General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messiest MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:41 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messiest MINI?

A perverse question? Certainly.

But I'm just wondering if you guys are fantastically fastidious. Or are you like me?

Also, this is a brave question, not. I have no MINI per se, only a VIN.

But I do promise to post a picture later.

I'm sure there must be a MINI with a paper recycle bin on the passenger floor. Perhaps a Purple H graveyard in the boot?

Just wondering.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen some pretty messy MINIs. We just rescued my daughter's MINI from this category...I don't think it had been washed in 6 months. Strangely, it still looked very nice when I had chance to see it out on the roads.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a kid who left a candy wrapper in the back seat's cubbyhole once. Did I tell you I HAD a kid?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
It's funny that my Dad told me 40 years ago that you appreciate things more if you have to pay for them.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Until yesterday I had a winter of road scum on my bike, or I'd volunteer that.

I am hoping to see an '02 daily driver. But maybe we self-select against that. While I was logged off I was also secretly hoping I'd come back and find a really muddy rally pic.

To be truthful, I'm not sure I'd be willing to even take a picture of my truck sometimes. The recycle pile? That was me once or twice. It was bad. But I don't even look for postings about GMC pickups. I could probably win that thread.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
this MINI is pretty dirty. I think someone caked it in mud as a joke.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
MiniEsq
4th Gear
My pre-Mini car was essentially a trash can inside. When I started really looking at the Mini, my dad actually asked me what it's EPB capacity was....when I asked what he meant, he said "Empty Pop Bottle Capacity." But my Mini is a totally different story. I don't eat it, I don't leave trash in it, it even has coaster things in the cup holders so they don't get dirty with perspiration on cups. I do have a jacket and a few magazines that stay in the back seat, due to the required travel for work (and the sometimes waiting and temperature changes that involves) but my Mini is clean otherwise.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:32 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
What is this mess you speak of?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
this MINI is pretty dirty. I think someone caked it in mud as a joke.

Hilarious. Great find.

"What is this mess you speak of?" [This is your quote, that7guy, but I couldn't figure out how to insert it as a quote using the thread tool.]

I had a couple of purposes in mind when I started this thread. First (the serious reason), I wanted to see what MINIs look like when they're in daily use, when they're dirty, when they are fulfilling their function as transportation through a messy world. Until nabeshin's post, I don't think I've ever seen a MINI that looks well-used (although I agree, this looks more like a prank than actual use). I'm trying to envision what mine will look like after a trip to the mountains through anti-ice solution, or after a midwinter month when it's too cold to wash the car. I probably will eat in my car because sometimes I don't have time not to. I'll probably work in my car in a ferry line or two and I will inevitably generate a shred pile when I work.

What does that look like in a MINI? My sense is that my MINI will take the abuse of daily living gracefully.

My second purpose is just...fun. Do NAM folks take themselves too seriously? (A: Some apparently do, especially when they buy their car with their own money -- wow, what a concept.) Do NAM folks enjoy MINIdom without pretense an enjoy the sporting/fun/cuteness of it all? (A: Some do -- thanks nabeshin!) Are there responses that I cannot predict? (Inevitable when posting on a public forum.) I hope so.

We all deal with real, personal challenges. My second purpose is just to generate some light-hearted fun in our day, maybe even a giggle or two.

But to do that, we need pictures!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear

Working on a local rally, I had to drive on miles of dirt road.

I always have a beach towel for the occasional dog, but this time I had to get some Mesquite. Yea it's not "filthy", but cars are meant to be used.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
I am as far from OCD as you can get on this board. Even flew a NAMer out to clean the car.
Here is an example of what she usually looks like in one fashion or another.
She is a daily driver and our commuter car.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
My Wicked Wanda is all-Jet Black. She looks fabulous for the first few hours after she is detailed, but she is not garaged. She lives in the driveway and our side of the street is unpaved. You do the math.

