General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Office Depot Hummer v. MINI Load-and Drive Challenge

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Office Depot Hummer v. MINI Load-and Drive Challenge

I was in Office Depot today buying a chair.

Right in front of me was a couple buying a modular build-it yourself bookcase.

Their stockman wheeled out their small flat package right in front of the stockman with my bulky executive chair box.

We head down the parking lot and my Mini is eclipsed by a black H3.

We were literally parked side by side and headed down the lot neck and neck.

I open the hatch pop down the seats and we slide the large box inside.

As I pull away someone was still climbing around inside the Hummer trying to get their seats down to fit the their box flat.

Last edited by brudgers; 09-07-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perfecto!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:44 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another victory for MINI!!!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Cabbagehead
2nd Gear
When do we get to see this on You tube?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Bucky1969
2nd Gear
Old 09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those things are rediculous. Have to admit, though, having rented a Hummer H3 a few times (wa-ay too many rentals at Avis, got it as a park) I liked it. It's fun in an "I have GOT to run over something" sort of way. It's kind of silly like the Mini. The H3 actually HAS a purpose, and it's rather good at it (off road). Also, like the Mini, many H3 owners are also poseurs (honesty sometimes hurts...). We should probably embrace them as brethren in Motoring - they like to drive something kinda fun. Besides, they are one of the few vehicles where you can stand a large takeout beverage on the rear wheel - while it's still on the car.

I was gonna rant on H2s and H1s, but if they have mud on the roof and are shiny only in places that rocks and branches have scraped clean, that's all right by me.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Those things are rediculous. Have to admit, though, having rented a Hummer H3 a few times (wa-ay too many rentals at Avis, got it as a park) I liked it. It's fun in an "I have GOT to run over something" sort of way. It's kind of silly like the Mini. The H3 actually HAS a purpose, and it's rather good at it (off road). Also, like the Mini, many H3 owners are also poseurs (honesty sometimes hurts...). We should probably embrace them as brethren in Motoring - they like to drive something kinda fun. Besides, they are one of the few vehicles where you can stand a large takeout beverage on the rear wheel - while it's still on the car.

I was gonna rant on H2s and H1s, but if they have mud on the roof and are shiny only in places that rocks and branches have scraped clean, that's all right by me.
in all honesty, H2's and H3's are all posers... the only real hummer is the H1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMTRxIknpw

as for Modern day Suv's. I give the toyota FJ Cruiser mad props.... I drove one at an autoshow where they built up an awesome off road track and let me tell you... that is one capable machine.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghosthound
as for Modern day Suv's. I give the toyota FJ Cruiser mad props.... I drove one at an autoshow where they built up an awesome off road track and let me tell you... that is one capable machine.
I really like the Toyota FJ Cruiser! If we ever replace our original 1988 Isuzu Trooper II, that's what I want!

brudgers, that MINI vs. H3 anecdote is great! It's so much fun to surprise folks with how much we can get into our MINIs, eh?

Old 09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
DarrenO'sideCA
2nd Gear
Cooper-Trooper Club

MINIclo-I'm in the Cooper-Trooper club too!!! Now if I can just get my g-friend to drive the Trooper all the time (except HomeDepot runs) I'd like it even better...

Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by DarrenO'sideCA
MINIclo-I'm in the Cooper-Trooper club too!!! Now if I can just get my g-friend to drive the Trooper all the time (except HomeDepot runs) I'd like it even better...
Once I joined the MINI cult, hubby hijacked Troopie, and she's now his work wagon. His Corvette, Scooter, hides out in the garage.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear

who needs an SUV (or even a clubman), an IKEA curio cabinet with driver and passenger

Old 09-08-2007, 05:18 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Too funny!
I posted on the video (71), now that was funny.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:19 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
Nice!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:46 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Also, like the Mini, many H3 owners are also poseurs (honesty sometimes hurts...). We should probably embrace them as brethren in Motoring - they like to drive something kinda fun. Besides, they are one of the few vehicles where you can stand a large takeout beverage on the rear wheel - while it's still on the car.

