General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
jump'n'jive
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know i bought my car 10 days ago i've been reading on here and it seems alot of people have had success changing out the stock lifetime fluid to new fluid. i just followed the instructions on here and notice good gains. planning on doing a total of 3 drain and refill with new synthetic fluid.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Ok, I just now noticed (after 5 weeks of ownership) that I have the Steptronic Trans. I know this sounds ignorant, but what is the advantage? I read what little the manual has to say. Years ago I did drive a manual car (VW Bug), so I know that much.

I do enjoy the Sport mode occasionally. I am also certain this subject has been discussed before, but I am still relatively new to the Mini world.

Would love to hear how other owners have used this interesting option and how you like it.

Thanks!

2010 HBClubbie, fairly loaded with awesome features, Just being a Mini would have been enough for me, but she was a "special purchase"

Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Ok, I just now noticed (after 5 weeks of ownership) that I have the Steptronic Trans. I know this sounds ignorant, but what is the advantage? I read what little the manual has to say. Years ago I did drive a manual car (VW Bug), so I know that much.

I do enjoy the Sport mode occasionally. I am also certain this subject has been discussed before, but I am still relatively new to the Mini world.

Would love to hear how other owners have used this interesting option and how you like it.

Thanks!

2010 HBClubbie, fairly loaded with awesome features, Just being a Mini would have been enough for me, but she was a "special purchase"

If you move the gear shift to the left then you can shift the car like a manual and use the engine to the fullest by maximizing the rpms. Previously the CVT gearing wouldn't let you do this. If you have the MCS then you have paddles on the steering wheel and you can shift from here, otherwise you just shift from the stick (pull back to shift up, and push forward to downshift). It adds more fun when driving, and works better when driving in like snow where you can use engine compression instead of braking.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Thanks! So coooool! Mine is the automatic/nonS

Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI*8R
If you move the gear shift to the left then you can shift the car like a manual and use the engine to the fullest by maximizing the rpms. Previously the CVT gearing wouldn't let you do this. If you have the MCS then you have paddles on the steering wheel and you can shift from here, otherwise you just shift from the stick (pull back to shift up, and push forward to downshift). It adds more fun when driving, and works better when driving in like snow where you can use engine compression instead of braking.
does this let you downshift in corners or over rev

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Yes, you can do anything with it that you could do with a manual, except over rev it.

Dave

Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Yes, you can do anything with it that you could do with a manual, except over rev it.

Dave
does the step go all the way down to N

Old 03-19-2011, 01:30 PM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
does the step go all the way down to N
It will shift down to first gear -- whether you do it or not, as soon as you come to a full stop. You can start in second gear though and probably should. Like Dave said, you can't really over rev, or even lug, the Aisin transmission -- it's too smart and will shift for you if you forget you're in manual mode.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
It will shift down to first gear -- whether you do it or not, as soon as you come to a full stop. You can start in second gear though and probably should. Like Dave said, you can't really over rev, or even lug, the Aisin transmission -- it's too smart and will shift for you if you forget you're in manual mode.
what do you think will be faster in a quarter mile step or manuel.. speaking of minis only cause i saw that the auto mini was faster then the manuel in the quarter

Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
what do you think will be faster in a quarter mile step or manuel.. speaking of minis only cause i saw that the auto mini was faster then the manuel in the quarter
I still would bet on the step because you don't have to take your foot off the gas to shift.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
Heres another auto checking in. I've bought probably around 25+ new cars in my life, and I'd say 18~ of them have been manuals, so I have nothing to prove on that front. These days the modern automatics are quite fun to play with, and most importantly, when I don't feel like messing with it... I don't have to.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
I would hope that any Mini would be faster in the 1/4 mile than some dude named Manuel.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI11
Heres another auto checking in. I've bought probably around 25+ new cars in my life, and I'd say 18~ of them have been manuals, so I have nothing to prove on that front. These days the modern automatics are quite fun to play with, and most importantly, when I don't feel like messing with it... I don't have to.
I am right in there, maybe more, with your statistics and really like the way new automatics work. I had a 1968 TR4A-IRS, that I purchased new, and put a 289 Ford V8 into it w/4sp borg/warner manual trans a year and a half later. I wish I had put an automatic in it because of wasted time shifting. If I was in a quarter mile race I used 2nd & 4th so as to not wasted time shifting.

My MCSa is pretty quick!!!

S.

Last edited by SMOG; 03-24-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG
I am right in there, maybe more, with your statistics and really like the way new automatics work. I had a 1968 TR4A-IRS, that I purchased new, and put a 289 Ford V8 into it w/4sp borg/warner manual trans a year and a half later. I wish I had put an automatic in it because of wasted time shifting. If I was in a quarter mile race I used 2nd & 4th so as to not wasted time shifting.

My MCSa is pretty quick!!!

S.
im glad the automatics are become faster than manuels.. that way manuel people can get off their high horse

Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM
MADnFL
2nd Gear
Manual or automatic? It's your money and preference so buy what you like. To me it's all about motoring. My automatic drives just fine and I used to drive manuals.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 AM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
I guess I need to give up my membership. I traded my automatic for manual yesterday. *waves goodbye*

Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM
MADnFL
2nd Gear
Enjoy!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sekhmet101
I guess I need to give up my membership. I traded my automatic for manual yesterday. *waves goodbye*
have fun

Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 PM
morphix
3rd Gear
traded up last week now my wife and I have a 2011 MiniCooper S Auto and a 2011 MiniCooper Countryman S.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by morphix
traded up last week now my wife and I have a 2011 MiniCooper S Auto and a 2011 MiniCooper Countryman S.
Nice of you to join the club... can we get some interior shots of your 2011 mcs... i need my fix

Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
jhamm54
Neutral
Hey count me in 06 BRG. I'm in sport mode 98% of the time and shifting with the paddles. It sure makes me

Old 04-30-2011, 04:25 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Me too, me too!! Loving my Auto Justa Clubgirl!! VROOM VROOM!!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BensMini
Well I have nothing against the clutch crowd, and if the MINI auto was "D" only affair I would have gone that way. But SD/M gives me the best of both worlds. Flicking the gear shift back or forward, when playing boy racer in the twisties or stop light grand prix is so much fun and I'm mostly in sport/manual mode 90% of the time, but when lethargy or boring traffic subdue my normal aggressiveness it's nice to let "D" do it. Whats not to like about the automatic MINI Aisin transmission?

This.

I drove sticks exclusively for over 20 years. Finally got tired of it after spending 20 years sitting in Miami rush hour traffic.

Now the auto with steptronic mode gives me the best of both worlds. Manual when I want it, auto when I'm lazy.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
Now the auto with steptronic mode gives me the best of both worlds. Manual when I want it, auto when I'm lazy.
+1! I've owned so many cars with MTs in my life, and over time I think it starts to wear on you, IMHO...kinda like rougher riding cars from being lowered (and believe me, I've been there before for years, remember the mini truck craze of the 80s?). Now I can hold my cup of coffee and just drive without juggling between the wheel, a stick and the cup

Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
I still would bet on the step because you don't have to take your foot off the gas to shift.
You can do flat foot shifting in a MT, even though it's not healthy.
The AT still loses more hp to the wheel due to parasitic loses due to being heavier, torque-converter-driven, etc.
From the timeslips I've seen online, the MTs are quicker.

Quick Reply: Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club