General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Reaction and MINI's handling saved my life.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fast Reaction and MINI's handling saved my life.

I was driving home around the afternoon on light traffic on a 45 MPH road. I was on the left lane of a two lane road, following this Nissan Sentra. He had a bumper sticker "This car is my treasure." All of a sudden I saw what looked like a piece of rope flying up in the air and the biggest BANG. Like a gun shot. Everything happened so fast. The hood from the Nissan in front of me popped up and the driver slammed on his brake. I was going around 42-45 on 5th. gear. I swerved to the right to avoid hitting him and avoid debri. As I was passing him he started merging to right lane, if I braked it would be too late. So I shifted down to 3rd. and floored it. After I was safe, I pulled over to check if everyone was ok. One of the cars behind me previously got hit by random debri and I saw cracks and etc. My MINI suffered nothing. I was completely shocked to my own reaction and how I played with the grears since I've been only driving manual for about a year. Turns out the Nissan had his hood roped down to his bumper as he was in a previous accident. So much for a treasure.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to go... Good story. I'm happy you're safe!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
well done! i bet that would have made a hell of a scene for a movie hahaha its all i could think of was u whipping it wide and around as the debris whips past your mini square into the car unfortunate enough to fill your void.

I'm glad you and the mini made it out unscathed. mayb the "treasure" is about ready to be buried!

-Hutch-

Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
Turns out the Nissan had his hood roped down to his bumper as he was in a previous accident. So much for a treasure.
You have Red Necks in MA too? Good to see you and your MINI made a safe escape. Did you offer them a roll of duct tape to replace the rope?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:40 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Great story. Sorry for your scare but glad (and proud as a MINI driver) that you were able to navigate the crisis unscathed.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had you tried that maneuver in an SUV you might have rolled it. Just goes to show you that small doesn't necessarily equate to unsafe.

Glad you and your MINI came out clean and unharmed.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Supercoopr
3rd Gear
Oh my gosh, so glad to hear that you and your Mini made it out okay. It's scary how many stupid things people do that cause accidents every day.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Whew, close calls around every turn, aren't there? Good move--fortunately your instinct was to step on it and NOT to brake!

Isn't there a saying that one man's treasure is another man's junk? I guess that that man's treasure and junk are one in the same, eh?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:12 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha thanks guys. I think what was most priceless throughout that experience was my girlfriend's reaction. From the time the hood popped up to the point where we pulled over she was just like.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad your MINI pulled you through....you obviously have learned to drive it well!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
Haha thanks guys. I think what was most priceless throughout that experience was my girlfriend's reaction. From the time the hood popped up to the point where we pulled over she was just like.
Priceless indeed!! My heart stopped while reading this...I'm sure yours' came close...glad you made the exactly right decision at exactly the right time!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
LüDICRöüS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
You have Red Necks in MA too? Good to see you and your MINI made a safe escape. Did you offer them a roll of duct tape to replace the rope?
A true redneck knows that 1 foot of duct tape is better than 20 feet of rope

Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Definitely a heart stopping moment but your fast reactions in your Mini at avoiding the possible accident paid off

Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Good story!

In AZ baling wire is popular.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I've escaped accidents by hopping on the gas too. It feels odd, the first time you try it, but often slamming on the brakes just puts you in harms way while speeding up gets you away from it.

Its not the answer every time, but I no longer automatically go for the brakes if I see trouble.

Glad to hear you escaped unscathed.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Glad to hear that no one was injured! I can relate 100%

While driving back x-country bring my new Clubman home. While near Memphis, a truck carrying large/old windows hit a bump and two windows (wood frames and all) caught air. I checked my left mirror and before I knew it, I had changed 2 lanes to the left... the glass was old and broke into shards (not pieces) - was VERY dangerous. The car behind me suffered a broken windshield and had several shards of glass penetrating the hood. The driver said he saw the windows go air-borne, then it appeared that my car disappeared! No damage to my Clubman any no one was physically hurt. No doubt, if I'd attempted this in my Land Cruiser, I would have rolled out of the way!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
"The faster your drive, the faster you can get out of danger." ---a friend of mine

Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
"The faster your drive, the faster you can get out of danger." ---a friend of mine
But sometimes gets you to the accident scene first!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
hmm, that is an interesting take on it. I never thought of it that way.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job THINKING!

Most of the time, failing to THINK is what makes things worse.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
minjae
6th Gear
whew..as long as you're fine and nothing's damaged..
good thing on downshifting to speed up..
when i need to break hard (to prevent hitting the bad drivers infront of me..) i downshift to 2nd gear without even realizing it..

but there's too many bad drivers out there..
i always tell my friends that people trust other drivers without really realizing it..
that trust is how it all starts..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
this reallllly COOL guy was in the lane beside me with his front bumper about even with my rear (2 lanes each way separated by a curbed median) I assumed he was gunna squeeze in behind me as the lanes merged for construction... he hit the gas, but not enough to fully pass, so I let off the gas, he pulled into my lane (not just cutting me off, but he swerved into my lane while his rear bunper was about even with the center of my front wheels) there was a gap in the median for u-turns, and w/o even thinking about it I stood on the brakes (no cars behind---AT ALL!) and pulled into that small gap-barely getting the car to a stop before hitting the curb. After the ordeal, I looked around before starting off again, and there was a cop in the parking lot across the street, who likely saw it all happen, but he continued what he was doing and drove off, I looked at the merging zone and the truck could have easily gone another 100+ ft before merging-luckily there was no damage, but w/o that gap in the median---