General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any MINI owners with SMART cars too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any MINI owners with SMART cars too?

I'm going to buy a Smart car when I pay off the MINI in approximately two years. Several reasons:

1) Better gas mileage on my commute to work (46 miles each way).
2) Keep the miles a little lower on my MINI.
3) I want to keep my '05 MCS forever.
4) The Smart car also looks too cool and it's NOT an SUV.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Thats a long commute. I'd wager that many an initial Smart car owner will feel like getting rid of their car after they've had to do frequent expressway commuting. You may be able to get a used one for a good deal, but you may also not enjoy driving it at 65+ mph either...

I'd want to drive one extensively and get some owner feedback before
making a decision on purchasing one.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:29 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
A lot of my commute is on rural roads at the 50mph average so I think I wouldn't mind. I figure in two years they'll have some of the bugs worked out of the Smart (like the MINI became by 2005) so it won't be a bad idea. Maybe the gas mileage will improve even more as well, who knows.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
The guys on Motoring File really didn't like the Smart after driving it. I see it as a strictly urban vehicle. Great for deliverymen, but probably not the best choice for long commutes. The new MINI's get 40 mpg, and are a much better value dollar for dollar, IMHO.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
the wait for a Smart, at least around here, is a full calendar year...twice as long as I waited for my MINI...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Not surprised about the wait. The appeal is high for those who think outside the (SUV) box.
The price can't be beat either. I paid $32k for my MINI and could probably get a neat little commuter for less than half. We'll see. Nothing's written in stone.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
After I sat in a Smart it became very clear that I just couldn't ever buy one unless they update/upgrade it A LOT. It's too tiny to ever be comfortable, the interior is just junk, and it's WAY too expensive for what you get. For me, there's none of the value of a MINI (cool factor). Plus, I can get a Rio/Accent for less and get close to the same mileage and still have a backseat.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Ex '02 Jeep Wrangler Sport guy here (the non-Hummer looking Wranglers that is) so I'm not looking for ride comfort so much or even fancy interiors. I can handle bumps and feeling the road. I've got my MCS for that "luxurious" sporty ride :-)
I don't know, those other little cars don't have the Smart look. It's different looking - similar to how the MINI looks different from everything else. The "top end" Smart interior doesn't look half bad for a $16,000 car. If the radio rocks, I'm generally pretty happy even if the rest of the car doesn't.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
eVal
6th Gear
For a time we had both, now, I'm afraid, we are Mini-less.

We are seriously loving the Smart, honestly it is fun to drive and the tiny spaces we can park it in have truly improved the quality of life in the city (just last night we went out to dinner at a favorite spot and immediately found a tiny between driveway space close to the restaurant that the Smart perfectly fit in, even with the Mini it took awhile to circle around looking and waiting for a space to open up; this quick & easy parking happens constantly and is a real joy). And it is great to not have to worry about door dings/parking damage with its plastic panels as with a metal skinned car, and also know you can replace them pretty inexpensively and easily too.

Highways are not an issue either, sure you can't fall asleep driving it, it's not an insulated experience, but it's not the problem people are assuming it is - in the city and on the highway I'm still passing lots of people (and yes as a light tall vehicle it is more effected by wind then a big heavy car - people say its just like an old VW bug - but with the power steering it has not been horrible for me; worth noting that the manual steering apparently is more twitchy on the freeway).

I didn't expect to like the car this much, thought it would be purely practical, but after dashing around in it yesterday, squirting around enjoying the same curves and passing people and driving pretty much as I did in the Mini (yes it feels different and isn't as fast/sporty, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun and can't be pushed) I realized that I am loving it. And the transmission simply takes getting used to to optimize it shifting and smooth it out, it becomes second nature (I honestly like it now, it is a real clutchless manual and feels like it), as does the delay from a stop and overall feel of the car - it's not a drag racer but it's not a dead feeling boring drive either. Now I just need some tires with more grip

PS: Re the interior, no it ain't luxurious but it has everything we want, heated seats included, has it's own funky traits like the Mini (the glowing tach/clock 'eyeball' stalks look silly and make me smile) and I'm not worried about a cool factor

Last edited by eVal; 03-28-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
I figure in two years they'll have some of the bugs worked out of the Smart (like the MINI became by 2005) so it won't be a bad idea.
Well, the Smart has been in Europe for about 10 years -- if they're gonna work out the bugs, they better start working on them soon.

The price can't be beat either.
Actually, this is my major gripe with the car. I think there's a place for it (I loved seeing them around Frankfurt and other European cities), but I wish it was priced around $9-10k for what it is. Afterall, you can get the same fuel consumption and much more practicality out of a base Corolla in the same price range as the current Smart.
Of course, like with MINIs, you can't always compare a vanilla car with a "cute" car side-by-side -- we do pay more for the design and for driving a car that stands out more than a Corolla. But when a car is set forth as a practical, reasonable alternative, it should not cost as much as more practical cars with better performance.