Yes, I eat and drink in her. I've driven her cross-country and back 5 times -- basically lived out of her, so she is not a garage queen. I admire the OCDetailers, but I am simply not one of them.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
My prissy MINI has a friend. . . a beautiful R53 yellow cooper that is the working car for a magician with rabbits and props. No pics, but that car is WELL used and loved!!!

Scoop is my weekend antidote to the weekly commute in the Saturn with 2 boys and. . .

Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
My carpets have some leaves on them, but overall, I like a clean MINI. Lightning Blue looks so drab when it's dusty/dirty, but when it's shiny, no other color matches it

Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Originally Posted by bumble's angel
I am as far from OCD as you can get on this board. Even flew a NAMer out to clean the car.

Did your interior come with that color scheme? That is awesome.

On the subject of interior cleanliness, I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow. There isn't a scrap of paper or mess in my car, only gravel from my shoes. I do not think I have ever ate in my car, only the ocational can of cream soda.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt

Working on a local rally, I had to drive on miles of dirt road.

I always have a beach towel for the occasional dog, but this time I had to get some Mesquite. Yea it's not "filthy", but cars are meant to be used.
Beautiful. Is that northern Arizona?

(I think your car enjoys being used!)

Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bumble's angel

Thanks! I like your shift ****.

I'm buying mine as my commuter car too. Mrs. ()()== always keeps her car pristine. I have no idea how she does that.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
I drive my car freaken everywhere.
I use so much gas ive driven like 115 miles in the past 24 hours
ortega hwy and back plus a trip to disneyland and odds and ends.
Its great at picking up bugsplat around her though.
and a couple of 120 plus runs in all that as well.
so i know what you mean.
Im kinda dissapointed because i was on the freeway today and a guys driverside mirror shattered and hit the ground and then sprayed my car!
ouch im worried about damage. i cant tell till i wash him. probably tomorow or tuesday

Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Did your interior come with that color scheme? That is awesome.
Yes, it is the Checkmate interior.

Originally Posted by ()()==
Thanks! I like your shift ****.
Thank you, it is a Whalen.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 AM
MCS06
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
My Wicked Wanda is all-Jet Black. She looks fabulous for the first few hours after she is detailed, but she is not garaged. She lives in the driveway and our side of the street is unpaved. You do the math.

Yes, I eat and drink in her. I've driven her cross-country and back 5 times -- basically lived out of her, so she is not a garage queen. I admire the OCDetailers, but I am simply not one of them.
not a garage queen I love it!!
mine, however, is a "garage queen" and I am OCD.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ()()==
Beautiful. Is that northern Arizona?

(I think your car enjoys being used!)
Yes it is, you can see the western side of Sedona. Swifty loves the roads (that aren't falling apart) around here.... I just go along.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
My BRG is unfortunately a super-pollen magnet. SUPER. I hate it looking as bad as it does, but sometimes...I rationalize it by thinking: one thin layer is PROTECTING it! Yeah, yeah...that's it. What drives me crazy is that I love (and specially ordered, of course) my white rims and white mirror caps, but HOLY COW that brake dust makes them look SO black and dirty SO fast! Since I bought my '07 MCSTurbo (!!!) -- and learning from my '04 BRG experiences-- I decided I needed the regular floor mats (for potential resale value later), but needed the rubber mats for every day use. No more coffee stains (those cup holders are un-American!!) I can't get out. I DO sometimes eat a snack in it, but I feel so guilty about the crumbs, I will admit I bought a little lighter-plug vaccuum thingie. I love my Mini.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo

I thought I might be the only here who didn't have a garage to put their Mini in. We also have a dirt driveway, so my ideal of having a sparkling Mini everyday just isn't going to happen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Molly will be a "Garage Queen"...Hubby has been busy in that department. Molly will be HOME on Saturday!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
jack07734
4th Gear
My MINI never gets messy inside. It gets vacumed out every time I motor top down.

The outside is a different story. Winters here make it almost impossable to keep clean.

Happy Motoring,
Jack

Quick Reply: Messiest MINI?