General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading the MINI in...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
minismitty
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading the MINI in...

I am fed up with my local MINI dealer and having to take it in literally every 1-2 weeks for the last few months to get things fixed. I love my MINI but it seems like it spends more time at the dealer getting worked on than driving. I'm thinking about just getting a Scion TC or a Civic just to rack up miles on if I do decide to trade it in.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sad to say...

that your experience with Mini service isn't unique, and it's too bad that this is ruining your experience.

1) If you're out of warranty, blow off the dealer and find a trustworthy shop nearby and you're life will be better.

2) If you're not out of warranty, take it to the dealer for the free work. For the work you pay for, see #1.

3) write to Mini USA and let them know it's not the car that's getting you to change (if you do), but it's the customer support via your local dealer. Sad thing is, with the volumes that Mini sells in the US, there will never be as many dealers as other marques have, and you'll be stuck with your local Mini dealer or a long drive for Warranty work. Unless you live in a big metro area. Here in the CA bay area, we have 3 dealers, and a fourth a couple hours away in Sacrameto. I guess we're just lucky!

Good luck with the support issues, I hope they step up.

Also, if it's the same issue they're not fixing, check into the Lemon Laws of your state. Maybe they'll get you a new one for free!

Matt

Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
What kind of issues? Are they items that really need to be addressed when they happen or are they just items that could hold off until you have time and more larger problems occur... And then just eventually get them taken care of before the warranty is up?

On these forums it seems that many many people put this car down for very minor things wrong that have nothing to do with the mechanical operation of the car. Not saying you are but I get that impression from a lot of people.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And there are many people here who will tollerate and dismiss all kinds of defects for the privilege of driving a MINI. That is why the dealers (and MINI) can act like they are doing you some monumental favor if they actually do fix a problem. Personally, I bought a new car that I expect to be free of defects, including non-catostrphic ones. Damn right I will insist the dealer fix them.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

It's a brand new and far from cheap car... everything should work and work well.

I shouldn't have to collect problems for a while until it's worth a trip to the dealer. And I didn't... I had two MINIs, one was lemmoned and the other was a PITA. I absolutely adored both of them and wouldn't discourage anyone else from getting one but it just wasn't for me.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM
mtbmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

It's a brand new and far from cheap car... everything should work and work well.

I shouldn't have to collect problems for a while until it's worth a trip to the dealer. And I didn't... I had two MINIs, one was lemmoned and the other was a PITA. I absolutely adored both of them and wouldn't discourage anyone else from getting one but it just wasn't for me.
So what did you end up with?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Mazdaspeed turbo Miata

I've only put about 6K on it so far but not a single problem. My 1st MINI was lemmoned at 13K and the second, I owned for 20K miles and it was at the dealer 6 or 7 times.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
One thing I notice, is the number of people giving up on their Minis because the local dealer sucks.

Go to another dealer if you can, but contacting MiniUSA is a good idea.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by minismitty
I am fed up with my local MINI dealer and having to take it in literally every 1-2 weeks for the last few months to get things fixed. I love my MINI but it seems like it spends more time at the dealer getting worked on than driving. I'm thinking about just getting a Scion TC or a Civic just to rack up miles on if I do decide to trade it in.
I know exactly how you feel, I started a similar thread a few months ago. Unfortunately there really isnt much of anything on the market that I like and is a practical daily driver. (Atom in -3 winter with snow conditions as late as April not exactly a fun commute in an open cockpit)
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
that your experience with Mini service isn't unique, and it's too bad that this is ruining your experience.

1) If you're out of warranty, blow off the dealer and find a trustworthy shop nearby and you're life will be better.

2) If you're not out of warranty, take it to the dealer for the free work. For the work you pay for, see #1.

3) write to Mini USA and let them know it's not the car that's getting you to change (if you do), but it's the customer support via your local dealer. Sad thing is, with the volumes that Mini sells in the US, there will never be as many dealers as other marques have, and you'll be stuck with your local Mini dealer or a long drive for Warranty work. Unless you live in a big metro area. Here in the CA bay area, we have 3 dealers, and a fourth a couple hours away in Sacrameto. I guess we're just lucky!