I would look at reviews such as Motoringfile:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/03/...smart-fourtwo/
and their comments about the 5 speed auto manual -- 2-3 seconds to shift from 2d to 3d gear!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Not surprised about the wait. The appeal is high for those who think outside the (SUV) box.
The price can't be beat either. I paid $32k for my MINI and could probably get a neat little commuter for less than half. We'll see. Nothing's written in stone.
I'm not sure I even have a dealership for SMART in Hawaii.

I do know I can buy an old reconditioned for the US SMART 2005 and 2006 model year for $22 to $28K! That's right, since there are no new SMART he is importing reworked older ones with no or low miles and reselling at very high prices. He says he has a similar dealership in Las Vegas and sales are good. Well maybe for those that don't want to wait for the new and cheaper version. I saw the cabrio and hardtop versions.

Note the front and rear wheels and tires are different sizes and the selection of aftermarket wheels and tires is very limited except if you shop in the UK or europe.

For urban use and shorter trips say 20 miles or less it's workable. For anyone looking to drive 60 to 100 miles per day maybe a good hybrid would work better.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I know I'm not the only Mini owner who also bought a Smart - with hope you'll get more feedback from owners vs speculation/short seat time here or you can go to the forums I PMd, there seems to be quite a few Mini owners there - even others with the Go Mini Go no holes front license plate as well :D

Oh, and Epic wax seems to work great on the Smart too

Last edited by eVal; 03-28-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
to each his own. i really don't like the "clutchless manual tranny". it was jaunty and had a really poor feeling to it. if they offered an actual manual or an actual automatic it would be a lot more interesting for me.

that being said i think it is cool in design factor.
i think it is very practical with all that storage back there.(relatively speaking)
it could very well be my next vehicle.(i'll always have the MCS)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
blackslvr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I know I'm not the only Mini owner who also bought a Smart - with hope you'll get more feedback from owners vs speculation/short seat time here or you can go to the forums I PMd, there seems to be quite a few Mini owners there - even others with the Go Mini Go no holes front license plate as well :D

Oh, and Epic wax seems to work great on the Smart too
I was contemplating on the idea of getting a SMART car too I live kinda suburban area Austin, Tx but automatic swayed me from it maybe my wife will I was actually on their list for march delivery but I gave my spot away....I should have sold my spot

Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to buy a Smart car when I pay off the MINI in approximately two years.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a diesel MINI by then. No contest!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When a diesel MINI is available here, I am snapping one up.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 AM
MINI MB
1st Gear
We own a 2002 MINI Cooper (Launch Edition)-love the design and handling.
Sunroof/air /heated seats = comfort
Did I mention great handling and iconic design?
This is our spring/summer/fall fun car.
We also own two 2006 smart fortwo's (diesel)-love the design and economy.
Sunroof/air/heated seats = comfort
Did I mention great economy and iconic design?
One is a summer driver and the other also does winter.
We love driving and being ahead of the curve in design.
MINI Cooper has superb handling-
smart fortwo has superb fuel economy-
Both the MINI and the smart are comfortable at highway speeds and over long distances.
Regards,
MINI MB

Last edited by MINI MB; 03-30-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
good news

Good news for ya Dave...by the end of this year, Toyota will have it's IQ here. It's a SMART takeoff, holds three adults (yeah, it has a back seat) and it's going to cost a LOT less money, Toyota reliability (I'm not here to argue that point, but they do ok judging by the ones we've owned) and warranty. Run TOYOTA IQ on google or google images. The front is kinda strange, but I hear it's going to change. With a stripped Toyota Yaris (call it the IQ's big brother) going for $12.8k out the door (we have that one...35k miles without a hiccup, just oil/filter/air filter changes and tire rotations), I'd think the IQ will be a $9k-$10k car, which is what the Smart should be. And hopefully they'll offer a stick shift.

I'm going to buy a Smart car when I pay off the MINI in approximately two years. Several reasons:

1) Better gas mileage on my commute to work (46 miles each way).
2) Keep the miles a little lower on my MINI.
3) I want to keep my '05 MCS forever.
4) The Smart car also looks too cool and it's NOT an SUV.

Last edited by surfblue; 03-29-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: price
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by surfblue
Good news for ya Dave...by the end of this year, Toyota will have it's IQ here. It's a SMART takeoff, holds three adults (yeah, it has a back seat) and it's going to cost a LOT less money, Toyota reliability (I'm not here to argue that point, but they do ok judging by the ones we've owned) and warranty. Run TOYOTA IQ on google or google images. The front is kinda strange, but I hear it's going to change. With a stripped Toyota Yaris (call it the IQ's big brother) going for $12.8k out the door (we have that one...35k miles without a hiccup, just oil/filter/air filter changes and tire rotations), I'd think the IQ will be a $9k-$10k car, which is what the Smart should be. And hopefully they'll offer a stick shift.
That's a small IQ!

Good use of space, 100mm longer cabin space and 770mm shorter overall than the 2 door hatchback Yaris. 118" long.

Good safety ratings, made worldwide with 2 gas and one diesel engine.
Likely feature a 1.0 liter engine.

Those are 16" wheels!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Yeah, the IQ looks interesting - thing is they don't even know if they will sell it here yet, and then, of course, the final price is impossible to pinpoint.

