General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing bumper cover scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Filmcutter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing bumper cover scratches

I put a few scratches on the front bumper cover of my Mini when I removed my grille. Is it safe to use Scratch X to try and polish those out? I know it's fiberglass and therefore may be damaged by this. What might be the best way to address this problem?

It's enough of a problem that I even considered replacing that section of the bumper but was not sure if the part came in the color of my car (chili red) or if a body shop would have to paint it. In that case I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by Filmcutter; 02-25-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Unofrtunately, I'd like to find out what works as well.

Came out of a restaurant yesterday (where I had parked away from everyone) to find that someone had scuffed up my rear cover pretty bad -- no note, of course

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
unless your bumper is aftermarket it is not fiberglass.
it is considered plastic. if you post a pic of the scratch I can answer the question better. I will give one word of caution. if you do not know how to use a polishing wheel, do not attempt it on a bumper. the paint and the surface is soft and will heat up and ruin easily. you need a soft touch and must have patience.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Filmcutter
1st Gear
Scratch Photo

Here is a photo you asked for of the scratches near the center of the grille. I know this is not the best because I took it with the camera on my phone. Need to take the pic with a regular camera which I will do tonight. Hopefully this will give you some idea of the problem. I'm just really pulling my hair out about this and wish there was an answer I could address as opposed to bringing it to a body shop.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
i think the biggest problem your going to encountor is the location of the scratch. its so close to the chrome trim that its going to be hard to get a machine in there to polish it up.
I would first try to use the meguires scratch X as you were asking. the car has a clearcoat so you will be OK. remember to tape up the trim. keep a light touch throughout the process. let me know how it works. if you need to go to the next step i can help you there.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
H82WRK
3rd Gear
I just had my repainted due to someone hitting in the parking lot, $260.00 and fixed up the rock chips while he was at it. But my scratch was much worse than yours and in a much more visible location.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Filmcutter
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks guys for all of your observations and advice.

I tried Scratch X which did not get rid of those main scratches. Now that I've had time to think about it I think the best thing would be to head to the dealership and have their PDR guy do his thing. I had a couple of minor door dings a few months ago that he did a fantastic job fixing those. Feel like I've done all I can do without taking a risk on trying something I'm not experienced with.

Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 AM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Filmcutter
Thanks guys for all of your observations and advice.

I tried Scratch X which did not get rid of those main scratches. Now that I've had time to think about it I think the best thing would be to head to the dealership and have their PDR guy do his thing. I had a couple of minor door dings a few months ago that he did a fantastic job fixing those. Feel like I've done all I can do without taking a risk on trying something I'm not experienced with.

Thanks again!
You may want to look into a good bodyshop around town rather then the dealership. itll give the same quality with less $ Autobody world is a great franchise to get work from. you can see if there in your area.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a reputable mobile bumper repair company. I have seen these guys work and the results are simply amazing! They can repair scratches, scuffs, dents, etc from your plastic bumpers in 2-3 hours while you wait, home or office.

Often there is no need to remove the bumper cover from the car, you get to preserve the original finish and cost a fraction of what a traditional body shop would charge you.

Some food for taught.