cheaply available at Toyota dealers and insanely overpriced by MINI, although I used Mobil 1 when I did a change.
http://www.altousa.com/images/new_products/np151.pdf

Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelie
So as of Monday 11-29 I am now a paddle shifting, JCW tuning kit Clubman I love how the JCW tune changed the shift points.
yeah, it's a gas, isnt it? Ive yet to hear of one auto owner that's not happy with their tune kit because the engine and tranny respond so well together, performance-wise.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:45 AM
WC50418
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
MCSa sould I be concerned with 90k on it?

Hi,
You auto drivers are the experts and I was wondering if a 90k mile 2006 MCSa will give me reliable service. I just can't bring myself to drive my WC50 in bad weather so I have a line on an auto MCS. Just for kicks I called the Mini dealer to check replacement costs on a new tranny, get this, are you sitting down... 8 grand installed! With the higher mileage should I be concerned? Does anyone know the typical service life is on an auto MCS. It is driving fine and shifts great now, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
tntplante
1st Gear
03 Vr Mc

Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
got my 2011 white silver automatic cooper almost a month ago!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Tomas_siba
3rd Gear
i just got an 05 mcs auto almost a week ago, so far i have been very happy in comparison to my vw.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Love the paddles on my 05 so much that I also got the paddles on my 03 350z installed.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 AM
intropiles
Neutral
Originally Posted by Wheelie
I also love the JCW tune so keep us on updated. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Torri91
3rd Gear
2011 MCS Automatic with the paddles/manual overide

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
2004 r50 cvt here!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Automatic W/RMW Tune

Originally Posted by Davidoyo
The RMW Tune lived up to and beyond my expectations. The only problem i have is keeping myself from speeding as it is very easy to go fast now. It is a much better bang for your buck than the JCW package IMO. I have nothing against the JCW package, but I just can't justify spending all that money for what you get.
I am installing a 2.5" Milltek Exhaust system as we speak. The car is in the air and the stock exhaust is waiting for an extra pair of hands to help me lower it to the floor. Milltek bolts on, no cutting, so it could be put back to stock. The JCW cuts pipes after the last CAT. The factory downpipe, through the first CAT is 2.5" and then necks down to 2.164" through the second CAT and then goes to 2.174" after that last CAT through the resonator and to the muffler. Once this is rectified I am scheduling an RMW Tune for my Automatic ride.

What did you do for an CAI? JCW Airbox and Piping?

Well, after the better part of a day and two minds working on the issues we got the Milltek installed. Nice sound. PITA to install to get it lined up properly. It appears that the muffler hanger extensions are not as long as they should be. Will be having a chat with Milltek...

S.

Last edited by SMOG; 12-31-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Milltek Installed
Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
hey, so, as I've posted on here, I got my '11 justacooper with an automatic, and I really want to start learning how to use the manual shift mode. It can definitely add more fun to the driving experience, and definitely save some wear on the brakes. I tried it once, but didn't want to screw around too much. I'm pretty good with upshifting, I can tell when to do so just by the engine noise and obvi the tach, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of downshifting. Sounds stupid, so sorry in advance, but again, I haven't really practiced it that much. I've never driven a manual, so my knowledge base is minimal.

So my questions are:
downshifting, is it better to have your foot on the brake when doing so?
how do you know when it's the right time to downshift? should i pay more attention to the tach, or to the engine noise?
Any other tips/threads anyone can recommend me to for more insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
downshifting automatics to save brakes

Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
hey, so, as I've posted on here, I got my '11 justacooper with an automatic, and I really want to start learning how to use the manual shift mode. It can definitely add more fun to the driving experience, and definitely save some wear on the brakes. I tried it once, but didn't want to screw around too much. I'm pretty good with upshifting, I can tell when to do so just by the engine noise and obvi the tach, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of downshifting. Sounds stupid, so sorry in advance, but again, I haven't really practiced it that much. I've never driven a manual, so my knowledge base is minimal.

So my questions are:
how do you know when it's the right time to downshift? should i pay more attention to the tach, or to the engine noise?
Any other tips/threads anyone can recommend me to for more insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Here is something to think about. What costs more, transmission or brakes? The automatic knows your speed when braking and shifts accordingly. If you want to grab a lower gear for acceleration out of a corner then use the paddles. IMHO.

S.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG-1
Here is something to think about. What costs more, transmission or brakes? The automatic knows your speed when braking and shifts accordingly. If you want to grab a lower gear for acceleration out of a corner then use the paddles. IMHO.

S.
I know that brakes cost less than having to replace a transmission, but I've also heard that it's pretty hard to screw a transmission up by using the manual mode, because the car simply won't let you do anything damaging. Mine doesn't have the paddles, and my interest in using the manual mode isn't so that I can shoot past someone on the highway, but just to learn how to go through the gears myself. I'm a commuter for college, and my school is located in a mountainous area, lots of twisty roads where the manual mode might be more fun to use than the automatic.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
You will definitely like Manual Mode.