I'll be watching to see what happens, how it does in actual US release form safety wise and such too (I'd want to know how a rear seat passenger does in a rear end collision sitting back there next to the glass with zero clearance). After another fine day of finding Smart size only parking I'd have to think twice about replacing the Smart with anything an iota bigger, and those plastic body panels and even the rear wheel drive are pluses the IQ doesn't have, but we'll see

Last edited by eVal; 03-29-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recent test of Smart For 2 in several American car mags reveal crummy gas mileage, lousy performance and a high price. Trendy and cute maybe, but that's it. 32 MPG average, (on recommended premium gas), in something that looks like it should get 60 ain't very cool to me.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Yeah, the IQ looks interesting - thing is they don't even know if they will sell it here yet, and then, of course, the final price is impossible to pinpoint.

I'll be watching to see what happens, how it does in actual US release form safety wise and such too (I'd want to know how a rear seat passenger does in a rear end collision sitting back there next to the glass with zero clearance). After another fine day of finding Smart size only parking I'd have to think twice about replacing the Smart with anything an iota bigger, and those plastic body panels and even the rear wheel drive are pluses the IQ doesn't have, but we'll see
Surfblue quotes: "and even the rear wheel drive are pluses the IQ doesn't have," ... RWD is a plus? How's that work? That hasn't been my experience through ownership of four very small cars with FWD. I drove two of those places most folks would only go in a four wheel drive, and would NOT go in a rear wheel drive. Maybe I missed something...hmmm.
BTW, getting a SOLID 42-44 mpg in a Yaris hatchback doing freeway commutes 80 miles each way five days a week. Yaris was $12.8k out the door, and could have been $12.2k if not for a dumb choice the lady of the house made without my knowledge (bogus dealer installed "clear coat" and scotchguard interior, all of which I could have done at home for less than a hundred bucks.) I DO understand the parking thing, but from what I'm reading in the SF Chronicle, the powers that be aren't being so progressive about creative parking of those Smarts. Hell, SF tickets cycles that park on sidewalks etc instead of being glad people ride cycles. Oh well. If it's working for you, that's all that counts.

Last edited by surfblue; 03-30-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: mileage
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
this is all i have to say..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
Surfblue quotes: "and even the rear wheel drive are pluses the IQ doesn't have," ... RWD is a plus? How's that work? That hasn't been my experience through ownership of four very small cars with FWD. I drove two of those places most folks would only go in a four wheel drive, and would NOT go in a rear wheel drive. Maybe I missed something...hmmm.
BTW, getting a SOLID 42-44 mpg in a Yaris hatchback doing freeway commutes 80 miles each way five days a week. Yaris was $12.8k out the door, and could have been $12.2k if not for a dumb choice the lady of the house made without my knowledge (bogus dealer installed "clear coat" and scotchguard interior, all of which I could have done at home for less than a hundred bucks.) I DO understand the parking thing, but from what I'm reading in the SF Chronicle, the powers that be aren't being so progressive about creative parking of those Smarts. Hell, SF tickets cycles that park on sidewalks etc instead of being glad people ride cycles. Oh well. If it's working for you, that's all that counts.
To me rear wheel drive is a plus, I happen not to love being pulled through a turn, also not a fan of torque steer - it's my opinion. The Mini is really the exception when it comes to this, but even with my beloved Mini there were times I wished it were RWD.

Everything is subjective, "professional' reviews included, and the truth is that reviewers rarely have the time or inclination to actually work with adaptive transmissions or want to bother learning new habits to make one different then they are accustomed to work well. Hand in hand with that then is that reviewers also don't usually drive for best for best mgs - check the real world owners and see lots of people very happy with the car, enjoying the transmission, and also those getting in the 40s for miles per gallon, that counts for something.

I am simply here replying to the OP with an opinion formed as an owner, it is not like I am just assuming things based on reviews or making judgements based on whatever information is out there. I also PMd him with the location of a forum with other owners of the specific 08 US spec Smart (and actually owners of the older gray market cars too) where he can get information and other experienced points of view like NAM - more useful to someone interested in a car then mere speculation or the limited usefulness of a review based on short seat time for the reasons I stated don't you think?

I hope I can help him or anyone who want to really know about the car, same as I've tried to help people with info or my .02 re: the Mini and other vehicles I've owned. After all not many other people in the thread were on topic as a 'Mini owner with a Smart'..

Just so you know about the parking, I am dead serious about that - we are parking parallel in tiny between driveway spaces common all over SF that any car bigger then a Smart cannot park at (and of course you don't need the driveways, you can fit in any tiny spot options), there is nothing creative or ticket worthy about it. I'll snap a pic for you if you want so you can see what I mean. I did however park perpendicular today with another Smart for the heck of it (had a meet and 17 ForTwos showed up!) and all was well :D

So yeah, I am really loving the car, fun to drive, fun to park, economical, even produced 'greenly', and all with heated seats

Last edited by eVal; 03-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimzbobs
this is all i have to say..
That is the original Smart, we are on the third incarnation now which is an entirely different car

Quick Reply: Any MINI owners with SMART cars too?