Good luck with the support issues, I hope they step up.

Also, if it's the same issue they're not fixing, check into the Lemon Laws of your state. Maybe they'll get you a new one for free!

Matt
I had a horrible time with MINI service I have made efforts to go beyond the dealer and MINIUSA has ignored me, my experiance does not maje it so I am comfortable reccomending the MINI brand to anyone. MINI spent more in parts and labor over a 9 month period than the actual cost of the vehicle, if all that time in the shop wasnt under warranty I'd have sold the MINI a long time ago.

Interesting thing is, I decided to start doing all the work myself, MUCH less time fixing things and PHENOMINAL customer service Leads me to contemplate how many issues came from dealer ineptitude.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Judging from my experience with MINI USA, it would be a waste of time to contact them.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
They did nothing for me.

I would hope that cases like my 04 which costs them more than the value of the car would cause them to make changed... maybe so, maybe not.

I still loved both cars though. I always tell people who ask about them that they do have problems, but not al of them. Plenty of people hav MINIs that run like champs for a long time. My advice is if you get one keep it until the warranty is up and then get rid of it as soon as humanly possible. Well, unless your dealer is hours away or it acts up as frequently as mine, causing lots of headaches and missed work. Just don't put up with it either way.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Close, but not exactly worthless...

Originally Posted by LynnEl
Judging from my experience with MINI USA, it would be a waste of time to contact them.
fact is Mini is still selling lots of cars in the US relative to the allotment, so the demand for the product is still high, and that can lead to corporate arrogence. BUT with more and more comments coming in that some dealerships suck, and more and more competition for the Mini (forgot the MS Turbo Miata, sounds like fun!), MINI better listen, or all of a suddent they'll find that they have to seduce customers to come buy again. And it's always harder to re-create demand once you've crapped on it than to just do what's needed to keep it there while you have a good market position.

One letter or comment, nothing. Many letters and comments, starts to sway some.....

Mini of Mt View in CA started totally crappy for service. (You should have heard some of the conversation I'd had with them, it was like talking to a kindergardner that kept saying "I"m not listening!). They got enough comments to hire a new service co-ordinator and while she's not perfect either, she's a big improvement over how they started operating in 02 when the Mini was new.... So there is hope for change....

Matt

Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Testify!

A recent double-blind experiment has shown that the success rates of having Mini USA deal with an issue and having the issue resolved by tossing a coin in a fountain and making a wish are roughly the same.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sorry you're having problems, but in my 30 years of dealer experience I firmly believe that there are no bad cars, but there are some really bad dealers and mechanics out there.............

Is there only one dealer in your area?

Here in KC there's only one, but so far it seems to have a good rep, I bought a used '03 MCS Works that's out of warranty so I'll either do my own work, or find an independent shop when I need something done - their labor rates are just too high for me to justify having my routine work done there..........but that's also true of the Lexus and Audi dealers. (my other two cars)

Good luck with your car, and I agree that cars this expensive should not be having problems, let alone repeat trips to the dealer.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
mtbmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
Mazdaspeed turbo Miata

I've only put about 6K on it so far but not a single problem. My 1st MINI was lemmoned at 13K and the second, I owned for 20K miles and it was at the dealer 6 or 7 times.

Nice car!

On my 06 MCS, I have had the tranny replaced due to LSD noise and they had to go back in and replace the clutch as well due do to a popping noise. All in less than 12K.

Now that it is summer, the car is very sluggish just off idle and it drives me crazy that my wife's Camry is more responsive when pulling away from redlights. Of course I can slip the clutch and do a racing start and the car will take off like a rocket, but that gets old in a hurry in Atlanta traffic. My Mini days may be numbered.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
fact is Mini is still selling lots of cars in the US relative to the allotment, so the demand for the product is still high, and that can lead to corporate arrogence.
Someone posted this in another thread on handling. UK website. They are talking 06s but check out the comments made by owners.