I'm sorry.. I would disagree with every word you said. *Political Rant*

Done.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
brudgers
2nd Gear

Any rental car handles well off road if you get the suplimental insurance.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by brudgers
Any rental car handles well off road if you get the suplimental insurance.
Naughty, naughty!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
On Friday I had:

A pop-up
6 3-gallon water coolers
A 13-gallon ice chest
My medical kit
And 70 pounds of ice

All in my MINI

Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
PGT
Banned
in all honesty, H2's and H3's are all posers... the only real hummer is the H1. .
and yet an H2 will still get you places most any other SUV won't go. I can speak to it's capabilities after getting into four wheel drift at 70mph on the sand at Corolla, NC

Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 AM
07chilired
5th Gear
in all honesty, H2's and H3's are all posers... the only real hummer is the H1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMTRxIknpw

Honestly, when do you ever see a H2 or H3 with mud on them? Most of the people I see driving them around are soccer moms or buisness men talking on the phone. I agree that the only real hummer is the H1, those are cool. I have a MINI and a toyota FJ cruiser, and I love them. We took the FJ on a land rover rally that my dad hosted a few months ago. The land rover guys gave me lots of crap about the FJ and how rovers were better. Every trail they did in 4wd, we did in 2wd, with my stock FJ. That pretty much shut them up for the rest of the weekend!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
and yet an H2 will still get you places most any other SUV won't go. I can speak to it's capabilities after getting into four wheel drift at 70mph on the sand at Corolla, NC
Um ya NO. Sand is a whole different animal. Ive seen a mid 80's BMW "drifting" in the sand. All you need for sand is momentum. As far as trails with rocks, dirt, mud trees etc. the Hummer is simply to big of a machine. Sure its maybe borderline OK in some situations, but to state it will get you more places that most other suv's is well, wrong. Not to mention its independent front axle, which I wont een go into. A Jeep, toyota, and many others are all by far superior offroad vehicles.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by 483FITTER
Um ya NO. Sand is a whole different animal.
ya think?

<---has drifted an STI in the sand as well

I came across more than one broken down H2 on the Land Rover Club Trail near me while in my bone stock '02 TJ with offroad pkg. An H2 is a Tahoe with a lift kit and big tires....luckily, this is the perfect recipe for deep sand.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM
RoadFly
2nd Gear
I kind of always thought MINI owners where open minded, nonjudgemental, polite people. With that being said and reading some of the above posts I clearly see this is not true for some. I happen to own a top notch MINI and a awsome H2, and I know of a few other MINI owns on these boards that own H2s and H3s. Now since I always thought a person bought a car because they liked the looks, functionality, ect... that does not and will never make them a poser. And a poser of what anyway, someone that likes the car they drive. If that is the case then everyone on this site and any other car lover is a poser. Whether you drive to a soccer match, go mudding, or rock climb your MINI, H2 or FJ the thing that matters is that you love your car. This just happens to be my H2 between soccer matches....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by RoadFly
I kind of always thought MINI owners where open minded, nonjudgemental, polite people.
that's funny the general consensus on this forum is that people should sell their SUV's and buy MINI's. Afterall, MINI's are > * right? Nice rig BTW...good to see you use it.

Here's my buddy's H2 at the house in Corolla. We have an SUV but wouldn't think of taking it out there....the H2 is in it's element (our FX is not ).

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
http://www.fuh2.com

*Proud Member*

Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadFly
I kind of always thought MINI owners where open minded, nonjudgemental, polite people. With that being said and reading some of the above posts I clearly see this is not true for some.
You haven't been reading the forums enough. There is quite a bit of SUV bashing not only on NAM but also in other MINI forums. The MINI community has an "us vs. them" cult mentality, with SUVs being the opposite. Because of the H1, the Hummer brand became a symbol of SUV excess and gets singled out in particular.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Office Depot Hummer v. MINI Load-and Drive Challenge