General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strangest thing stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:39 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strangest thing stolen

Between 9:30am and 11:30am, someone walked away with my passenger side view mirror, just the glass mirror itself, not the housing. My car was street parked on the right side next to the scaffolded windowless side of the building. The street is pretty busy. The driver side mirror would have been too exposed, but I guess it would be pretty easy but gutsy to just pretend you are the owner adjusting his mirrors.

It had a Maxiview blind spot mirror on it. Maybe they wanted the Maxiview and ended up pulling the entire mirror off with it still attached. As advertised, it is near impossible to remove once stuck on. They said it couldn't be stolen. Evidently, they need to footnote unless the entire mirror itself is stolen. Maybe the thief was a mini owner that cracked his own side-view mirror.

My dealer has never heard of this happening. The receptionist found it humorous. Anyway, I just ordered another one for under $60 from MorristownMini. It just snaps back on. Ironically, they just installed my car alarm.

I may need to give in and pay hundreds of dollars a month just to garage my mini. I'll wait until someone steals my radar detector and portable GPS.

What odd things have y'all had stolen? Oh yeah, I also had one of my tire valve caps stolen.

If you live in nyc and find your passenger side 2007 mini cooper mirror stolen, it wasn't me.

Last edited by lacning74; 12-08-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 AM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 sets MINI of tire valve caps in the first month of ownership Now I just have plain black ones.

Mark

Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kids love to steal the tire stem value covers esp if there are designs on them.
Not sure why they do it, maybe for their bike tires?

Last edited by itchynscratchy; 01-22-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
I had a valve cap stolen the first week. Nothing since in
about 2 years. I'm surprised my grille badges haven't been
swiped. I'm thinking people probably don't realize they're
magnetic and super easy to take off with. Let's hope they
don't

Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A mirror and a couple of tire caps, still much cheaper than parking garage.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had a set of those S badge valvestem caps stolen once. Replaced and are still on my s-heavies. They have not been stollen yet, but then I hardly use the s-heavies anymore.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
someone stole the registration sticker off of my license plate when i lived in San Francisco. it was a pain in the ***, but i suppose it was better than losing an ipod or getting a broken window or something...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Phantom
4th Gear
a windshield wiper...

Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Jurrell
4th Gear
Not stolen, but a tire shop forgot to tell me they lost my metal valve stem and replaced it with a regular black one. I noticed the next day.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
DjR53
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jurrell
Not stolen, but a tire shop forgot to tell me they lost my metal valve stem and replaced it with a regular black one. I noticed the next day.
haha samething happen to me i wasnt happy! but i dont think they lost them they just like the shiny ones to themselves

Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Once a tireshop forgot I had metal caps and put black ones back on. When I went out for my car I noticed right away, they had half the shop looking for them, till they "appeared" on some guy's tool box. I didn't care, next time I took my caps off myself before I got there. They put black plastic ones on and I switched them at home.

This is a seperate instance from my other post because this second set was not stolen and I got them back.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:59 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
A few years ago I was parked in a garage. When I picked up my car I didn't notice anything until I was driving home late in the day and saw something hanging underneith the car in the shadow. When I got home I found that someone had stolen my front turn signal, and I saw the wires & plug hanging down. They actually brought a screwdriver and unscrewed the signal and unplugged it (which I thought was pretty courteous at the time), and basically used my car as their own parts car.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Once a tireshop forgot I had metal caps and put black ones back on. When I went out for my car I noticed right away, they had half the shop looking for them, till they "appeared" on some guy's tool box. I didn't care, next time I took my caps off myself before I got there. They put black plastic ones on and I switched them at home.

This is a seperate instance from my other post because this second set was not stolen and I got them back.
I did the same thing, only with my plain black ones so I could replace the silly green ones they put on.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The 7th day of owning my mini, I walked out to it to find the passenger side mirror dangling from it's wires. The black cap was on the other side of the street all smashed up.
Found it completely odd since it was curbside

Dealer wanted around $500 for a new mirror, I ended up fixing it with the tube to the vacuum.

Sounds odd though....any mini owners in your near proximity?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop

Dealer wanted around $500 for a new mirror, I ended up fixing it with the tube to the vacuum.
I can't figure out how the tube from your vacuum cleaner could fix a smashed mirror or mirror cover????

You must be a real McGuyver!

If I send you my old broken blender and a few handfuls of pine bark mulch, can you fix my faulty air conditioner compressor?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL
What happened was the mirror was dangling from the wires.
The mirror popped of of it's mounts as well, although none of the clips broke surprisingly...
So basically it was hit and the bracket holding the spring tension snapped releasing the majority of the mirror from the part that mounts to the door.

When I went to the dealer, I mentioned all this and they said the mirror was shot since the spring mechanism came apart.

Turns out the vacuum hose was the same diameter of the spring and clasp so I put it all in place and pressed it on the vacuum tube till it was back in place.

And mounted it on the car.....Got lucky I guess.

No McGuyver here...

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
I can't figure out how the tube from your vacuum cleaner could fix a smashed mirror or mirror cover????

You must be a real McGuyver!

If I send you my old broken blender and a few handfuls of pine bark mulch, can you fix my faulty air conditioner compressor?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I'll still give you McGuyver points for that one! Great creative problem solving.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Only things stolen from my MINI were the oddest ones so far. Someone had stolen the metal SSR valve stem caps from the right side of the car only, not the left. At least whoever stole them was nice enough to replace them with ordinary black plastic ones.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
toxictrix
Neutral
stealing

Someone stole my antenna one day and put up all of my windshield wipers... I was pretty mad

Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
rowingref
1st Gear
outdoor car cover

Someone just stole my outdoor car cover today! From in front of my suburban townhouse! It was there at 1pm. By 5pm it was gone!

...and I just put it on 2 days ago.

Crap!

Who would do that to an innocent little mini cabrio?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
hmmm. antennas, tire valves, side-view mirrors, turn-signal lights, windshield wipers, and car covers. i'm beginning to wonder how prevalent are mini owning thieves that accessorize or replace their lost parts. i guess i was naive in thinking that mini owners were above this.

at least i hope the punk who stole my portable gps unit does not drive a mini.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Somebody has been "playing" with my rear S badge on my Clubman. So far, they have managed to scratch the paint in swirls around it and have loosened up the E and R on COOPER...jerks.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My buddy has a honda s2000 and people always steal ether his Antenna or Emblems.

I had someone smash out the window on my Mini once and steal my Stereo. (Aftermarket one) That was kind of a bummer. On the bright side I fixed it all myself for $250. Just sucks vacuuming up all that glass.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jurrell
I bet they "forgot" to tell you. Nothing upsets me more than someone not letting you know that they lost something, hoping you won't find out. It is dishonest and a very quick way to pi$$ me off.

Did the car cover blow off, by chance?