"With buyers queuing around the block to sign on the dotted line ever since the MINI was launched ... it seems the MINI love affair is short-lived once you’'ve left the showroom. One of this year’'s big strugglers, it has slumped to 26th in the manufacturer chart."

I still hope MINI gets their "reliability" act together.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
It wasn't a big deal, but when my dealer tried to reneg on our contract and claimed that they have to remove the rear bumper to install mudflaps (obviously false, as I can clearly see they are bolted on over the bumber), I contacted MINI to see if the bumper removal claim was, in fact, true, they told me they "can't get involved." Involved??????? They built the damn cars.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
olcorral
2nd Gear
Okay you guys, this is getting me a little nervous. I've just placed an order for a Mini S two days ago and I'm getting this about Mini dealers AND Mini USA?!!?
What is the deal here? I don't think Toyota would do this and I know this for a fact after owning several over soo many years.
An unresponsive dealer and Corporation is intolerable when having problems with a car still under warrenty. Has anyone gathered the troups and contacted MiniUSA to complain?
Only voices in numbers can be heard.
Being an Apple, Inc products consumer, we had issues that many complained to Apple and was finally heard. That brought on changes from the new products as well as honoring past purchasers of faulty products.
So are these issues isolated to the few or are they part of a larger group of an elite, proud group of Mini owners who will, for the sake of pride, continue to tolerate such terrible behavior on the part of the dealers and Corporation?
I still have time to back out of this deal.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I wouldn't back out. My car has been great. And the dealer does seem to be coming around. But, MINI is being very short-sighted with it's "take it or leave it" attitude.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
MINIUSA is, in fact, a middle-man between MINI-corporate/BMW and the dealer network. However their tactic of making you think that the dealers have final say is pure, unadulterated BS. Our warranties are not with the dealer, they are with MINI. What MINIUSA does not tell you is that the logical step, when confronted with an uncooperative dealer, is to go to corporate. They issue the warranty, they have the final say in what happens (and end up on the wrong end of a consumer-protection lawsuit if they don't live up to the terms of the contract).
This is why they have factory Field Service Engineers running around, to make sure the dealers aren't getting them into something they don't like.

Sorry to be so wordy; the Vicodins are kicking in. NAP TIME!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by olcorral
I don't think Toyota would do this and I know this for a fact after owning several over soo many years.
Do not let ancedotal experiences scare you away. Ppl will tell you Toyotas are Appliances. Well, they are and they do that VERY well. PPL put up with MINIs far longer than they would tolerate otherwise (my opinion). Some ppl have had issues, others not.

On the other hand, buy with open eyes. Read the complaints. Know what your getting into. Its a two way street. Be knowledgable about the past and current R56 complaints.

MINIs are FUN.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
minismitty
2nd Gear
I dont know what Im going to do yet, I love my MINI but I get a discount on Honda's through work so if I do anything it would probably be a new Si which is nice but it does not have nearly the personality as the MINI has. As to the question about the issues Im having: the last two times they had to replace the transmission and a wheel bearing. Also my fog light got messed up in the dealer's car wash a few weeks ago and Im still arguing with them to try to get them to fix what they did to my car. Like I said though, despite all the stuff going wrong with it I would hate to see it go but I will definetly get rid of it before the warranty is up.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Yep Toyota's & Honda's are appliances, damn reliable ones at that. I love my MINI & it's been reliable. If it becomes a frequent flier at the dealers service bay I'll end my relationship with it. Sad, but true.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
paker
Neutral
I have to tell you all I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about buying a Mini. My old third gen 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse has 102,000 miles and has never gave me the first bit of trouble. I think I'll lurk a bit more and make up my mind if I'll buy a Mini or go a different direction.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I have two cars ordered, one on the way and one ready to be built. I'm not buying two, just a mix up. I must be crazy. Its like a roll of the dice and you don't think your going to get the one that has problems. I guess my fear is that everytime you get in the car, you wait for the other shoe to drop and the CEL goes on driving home from the dealership, it sputters at a light. If you are Tony Saprano, the car explodes.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the MINI in...