S.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG-1
You will definitely like Manual Mode.

S.

thanks! but I still have to figure out how to use it properly! So anymore tips/tricks anyone thinks I should know, please, inform me

Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The paddles are hard to use when turning left or right from a stop. I've seen some cars with paddle shifters, where the paddles are attached to the steering column, so they don't rotate with the steering wheel. When turning, I use the floor shifter.

Dave

Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 AM
MarcMa
2nd Gear

So my questions are:
I wouldn't brake for down shifting but I will take my foot off of the accelerator. If I'm using the paddle shifters I'm driving aggressively, so I'd downshift between 3-3.5k. Maybe up to 4k if I'm really on it. The trick is to keep it in the power band.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
thanks! but I still have to figure out how to use it properly! So anymore tips/tricks anyone thinks I should know, please, inform me
Take your MINI out on a Flat Surface Road (don't use Manual Mode this time), listen and take note of where the Shifting Points are, then take it to the road you drive most often, your twisty road to school, again without using Manual Mode, take notes. Then get back on the Flat Surface Road and try to duplicate the Shifting Points, note that that may be anywhere from 2200 to 3000rpm, do the same for your Twisty Road...see if that gets you any closer to operating your MINI to your satisfaction and hopefully will save you a Transmission in the long run!!

Hope this helps, I'm also trying to use Manual Mode more, I've given up on the Paddle Shifters, due to not being able to use them and DRIVE at the same time...it's a GIRL thing I thinK??!!

On a Bright Note since I'm coming up on my Free Maintenance Ending (I know we pay for it in the long run, don't need any flap about that) I'm definitely trying to make sure Sport Mode is on before I leave the Driveway!! Don't know why I was afraid of using it before...NOW...all I can say is WOOOOO HOOOO!!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Take your MINI out on a Flat Surface Road (don't use Manual Mode this time), listen and take note of where the Shifting Points are, then take it to the road you drive most often, your twisty road to school, again without using Manual Mode, take notes. Then get back on the Flat Surface Road and try to duplicate the Shifting Points, note that that may be anywhere from 2200 to 3000rpm, do the same for your Twisty Road...see if that gets you any closer to operating your MINI to your satisfaction and hopefully will save you a Transmission in the long run!!

Hope this helps, I'm also trying to use Manual Mode more, I've given up on the Paddle Shifters, due to not being able to use them and DRIVE at the same time...it's a GIRL thing I thinK??!!

On a Bright Note since I'm coming up on my Free Maintenance Ending (I know we pay for it in the long run, don't need any flap about that) I'm definitely trying to make sure Sport Mode is on before I leave the Driveway!! Don't know why I was afraid of using it before...NOW...all I can say is WOOOOO HOOOO!!
thank you! I've been listening and noting where the shifting points are, and that's worked with upshifting for me, but my only thing is, I need someone to explain to me when the appropriate times to downshift are, at what point on the tach should I downshift? The one time I had it in manual mode and downshifted, I knocked it down to the lower gear too soon because I didn't know what to look/listen for, you could hear,the revs got higher and it was much louder. Does this make sense?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
thank you! I've been listening and noting where the shifting points are, and that's worked with upshifting for me, but my only thing is, I need someone to explain to me when the appropriate times to downshift are, at what point on the tach should I downshift? The one time I had it in manual mode and downshifted, I knocked it down to the lower gear too soon because I didn't know what to look/listen for, you could hear,the revs got higher and it was much louder. Does this make sense?
Yep...done it myself!! I find that it depends on what kind of traffic you are in and when would you normally begin braking for a stop...but sorry, I don't really pay much attention on the Tach...trying not to plow into the guy ahead of me!!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Paddles hard to use

Originally Posted by DneprDave
The paddles are hard to use when turning left or right from a stop. I've seen some cars with paddle shifters, where the paddles are attached to the steering column, so they don't rotate with the steering wheel. When turning, I use the floor shifter.

Dave
So right Dave! Making tight turns and shifting with the paddles does not cut it. If you have one hand on the wheel and the other on the floor shifter then it works well. Freeways and general twisty road driving then the paddles have my vote.

Stephen

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
If the engine is lugging or sounds like it is chugging, (ie reving too low such as going up a hill and you appear to be losing speed, that is a good time to downshift. The tach will usually read below 2,000 and then it will be time to downshift to keep your engine in the powerband so you can reduce strain on the valve train and accelerate more rapidly. It is just as bad to chug and engine up a hill in too low a gear as it is to over-rev it.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Keep it reving smoothly

Originally Posted by clutchless
If the engine is lugging or sounds like it is chugging, (ie reving too low such as going up a hill and you appear to be losing speed, that is a good time to downshift. The tach will usually read below 2,000 and then it will be time to downshift to keep your engine in the powerband so you can reduce strain on the valve train and accelerate more rapidly. It is just as bad to chug and engine up a hill in too low a gear as it is to over-rev it.
I wholeheartedly agree, never lug it!

S.

Quick Reply: Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club